Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 03:25 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

It is different. After 30 years of a 5th wheel we are on a MH learning curve. So far, in a few days of ownership the most annoying thing we have found is that we need to start the MH to put the slides in and out. In a 5th you didn't need to do that.
Don't understand why the slides don't run off of the house batteries. Also, the low ceiling takes some getting use to but it is nice not to need a step stool to get to some of the cabinets. Also are adapting to a lot less space inside. Need to do some serious cleaning out. Lack of inside 110v plugs seems to be a problem, and none on the outside, one on each side would have been nice.

We are still moving in and won't be going out in it until the fall for our winter journey of 5 months.

We find the manuals reasonable complete. Still don't understand the need for the lock on the slide covers, our 5th wheels never had them nor needed them.

That's our initial impressions.

Random question: We put the MH back into storage yesterday. Turned off all the batteries but the steps still worked. Is this suppose to be? Are the steps hard-wired to the battery, did we miss a switch someplace?

Thaks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Sue46, you do not need to run the chassis engine if you are connected to shore power to move the slides in and out.
There is a 110VAC receptacle in the top of the compartment just behind the entrance door. It is brown and hard to see and there should be a small door in the bottom to run a cord through.
If your 5th wheel had slide out toppers it had the same devices to prevent the cover from unrolling.
Yes the steps are hard wired to the battery so you can get in and out of the coach after you disconnect the batteries.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Our billowing device is not in the correct orientation on any of our slide toppers. Will get to work on that. Regarding the steps, the battery turn off is on the step well
which you turn off once you are out of the trailer for storage. That is why it didn't make any sense to us since you didn't need the steps any longer.

Does anyone know if, when plugged into shore power, the chassis battery will charge? In one of the many manuals it mentioned this but we have no idea if it is on our rig. Need to think of a way to test it.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Our passenger, bedroom slide stopped after a couple of uses. There was some of the shipping plastic wadded up on the floor. They us it to cover the carpet while shipping. PDI crew didn't get it all removed. Call dealer!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Sue46, your coach has a Battery Isolation Manager relay. When plugged into shore power and the coach battery is not disconnected the relay will keep the chassis battery charged. I do not see a volt meter on your One Place Systems Center so you will have to check the chassis battery with a volt meter to make sure.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Sue46, another note on the steps it would be a bit of a safety issue if someone was inside and open the door expecting the steps to come out and they didn't.
I just when out and looked at the locking devices on out long slide and they were pointing straight out and only had one screw in each device, we have one on each end. I re-position them and installed the screw in one hole and a pop rivet in the other hole. I had the topper cover replaced under warranty and did not check . Has long as they are pointing close to straight up when the slide is in they are good.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:13 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Never thought of the safety issue. Thanks all. We have the MH in storage now but will have it back in a few weeks, needed a break from moving in and learning everything. We are busy reading the books and getting confused. I am sure after one trip out we will have most things figured out. You have all been such a help, Thanks again. As our questions arise I'll post them.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post

[...]

Does anyone know if, when plugged into shore power, the chassis battery will charge? In one of the many manuals it mentioned this but we have no idea if it is on our rig. Need to think of a way to test it.
Sue, this is manufacturer specific and even may be model specific. Example: My 2008 Winnebago requires the steps to be turned off when plugged in or using solar power to keep the batteries maintained. I was having a problem with the batteries staying up above 12v after only a two week absence and plugged in to 110vac. I finally called Winnebago and they informed me that the current draw on the steps is more than the inverter or solar panel can provide. The steps on/off, when the door opens or closes, is regulated by a current limiter switch and has a continuous a current draw.

Once I knew that and turned the steps off before we left it parked in storage I never had a battery problems again.

So, with your brand new Winnebago, call them at (800) 537-1885 and ask questions. They have always been helpful answering questions on the phone. Have you Winnebago serial number available (Not the VIN#).
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

I have emailed them several times and rarely get an answer. I came from a Heartland 5th wheel and customer service was superior. They even monitored the forum and had an ATF(Ask the Factory) section that was followed and answered by them on a daily basis.

The other item that concerns me is that apparently Winnebago will not supply parts to a customer, only a dealer?? It this true? Heartland would send parts to anyone. Is this standard in the MH industry or just Winnebago.? At the price dealers charge I would need to be desperate. We wanted an extra circuit breaker(15a) and priced the dealer +$15, bought the exact same one and brand at Napa for $5. I think tripling the prices is a bit excessive.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Grant,

Looking at your picture we don't think we have that plastic piece that is screwed to the side of your rig. Maybe we have a different model???

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I find it best to call as they get inundated with emails.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have emailed them several times and rarely get an answer. I came from a Heartland 5th wheel and customer service was superior. They even monitored the forum and had an ATF(Ask the Factory) section that was followed and answered by them on a daily basis.

The other item that concerns me is that apparently Winnebago will not supply parts to a customer, only a dealer?? It this true? Heartland would send parts to anyone. Is this standard in the MH industry or just Winnebago.? At the price dealers charge I would need to be desperate. We wanted an extra circuit breaker(15a) and priced the dealer +$15, bought the exact same one and brand at Napa for $5. I think tripling the prices is a bit excessive.
They need to keep their dealers - well dealing for them so parts are through dealers. However, you can order from 3rd party and it is a lot cheaper. Example: Needed a step motor. Service manager said they were $250+. I told him to wait. Looked up the part number on-line and found the same motor for $79.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
I find it best to call as they get inundated with emails.
Times ten fold! Call.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Grant,

Looking at your picture we don't think we have that plastic piece that is screwed to the side of your rig. Maybe we have a different model???
I can see the spacer in your top picture, there are several ways of installing them to get the right distance. See picture below. Your right side front slide does not have one because it is enclosed in a cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper Spacer extensions.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	95424  
Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

For some of the parts that you need, do a search on line. A good example would be the actuators that lock the locks on my cargo doors --- through a dealer, they cost about 75.00 each --- they are the same as an auto lock actuator and that can be bought on Ebay for about 7.00 each. I have found that a lot of the suppliers to Winnebago will sell directly to you as the end user --- just look around if you are capable of doing the fix and you will usually find the part at a more reasonable cost.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

On our 30T I was told that the house battery charger doesn't charge the chassis battery. Our 04 Sightseer had an after market "splitter" of some sort in the battery compartment that charged the chassis battery. Haven't taken the time yet to check but also not sure the best way to do that. I suspect one would check the house batteries with a Volt meter when charging to check voltage in system then check to chassis battery to see if it is the same but not sure. Any suggestions?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

jazzerjump, you were told correctly your 2012 30T does not have the Battery Isolation Manager Relay. Your isolation relay is the standard single purpose relay. I like the Trik-L-Start for keeping the chassis battery charged install and forget.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jazzerjump, you were told correctly your 2012 30T does not have the Battery Isolation Manager Relay. Your isolation relay is the standard single purpose relay. I like the Trik-L-Start for keeping the chassis battery charged install and forget.
Thanks Grtharris. I will probably look into that. Does it tie into the inverter/solar charging systems or does it need 110. The one in the Sightseer tied into the converter charging system as far as I could tell.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

jazzerjump, I connect it across the isolation relay. The attached drawing is for a 2004 33L, yours has another disconnect relay on the left side of the isolation relay. Here is link to the manufacture.
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04 33L Tril l Start.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	95564  
Old 05-30-2015, 03:48 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

I have a random question: How does the search work in IRV2? I do a search, it says there are 50 threads and nothing shows up. Do I need to set a special option? I use Firefox. Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have a random question: How does the search work in IRV2? I do a search, it says there are 50 threads and nothing shows up. Do I need to set a special option? I use Firefox. Thanks

Sue
Don't swipe down. Swipe to the right and select search.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432989202.374759.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	95623

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide