Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hello, all:

My 2004 36' Journey has developed a bad habit. When I retract the front slide, as observed from inside the coach, the top of the slide seems to have shifted to the left about an inch as the slide is coming in and/or going out. The result is that the left edge (near the top) scrapes the layered mirror, to the point that the "wood" trim (actually made of cardboard composition) has sheared off, thankfully not breaking the appliqued mirror "diamonds". The trim has sheared off and I am collecting pieces of it so that I may glue them back together if and when the slide can be straightened up.

The levelers are solidly down and the coach is level (I measured it with a carpenter's level) and the indicator lights on the HWH controller panel all go out, indicating a level condition.

My question and my need is: How can I adjust the slide mechanism so the slide will be properly aligned?

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello, all:

My 2004 36' Journey has developed a bad habit. When I retract the front slide, as observed from inside the coach, the top of the slide seems to have shifted to the left about an inch as the slide is coming in and/or going out. The result is that the left edge (near the top) scrapes the layered mirror, to the point that the "wood" trim (actually made of cardboard composition) has sheared off, thankfully not breaking the appliqued mirror "diamonds". The trim has sheared off and I am collecting pieces of it so that I may glue them back together if and when the slide can be straightened up.

The levelers are solidly down and the coach is level (I measured it with a carpenter's level) and the indicator lights on the HWH controller panel all go out, indicating a level condition.

My question and my need is: How can I adjust the slide mechanism so the slide will be properly aligned?

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our Journey is a 39K and did the same thing. We were at HWH for a jack check and asked about the slide. They said it's a Winnebago problem so we came on to the factory and it was low on the rear end and high on the front end. This would be fore and aft.

They did adjust it, no clue what they did and when we took it to the service campground for the night had no problems with the slide but while walking around outside I noticed that the "box" was not square in the opening and that if we tried to put the slide in we could possibly crack the side of the coach. Called the service desk and they sent two techs right over and very slowly retracted the slide and the jacks til both were fully stored. We returned to the service bay the next morning for further adjustment.

Finished up with the aft end of the flat floor slide slightly raised inside and the front end is level. Poses no problem going in and out, clears the mirror fine and the slight raise isn't a problem to us.

So to answer your question I have no idea if it is something you can fix but if Winnebago works on it then reoccuring problems are theirs not yours.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Sav:

I am afraid that I may have to take it to a dealership/service company. It is my hope that someone can shed some "easy" fix for me.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AA4WP:
Hello, all:

Thanks for reading. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your coach is out of warranty so unless you have an extended warranty call HWH and then Winnebago Customer Service and see who will provide the best advice on realligning your slide. If you have an extended warranty the see if the cover the adjustment or just the broken parts/damages and then go on from there depending on the coverage.

If the whole slide has shifted to the rear then the guides that keep the slide tracks centered may need replacing whowever HWH should be able to assist you in checking for that.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Neal, we had the same problem with our 2005 Journey. Slide came in, scraped mirror off the wall and went up to the ceiling. We left it retracted and went back to dealer for the fix.
It was "out of synchonization". Fortunately, it was under warranty. Took dealer about 2 hours for the adjustment.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Roscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for you thoughts...

The idea of taking this coach back to a dealership or to Forest City with the hope that the resolution would be satisfying caused me to re-think the problem.

I re-checked the level of the coach with a carpenter's level, found that it was level, front to back and side to side. Then I noticed that the driveway under the back wheels was lower than the driveway under the front wheels. I further noted that the clearance over the front wheels was way less than the clearance over the rear wheels (I've learned to look there after our air-bag incident last winter). So, I figured that the levelers were pushing the chassis up lots more in the rear than in the front. I then gently released the levelers in the rear, then checked the alignment of the slide next to the mirror wall. The clearance increased; I then could move the slide in or out without it scraping the mirror wall.

My strategy from now on setting up in a site will be:

1. Check for clearances (as usual)
2. Check if coach is level
3. If level, put down levelers enough to take the bulge out of the tires.
4. If not very unlevel, put down the levelers enough to take the bulge out of the tires.
5. If really unlevel, put offending wheels on planks which will be carried routinely from now on.
6. Do step 3 or 4 OR reposition the coach OR find a better site.
7. Extend the slide after checking if the slide "box" is clearing the mirror wall.

I am using step 4 in our driveway, and it seems to work. The Fridge is OK with that.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Our 04 Meridian 36G has even broken the mirror [$150+ to replace].
Seems like the front slide 'misalignment' is worse when on a very non-level site. I have DW watch the clearance as we retract slide. If it looks too close to mirror or speaker, I stop and extend slide back out and pull jacks up. Now when retracting the front slide, the clearance is usually okay.
There may be differences between coaches, but this is our work-around. Have not contacted HWH but this message thread is making me reconsider that too.
Good luck-one of my major frustrations with the coach.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have the same problem - 2004 Itasca Meridian, 36G - actually broke our mirror and tore off the upper corner trim on the slide. Glued the cardboard trim back together and trimmed the left side a little then reattached. Winnebago says 1. Don't overload the slide bins 2. Always run it completely in or out, never stop part way and 3. Hold the button 3-5 seconds after the slide gets out or in before you release it to equalize the hydraulic cylinders. Don't know if I need it to be adjusted, it hasn't happened again (and I was overloaded and had just run it partially in). I still haven't replaced the mirror. - Tony
Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

talotto
1. How much is an overloaded bin??
2. We have to stop part way if the slide is going to hit the mirror.
3. I do this part.

The mirror was over 150 plus labor.
Otherwise a pretty good coach.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

JonD:

I normally carry about 100-150 pounds in the bins. Small grill, hoses, tarp and standard coach ladder & tools. Plus food and drinks kinda stuff in the interior overhead shelves and under the booth seats. For that trip I had probably 300 pounds in several large tubs plus some boxes of books in the outer bins, and normal load inside. Probably wasn't too well balanced front to back, and I had brought it partially out, then in when it happened. - Tony