Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Problem Finally Resolved

We own a 2016 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 40R and during the last leg of our cross-country trip the full wall Power Gear Slide stopped working. Thankfully it was in the retracted position so we were able get from place to place. I placed a call to Winnebago and they referred it to a tech who called me back. He only provided limited information which was not helpful and I also emailed Lippert and they said they would get back to me in a few days. That was 2 weeks ago. I called a local dealership who dispatched a mobile mechanic who drove to my site and he also called Winnebago. He gave the Winnebago tech their dealer number and I was shocked to hear the specific details that were provided to the mobile tech that they never gave me when I called. It turns out that there are 2 micro switches hidden in the top of 2 cabinets that housed the pistons that are part of the slide locking system. One of the pistons was stuck and needed to be lubricated and now all is fine. I am a mechanical engineer who could have resolved this problem if they only supplied me with the same information but I guess thats how they repay the dealers for selling their products. Very frustrating!! On a favorable note, I love this Motorhome despite this recent issue.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My PowerGear full wall slide had rubber unbonding. I took it to my dealership and they called to say that the motor housings on both ends of the slide were cracked. After they were replaced I asked to see the slide mechanism. The mechanic said that the cracking near the motors on Power Gear slides is a known problem. I said that when I emailed Winnebago they didn't say anything about my cracking problem. He said that they only talk to dealers about chronic problems.

As a manufacturing engineer I wanted to know if the replacement mechanisms had been redesigned to strengthen the area where the cracking occurred. I got a nonanswer from Winnebago.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the information it may be of help to someone else in the future.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
I got my coach back Thursday for, amongst other repairs, bedroom slide issues. Our coach also had a slide motor housing that was cracked. I ask to see the housing but was told it was packed to be shipped to the manufacturer. However, the tech did come up to the service desk and showed me pictures. The housing is made of plastic. He told me that usually broken components are not sent back. He went on to say that Lippert is probably having some issues with the housing because they requested the part back. Usually when they want the part back it is to examine it because of some issue. I asked if the replacement housing was upgraded housing or the same. He didn’t know and said that if it was upgraded, they may not be told. I told the tech, that speaking for the 33C’s, I can see why the cracked housing is may be happening and I believe that this will be a continuing problem. He didn’t disagree with me and I could see from his facial expressions and half shaking his head in acknowledgement that he thought there may be some merit to this.
No problems with the full wall slide yet.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I will try to post pictures. Photobucket used to work OK but now it is difficult to use because of the adds.

There may be better ways to post photos.

These are pictures of the Power Gear slide mechanism on the full wall slide on a 2016 Sightseer 33C.

Safe travels. JD
Old 11-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

JD

Your last picture looks exactly like the one the tech showed me.

ed
Old 11-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ed.

I've had three out of four slide mechanisms replaced. I had my dealership check the one not replaced as yet, the forward-most bedroom slide mechanism. They said that it is OK.

I asked Winnebago if they had fixed the design flaw and I got a non answer. I asked the mechanic at the dealership if the part had been redesigned and he didn't know

I took possession of our 2016 Sightseer 33C in August 2015. Most of the time we have had our RV there has been a growing list of faults. Winnebago fixed everything at the GNR. Upon departing the GNR the list of faults started growing. For the first time since leaving the GNR there are no known faults on our RV.

We will be attending a WIT rally here in Washington State neext week. I'm hoping that no new problems crop up.

Safe travels. JD
Old 11-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Ed.

I've had three out of four slide mechanisms replaced. I had my dealership check the one not replaced as yet, the forward-most bedroom slide mechanism. They said that it is OK.

Safe travels. JD
JD

Maybe you know this, but from the information I got from Camping World Service Writer is that the forward slide mechanism does not have a motor.

ed
Old 11-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
JD

Maybe you know this, but from the information I got from Camping World Service Writer is that the forward slide mechanism does not have a motor.

ed
Well I guess I spoke to soon. I was optimistic, but that quickly dissolved this morning. Our rear slide does not seat properly. We had friends visit this weekend, and they were interested in seeing the coach.

Basically, the slide out does not seat properly. When extended, the aft part of the side will seal against the interior wall while the forward part does not seal. The forward part of the slide has a gap somewhere around an inch between the wall and the slide fascia plate. If I nudge the foot of the bed on the forward side, the slide will move and the fascia plate will seal.

When retracted, the slide does not completely seal on the exterior. There is gap between the exterior wall and the sealing edge of the slide on the aft portion of the slide.

Also, when extending and retracting the slide, the slide will often jump. This occurs on the forward side of the slide.

We also have a large and growing list of faults some of which Winnebago would not fix because “others” were built the same way. The coach has been down 30% of ownership time since picking it up the end of February. I will call CW Monday and add to my down time. Very, very frustrating.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

So sorry Ed.

We received our 33C in August 2015 and we have owned our RV about six months longer. I believe we have worked through all of our major problems. I!m hoping nothing new crops up.

I believe that you will see an end to your problems at some point.

That said I still don't know if Power Gear has modified its design and fixed their cracking problem. I would like to know if my slide mechanisms will need to be replaced in the future.

Perhaps Camping World can get an answer from Winnebago or Power Gear that we couldn't get.

Safe travels. JD
Old 11-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
So sorry Ed.

We received our 33C in August 2015 and we have owned our RV about six months longer. I believe we have worked through all of our major problems. I!m hoping nothing new crops up.

I believe that you will see an end to your problems at some point.

That said I still don't know if Power Gear has modified its design and fixed their cracking problem. I would like to know if my slide mechanisms will need to be replaced in the future.

Perhaps Camping World can get an answer from Winnebago or Power Gear that we couldn't get.

Safe travels. JD
JD

Thanks for the word of encouragement.

First let me say, that I was give wrong information by two Service Advisors about the number of motors in the bedroom slide. I talked with the tech working on it twice yesterday, once on the phone and once in person, and he said that there are two motors. Even though I am pretty deaf, I still could hear what I thought were two motors. If I would have looked at he work order a little closer, I would have seen that both were replaced.

After talking with the tech, it appears that the slide has a synchronization issue between the two sides. The tech was going to do it while I waited, but it was late and I didn't want to have him feel rushed. I think that he felt a little better about that and he said that he would get it in the shop and I should have it by today. He told me that there are lot of people who have had trouble with theirs and that I was lucky to get 100 plus cycles out of mine.

After talking with him last Thursday, he looked into the motor housing upgrade. He said that repairs are being done with the stronger assemblies and that is what I have. I guess now I have to worry about large slide. I sure would like to get that one done just as a PM thing.

I will keep you posted.

ed

Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I got the coach back today. Slide adjustments were done and the slide is moving straight in and out. No jumping or diagonal movement. Though during set-up my wife has the slide out chore with me doing it once in a while, the movement of the slide seems smoother and quieter. We are planning to use the coach for a two week period over Thanksgiving and hope for smooth sailing.
By the way, I ordered 5-Star and it should be her by the end of the week.

Tags
slide