Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 32-ft Brave. Owned it for a little over 1 year now.

The bedroom slider will creep out about 2-5 inches when stored in the retracted position. In the driveway or in storage, no difference.

It is unpredictable... it can happen (creep out)in a few hours or over a couple of weeks. It will extend an inch or 6 inches, average 4".

I contacted HWH. Per their recommendations I purchased and installed a new solenoid ont the retracting side of the pump system. It didn't stop it from creeping open.

It's in winter storage now. I stop by and check on the MH every month. I check the outside and inside, start up the engine and retract the slider.

When spring arrives I'll be able to trouble shoot again. I will also be contacting HWH... BUT I am also asking of any assistance out there on this problem.

Anyone hava a similar problem? Suggestions on possible action?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 32-ft Brave. Owned it for a little over 1 year now.

The bedroom slider will creep out about 2-5 inches when stored in the retracted position. In the driveway or in storage, no difference.

It is unpredictable... it can happen (creep out)in a few hours or over a couple of weeks. It will extend an inch or 6 inches, average 4".

I contacted HWH. Per their recommendations I purchased and installed a new solenoid ont the retracting side of the pump system. It didn't stop it from creeping open.

It's in winter storage now. I stop by and check on the MH every month. I check the outside and inside, start up the engine and retract the slider.

When spring arrives I'll be able to trouble shoot again. I will also be contacting HWH... BUT I am also asking of any assistance out there on this problem.

Anyone hava a similar problem? Suggestions on possible action?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jim:

Had similar problem with my bedroom slide last year. I replaced both my retract and extend solenoids and it fixed it for a short time but the problem re-occurred. HWH had me checking the system for leaks...none found. We finally decided I might have a bad main cylinder in the rear slide...if it leaks internally, the slide can creep. I was pondering a trip to HWH when I decided to order yet another solenoid to have for a spare. I replaced the retract solenoid again and it has fixed the problem for about 8 months now. Perhaps, HWH had a bad run of those rebuilt solenoids.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you are addressing the possible mechanical reasons. There is another possible cause -- air in the lines.

When we had the problem early on, we called our ERS, Coach-Net, and talked to a tech. He told us NEVER open or close a slide part way, but ALWAYS go all the way open or closed, then continue to hold the button down for 3-5 seconds after the slide stops moving. When ours were creeping out, he told us to run them all the way out, holding the button down 3-5 seconds after they stopped, then run them all the way back in, again holding the buttong down for 3-5 seconds after they stopped.

We have never again had a problem with the lounge/galley slide, but do sometimes find the bedroom slide creeps in a bit. Normally, the run it all the way in and back out and hold the button procedure will cure it for awhile. We have never changed a solenoid, and suspect we might need to on the bedroom slide.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to smlranger and AFChap,

It will be hard waiting for the spring thaw to have the chance to call HWH and try out your suggestions. (I guess we are winter weenies when it comes to year round camping in the Buckeye State.)

I am surprised that there aren't more MH'r that have experienced the same problem.

Jan. 7th... O-H-I-O Go Bucks!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Journey.I have had many problem with my HwH system from the day I purchased it new. I have a pile of work orders.All the jacks,except one has been replaced, One ram on rear slide,hose and pipe fitting replaced,pump assembly rebuilt.And now it's setting in the back yard with the other ram on rear slide with a blow seal and the one jack they have not replaced is not working.With the rear ram leaking the front slide will go out some. I just have to keep a eye on it. I got a couple of peace of wood and jambed it between the wall and slide lib inside.With the seal leaking which is the pressure side of the ram that keep the slide in and cause the system to lose pressure. With the warranty been out four months guess who gets the bill. You would think that they would cover this with the continues problem I have.They sure don't answer e-mails.If I ever get another coach I will make sure it don't have there system on it.With your slide coming out I would say from my side you have a leak some where.They have a problem with some of the hose they used is bad. If you look at you lines and see a bubble then you have that hose.It's not the fitting as some will say.I think I have been out one time with out a hydraulic problem.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with my 99 Adventurer DP single slide-out. I replaced the check valve and both solenoids with no success. Finally I had both room cylinders replaced and that fixed the problem.

HWH tech support can be helpful (Steve). Also, on their web site, there is some info on troubleshooting slideout problems. I assume you've "roamed" their site for that info. If not, you should.

I believe hose problems, common with some Winnys in your year range, could also cause this problem.

One thing I learned was to take it to a certified HWH repair facility to have it fixed. I learned the hard way that the "run-of-the-mill" rv repair shop can mess things up and cost a lot of money without fixing the problem. Ask HWH tech support who they recommend in your area.

Good luck.
DanS is offline   Reply With Quote