Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know of any pressure-relief mechanisms that automatically compensate for air movement while extending or retracting slide-outs?

I have noticed several friends' seals being twisted and coming to rest in crumpled positions (both in motorhomes and trailers) after extending their slides because the only place for the displaced air to go was through the slide opening and past the seals.

When allowed to rest in these odd positions, the seals sometimes tend to not return to normal when closed and some develop leaks.

I compensate by opening a window or door each time I extend or retract any slide-out and my seals always follow correct adaptation to the movement and are always resting correctly when the movement is completed.

Any thoughts?
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know of any pressure-relief mechanisms that automatically compensate for air movement while extending or retracting slide-outs?

I have noticed several friends' seals being twisted and coming to rest in crumpled positions (both in motorhomes and trailers) after extending their slides because the only place for the displaced air to go was through the slide opening and past the seals.

When allowed to rest in these odd positions, the seals sometimes tend to not return to normal when closed and some develop leaks.

I compensate by opening a window or door each time I extend or retract any slide-out and my seals always follow correct adaptation to the movement and are always resting correctly when the movement is completed.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">compensate by opening a window or door each time I extend or retract any slide-out and my seals always follow correct adaptation to the movement and are always resting correctly when the movement is completed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can't you just open the door?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The seals (which for the most part you cannot see) are not sealed except when the slide is either all the way in, or all the way out. While moving inward or outward, the gaskets you see on the sides and top that flip in or out are nowhere near tight enough to create a vacuum. If they were, you would be popping your ears, and feeling other effects while moving the slides!

I've seen "seals" that don't fully flip, but that is normally an adjustment or over-lubrication issue.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #6

LOL....You are not creating pressure by opening and closing your slides....these units aren't THAT air tight.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you think you are not creating pressure, just open the driver's window and stand close to it while extending the front slide. You will feel a lot of air moving through the window.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a lot of air moving </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I grant you can feel some air movement, but some air moving is not the same as having a tight enough seal to create a vacuum, pop your ears, etc.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm not talking about sufficient pressure to pop the ears.

There is sufficient pressure, however, to distort the flapping gaskets. These gaskets do not need to be 'lubricated' as indicated earlier in order to function properly.

The flapping gasket is also a functioning part of a proper seal when the slide is in the extended position. The seal on the internal flange of the slide goes up against the internal wall and the flapping gasket provides the external seal. If this seal is distorted, it cannot seal efficiently.

I have demonstrated this on my own motorhome, on motorhomes of others and on trailers.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I've seen "flapping gaskets" that didn't flip, on my coach and others, but whether or not a window or door was open didn't happen to make any difference.

No one said they need to be lubricated to work (well, actually Winnebago DOES say you should lubricate them with corn starch, and they will also tell you that whether or not the outer seal flips should make no difference as to the slide being sealed against weather, etc when fully out) ...what I said is that over lubrication (ie. making them too slick) or a slide that is out of adjustment can cause them not to flip.

I've never heard anyone raise this "problem" before, but if you believe "pressure" is a problem, then the obvious easy solution is to open a window ...do what makes you feel good!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hmmmm....
Brings to mind a question of what is the proper lube for the seals as the previous owner of my coach left me a couple cans of (I think) silicone spray. He said to spray it on and wipe it off or at least wipe off what you can reach. He also said if you cant reach the seals way inside under the topper not to worry about it. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. I have just had my coach in for preventavive maint on engine, transmission, differential &splines, and the generator. They also replaced brake pads and re sealed the marker lights above the windshield. I plan to lube the seals but now Im not so sure I have the right stuff......
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I use something called Jig-A-Loo in a spray can. Can be bought at walmart and other places. It contains no oil or grease and won't stain. Its a clear odorless lubricant that works well on most any surface. Give it a try,I think you'll like it.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I've had the problem of the seals not "flipping" since day one with my new coach. The dealer tried mounting several small rubber bumpers to encourage the flip. They helped but it wasn't a complete fix.

I've found that keeping the seals lubricated really helps in my case. I still sometimes get a crumpled seal when I extend the slides but I now just use awning tool (the long wire thing) to run up under any crumpled seal I see and it straightens right out. Not a great design IMHO.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I still say that all you have to do is open a door or window when moving the slides and you should have no more problems with gaskets that don't flip.

One slide 2.5ft X 6ft X 13ft moves about 195 cubic ft of air each extension or retraction.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

"Should" is the operative word. If only it were so.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Winnebago says "Use corn starch."

If you think your seals need lubed, and you want to used some kind of sray or similar stuff, be sure you do not use any petroleum based sprays as they will eventually dry the rubber out rather than helping. I think Silicone spray is in the category, but I'm not sure of that. (The same goes for your tires...). One that is safe to use is 303 Protectorant.

I "lubed" my seals once in about 2003 with corn starch as Winnebago recommends. The result was that the side seals on both slides would not properly flip until I managed to get most of the corn starch off both the rubber and the side of the slide. It also appeared to me that the corn starch would cause minute scratches in the full body paint. (For this same reason, some recommend you clean the dust off the side of your slides before retracting them). I have not lubed my slide seals since 2003.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Paul - in my '04 manual, Winnie now recommends 303, so I guess you were a little bit ahead of them.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have used 303 for several yrs. and I still
have a problem with the slide seals twisting,
or not flipping. I do apply 303 to what I can
get to inside but some(sides)are not accessible,
as are the seals under the awning!!!TENN.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Tenn.Vol, I believe '303' is a protectant for rubber, not a lubricant. That's why it is used on tires, etc.

I might be so bold as to suggest you try the idea of opening a door or window while extending your slide and see if the gaskets twist less. It may take a few cycles to straighten out the folds that have been set but I'm confident you'll like what you see.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

If you have a Camping World near you try this:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...18633&src=SRQB

I have used it for 2 years now and it works great. My 5er is parked outside without a cover.

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote