Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know if Winnwbago uses any electric or automatic locks on any of their slides? Some other brands use various means to keep the slides in under all driving conditions. So far, my assessment of Winnebago's manual strap system on my Journey leaves something lacking so have discontinued their use.

Carle McFarland
2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know if Winnwbago uses any electric or automatic locks on any of their slides? Some other brands use various means to keep the slides in under all driving conditions. So far, my assessment of Winnebago's manual strap system on my Journey leaves something lacking so have discontinued their use.

Carle McFarland
2004 Journey 36G
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No just those el-cheapo straps and pin head screws. If you realy needed a lock down. Why only the front slide. After contacting Winnebago about the straps. I was told there were a cosmetic thing and of very little use. Mine are stored in the basement and the floor brackets removed.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My 06 Itasca Suncruiser 38T has electric locks for both of the slides. They seem to work well and I have had no trouble with them.

After having my left slide topper start billowing in a severe crosswind I was glad we had the electric locks installed as I believe they are stronger than the bottom tie downs. Mine are installed near the middle of the top of the slidesd.

Incidentally, after reading my letter concerning the billowing and my suggestion that the slide toppers have two versus one anti billow lock tab, my dealer is going to add a aft lock to both sides. With the size of these slideouts these days a backup can't hurt. My billowing occured due to a broken anti billow gust lock tab. Don't know if the wind did it or not. A second tab may have allowed me to stay on I-5!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My '07 has electric slide locks as well.

Agree with the functinality, with the locks being much better. Had a problem with my prior Journey with the slide creeping out. That nylon strap sure was straining, but I made it home to have it repaired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Our o7 Vectra has electric lock.
Gary_Phoenix, AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone know if Winnwbago uses any electric or automatic locks on any of their slides? Some other brands use various means to keep the slides in under all driving conditions. So far, my assessment of Winnebago's manual strap system on my Journey leaves something lacking so have discontinued their use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that WInnie started putting the electric slide locks on on 2006. I removed my strap and use the the following bar instead, which is available at camping world. You can check it out at the following link:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...15674&src=SRQB
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
No just those el-cheapo straps and pin head screws. If you realy needed a lock down. Why only the front slide. After contacting Winnebago about the straps. I was told there were a cosmetic thing and of very little use. Mine are stored in the basement and the floor brackets removed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd give my straps a try if I could figure out how they worked!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have a strap for the front but never used it. My slides do not move after retracted. I run the slide for a couple seconds after it is completely retracted as HWH's instructions mention. Possibly this keeps the slides from creeping out.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to the functionality of the lock down straps even among the people at Winnebago.

Last summer at the GNR the factory rep strongly recommended using the straps or other locking devices provided. He said the main reason for using them was to keep the slide from distorting when driving down the road. According to him the aerodynamics of the coach are such that the air flowing over it at 60 mph has a tendency to try to pull the upper rear corner of the main drivers side slide away from the body of the coach.

In some cases the upper rear corner has pulled as much as 6" from the coach body and has deformed the slide. About the only way you'll know it's been damaged is when the rain or snow starts to leak in.

Although we always used the straps I didn't believe they were all that functional. For the 30 seconds it takes to install them I guess it's worth the time.

One humorous point he did make when questioned as to the usefulness of the straps was:

"Do you really think the factory would go to the expense of designing, manufacturing, and installing them if they didn't think they were necessary? If they really didn't need them all that money could have paid my salary for several years."
Old 02-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Update - Winnebago does put them on their newer motorhomes. I talked to W* today to see if they might be at all retro-fittable. It seems that 12 volts needs to be available in the walls at the mounting points and that is the main deterrant in retro-fitting them. Probably, the slide would need to be removed to do the work. The only justification is 1) you have lots of money and don't know anything else to do with it or 2) you've had a bad experience and feel you must do it.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Last summer at the GNR the factory rep strongly recommended using the straps or other locking devices provided. He said the main reason for using them was to keep the slide from distorting when driving down the road. According to him the aerodynamics of the coach are such that the air flowing over it at 60 mph has a tendency to try to pull the upper rear corner of the main drivers side slide away from the body of the coach.

In some cases the upper rear corner has pulled as much as 6" from the coach body and has deformed the slide. About the only way you'll know it's been damaged is when the rain or snow starts to leak in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Starps as far as I know are only installed on the driver's side slide and only on the front behind the driver's seat. How will that keep the wind from pulling out slide at the rear.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

We only have a single slide on the drivers side, but it has locking straps on both ends. One is just behind the drivers seat, the second one is just in front of the wall between the bathroom and the dinette.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We only have a single slide on the drivers side, but it has locking straps on both ends. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected. Until now, I had only seen a single strap mounted on the front of the slide.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I've never used my strap. I read on this forum, or maybe another, where quite a few people forgot about the strap when they extended their slide and it ripped the wood trim from the slide. It cost them a few bucks to replace the trim. I don't believe the strap, or the wood trim, will keep the slide in if some kind of force is extending the slide. As for keeping the rear of the slide in, I only have one strap for the front of my slide. A strap on the front end of a slide will not keep the rear end from moving out if it so chooses.

JD

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Interesting what Winnebago said at the GNR. If what they told you was true they would have install the strap on the rear of my slideout, rather than the front.

I have seen lots of problems but never a slide deformed by the wind pulling out the rear of the slide.

-Tom
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JD Allen:
I've never used my strap. I read on this forum, or maybe another, where quite a few people forgot about the strap when they extended their slide and it ripped the wood trim from the slide. It cost them a few bucks to replace the trim. I don't believe the strap, or the wood trim, will keep the slide in if some kind of force is extending the slide. As for keeping the rear of the slide in, I only have one strap for the front of my slide. A strap on the front end of a slide will not keep the rear end from moving out if it so chooses.

JD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that I think about this, with a strap only on the front if the slide would creep out the front would stay in and the rear would go out, thus creating a bind or a twisted slide box. I'll continue to use no strap.

-Tom
Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We couldn't find our strap and then had the large slide tipping out a good 2-3 inches at the top during a really bad cross wind. We pulled into an RV center to purchase one of those straps and the service guy there assured me that it was normal and that the slide isn't actually going to go anywhere. He said that the large springs holding the slide in place are located in the bottom which is why the slide "may" tip out slightly at the top in the right conditions. He basically said I was wasting my money on the strap but if it made me feel better he would would sell me one. Well, it made me feel better so I bought it and I use it. Just DON'T EVER forget to take it off before running the slide out...or you're gonna need some new trim for that wall.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Large springs??? I don't think your Journey uses any springs in the slide assemblies.

It's a HWH hydraulically operated system.

-Tom
Old 03-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

What I was told makes more sense then cross wind and flex...I was told that the straps/locks, etc. were there to protect passengers sitting on the sofa with their seat belts on.
That's why there isn't any in the bedroom! I guess if you want to catch a few ZZZZZ's while rolling down the road, shame on you!
Because of this I feel it was/is a Winnebago liability issue in case of an accident.
There are only 5 legal positions in a 38G where you should be sitting. Driver/passenger and 3 positions on the sofa.... That's where the seat belt are. The sofa/seat belts are bolted to the floor. If you are sitting standing or sleeping anywhere else, Thats not good my friends!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote