Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

To be honest, I never looked at it. It seemed the way he described it (and it wasn't a Winnebago dealership so he may be off on this) is that the slide is pushed out and drawn in by hydraulic cylinders but that there are also large springs that expand and contract with that. He said it is these springs that are supposed to hold tension on the slide assy. to keep it from "tipping out". Something I guess I'll be looking at my next trip over to the coach.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Ron-in-tn;

I don't see your email address in your profile.

If I did I would have sent you the documentation and adjustment procedures for your flat floor HWH slide system. There are no springs in your system.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Tom

Please do and thank you. Below is my email address.

[email protected]
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

We have an '06 Suncruiser 38J and the only locks there are for the slideouts are the floor straps which pulled the screws out of the floor when I tried to buckle them. While driving home today in very strong crosswinds, the rh slide was tilting in and out 6" at the top. This was on the "leeward" side of the the coach. The only thing I could think was happening was when the wind gusted and the coach tilted to the right, the slide became top-heavy and tried to tilt outward. Turning to the left to straighten out the coach only pushed it out further. Has an anyone tried making locks out of wood and wedging them between the top of the slide and the wall while traveling?
john lipecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I could see how HWH slides could move out but not electric slide with worm gear. The strap seemed like a joke to me, two little screws in the floor and screwed to a wood trim piece. Threw it away.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Our slides do not move at all. Do not use the sraps or any other locking device.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I have 2007 Suncruiser 38J with three slides. The two larger slides have an electric pin that engages with a switch for a positive lock when closed. It works well and keeps the slide in and keeps it from squeaking when we drive.
Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

I sent a E-Mail several years ago to Winnebago about there El Cheapo straps. Told them I did not see how they would hold my Boxer let alonf =n the front slide. Also wjy I needed a strap for the front when there was nothing for the rear.

Got an E-Mail back. Saying that it was more of a cosmetic thing. To make owners feel safer. I took the rustin floor brackets out and stored away with straps in lower cabinet.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:40 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I am still pursuing the idea of retro-fitting electric locks on my 2004 Journey slide-out.

I have downloaded the available wiring diagrams from Winnebago for the 2007 Journey 36G for analysis. It looks like it might be a doable.

One question, though: can anyone out there with locks tell me if an interlock exists so that the slide will not work if the lock is not in the closed (unlocked) position?

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carle:
I am still pursuing the idea of retro-fitting electric locks on my 2004 Journey slide-out.

I have downloaded the available wiring diagrams from Winnebago for the 2007 Journey 36G for analysis. It looks like it might be a doable.

One question, though: can anyone out there with locks tell me if an interlock exists so that the slide will not work if the lock is not in the closed (unlocked) position?

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my Vectra, if the lock is engaged the slide will not operate.

On Edit: With the slide in and lock engaged, the slide will not move until the lock is dissengaged. The lock will move regardless of position of the slide.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

The lock will work at any time. The salesmen didn't know how to work the locks when they first came out. They would push the lock when the slide was out to demonstrate it. This created a problem and they could not get the slide to come back in without somehow resetting the lock. Simply pushing the switch to the unlock position was not enough. The lock is intended for use only with the slide closed.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to Winnebago and was told the locks took a while to engineer and get working correctly and that's why they were not available until the 2007 model year. They acknowlege the top of the slides moving out when driving in a crosswind. Guess I'll make some wood blocking until I get to look at a 2007 and see how they're installed.
john lipecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Yesterday while driving in a strong cross wind in central Illinois, I heard some strange noises coming from the leeward slide. This occurred right after I open my driver's window. My wife informed me the top of the slide was tilting out. I stopped the vehicle and inspected the slide from the outside, and found it to be flush with the side of the motorhome. I ran the slide out and back in thinking that maybe this would help. When I got back on the road the slide started tilting out again. I did find that closing my window helped. I have owned two motorhomes in the last five years and never had this experience while driving in windy conditions. I haven't used the straps, but I will reconsider that option and probably look into buying a slide lock bar (mentioned earlier). I just hope the sidewall can handle the pressure of the lock bar.

Scott Williams
2005 Journey 39F
2004 Honda CRV

2016 Citation 24ST
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

On my 2006 Tour there are straps on the driver's and passenger's side slides. They are both near the bottom and on the front of the slide. The only time I have ever used them was when I brought the coach home from the dealer the day we bought it. We had owned two motorhomes prior to our Tour and neither of them had any type of slide lock, so not being used to the idea, I ran out the passenger slide, instantly hearing a loud pop, and pulled the anchor right out of the floor. Luckily it pulled out that end and not the part attached to the trim and did no damage to the carpet. Needless to say, I did remember to remove the strap from the driver's side slide but I have not used them since. Since I have not experienced any problems in the 2500+ miles over the road since then I plan to remove the lock from the floor on the driver's side and pretend like they never existed.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

i too could imagine woodwork damage and not much else as a result of using the locks. As mentioned before i hold the retract switch for a second or two after the room in retracted. This leaves residual hydraulic pressure in the hose and cylinders possibly. If i wanted to positively insure that there was hydraulic pressure on the retract side of the slide-out cylinders at all time when the room is retracted, i would add counterbalance valves to the cylinder circuits. The system would then need to overcome the pressure setting of the counter balance valve to move the slide-out. This is a proven way other industries control cylinder drift due to outside forces. Counterbalance valves increase cost. When somebody dumps a quarter mil. on a nice rig, the only reason why these aren't incorperated is because the whole system is third party, and the problem hasn't trickled down to HWH. Or they weigh the problem as a 1%er.
Farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote