Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide out is binding

I have a 2007 Navion on a 2006 chassis. I am having issues with the slide out. When I extend it the non drive side (side without the motor) goes out first and begins to bind for a second and then the drive side goes out. When it is fully extended the drive side is about 1" from sealing on inside. If I quickly press retract the drive side closes the gap some but not all the way. When I retract it the slide shifts starting with the non drive side and then the drive sides catches up. It closes tight on both sides snug against the gasket.

I have lubed the rails and awning springs and it still does it. Any idea what I need to do to fix this? I have no idea what system i have as I do not see any names on motor.
chollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Could it be a slight lack of power while extending/retracting the slide?
Is the engine running when you operate the slide? Section 10 in the OM recommends the motor/alternator be running to supply maximum power to the slide motor.
In the same section under Emergency Retraction, it shows where the motor is located under the vehicle, and mentions a "motor brake lever" that must be pulled out to allow manual cranking of the slide to retract it. Could that lever have been partially pulled by something, and has allowed the 2 sides to be slightly out of sync?
Beyond that, if no one else chimes in, get it serviced when you can.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had generator on while doing it. Can you provide copy of manual? I was reading and it says they may be out of sync. I also read to hold the button for 10 seconds after motor stops when retracting and extending. However, I am afraid to do that as I do bot want to burn out motor.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Slides operate off chassis battery, not coach battery. Vehicle engine/alternator must be running to assist slide operation.
Manual can be downloaded at Winnebago website. Use google.
You should always hold the button for a second or two after the slide stops moving to keep dual motors in sync. Probably doesn't apply to single motor slides, but who knows?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just started it and extended/retracted slide out and it still binds. Thanks for manual info. It is a single motor therefore no need for motor sync. Looks like I have to take it in for service.

I just thought of something. The slide out awning was replaced and I wonder if they over tightened spring and this may be causing some issues. I have no idea. I am just talking out loud. Thanks
Old 09-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
You should always hold the button for a second or two after the slide stops moving to keep dual motors in sync. Probably doesn't apply to single motor slides, but who knows?
I think that's probably only modern Lippert slides, and by modern I'm not sure how old, but the OP's RV is 13 years old. I wouldn't do that unless the vehicle manual says to do it.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Here’s a link you your 2007 Navion Operators Manual

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...7/07Navion.pdf

Your manual does say to have the coach level, the parking brake set and the engine running. It’s section 10 in the above pdf.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for info. I did everything that you stated and it still binds. I want to try and extend and then stick cotter pins in topper and retract and extend to see if springs are wound to tight. I will ensure topper hangs over side to not get pulled into retracting slide. I do not see anything that it is snagging on. If this does not give me some insight then off to repair place. It just pains me to do that as I do all maintenance myself and this has never seen an inside of a repair shop for anything, even chassis things as I do all that as well (brakes, engine work etc,).
Old 09-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I changed out slide topper and when I had fabric off I had my son run the slide out and in. I noticed that top right of the slide was catching and causing the slide to stick. I inspected all around there and found no blockage. Is there a way to lower the right side a 1/8-1/4" to prevent it from binding. It appears that side is higher than the other side?
Old 09-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I figured it out. It is not that the top is off, it is that the rails are not even. I extended it 1/2 way and stopped it and counted the number of grooves that the gears slide on and the left had 7 more holes in the gear rail than the right. This would cause the binding and also the top corner to be sticking. I looked how to adjust slide rail but mine is different (it does not have the teeth on the slide rail. Mine has the holes that the teeth go into. SO, my question is this? Since the gears sit inside the holes on the gear rail, how easy would it be to get them out of there, adjust slide out by pushing, pulling and measuring and put back into the holes in the gear rail. I do not want to get to a point where I cannot get then in once I get them out. Anyone ever adjust these before?
Old 09-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Chollenback, I had a similar issue with the large slide on my 2016 Itasca 27N. I had it diagnosed by a local mobile RV repair guy, who told me the motors were worn out and wanted to replace both motors for $600 each plus labor. Before I had him do anything, I looked up the motors on line and found you could get them from Camping World for just over $200 each! I didn't have him do the work, but drove 100 miles to my nearest Winnebago dealer. The service tech there said the motors were out of sync and he worked with them until he got them back in sync. He said they were NOT worn out, as the mobile tech had said, but had gotten out of sync PROBABLY by opening the slide only part way and stopping. He said that is the most common cause for them to get out of sync. The motors are designed to open the slide all the way, and as you hold the button on for at least a couple of seconds after they are fully extended, the amperage rises to a certain level and both motors shut off, in sync. We would frequently only open the slides part way if we needed to get something out of a cabinet that was blocked when the slides were in, and then run it back in. He told us never to do that or they'll eventually get out of sync again. So, if you open your sides, run them all the way out and hold the button down for a few seconds after they stop extending, and do the same when you run them back in. That should keep the motors in sync.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

First of all, Thanks to all who replied with recommendations. I just want to close this thread and explain what I have to do to adjust slide out for anyone in the future who has to do it. It is pretty simple. There are multiple ways to adjust: 1, remove pin that attaches drive shaft to idler gear and adjust the side out so that each side is the same distance and reattach pin. 2, loosen stabilizer clamp (this looks like 2 hands clenched together with teeth on it) and adjust and retighten. Barker Manufacturer was great in walking me through it. If this does not work then it will be something else that I will have to come back for advice on
Old 10-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Out of sync is common when the outgoing slide catches an object on one side like a post or tree and forces the gear to hop a couple teeth. Your description of realignment is exactly right.
rheine3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My living room front slide motor makes a cycling “revving” sound when it is going out and the travel speed changes with that sound. When I retract the slide I have to give it a push from the outside, manually, to get it going.
I have the coach running so I assume the voltage is up and the rear slide motor works fine at the same time.
It almost sounds like a voltage issue but the other motor function seems to eliminate that...?
This seems to be the group that has the answers to slide questions !
thank you
bugzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out