Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exclamation Slide Out gap oooh crud

Greetings:

My family and I are out shopping for our first RV (class A), and found a 2003 Journey DL (diesel) 36ft.
With the main slide-out in I stood on captains chair and seen light shining through from the far corner (horizontal top). Not a big gap but enough to be concerned with rain and such.

Is this normal for slide outs this old or is it a problem with structure?

Thanks in advance

PS- if this is covered else where please send me a link.
LifeNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the rubber seal is worn out. Take an eyeball look along the top and edges of the slide relative to the wall opening and note the margin. Does the slide look "square" in it? (Thinking of alignment) but it's most likely just worm out seals.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply.

Rubber seals I can handle, but with the slide in, the part towards the rear, there is a good 1/2" - 3/4" drop in lower compartment door from the compartment door next to it.

Is that alignment? If so...easy fix or a shop fix?

again thanks.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you can, post a picture or two of what you're describing here.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We decided to not get the vehicle.
Sales told us how they have a couple coming in from another state and we should make a decision soon. Even if that is the case, folks coming down, once we felt a time pressure we knew it was not the vehicle for us.

Thanks for reply.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Oh OK then, there's a sea of great coaches out there, good luck on the next one. It'll be great.

Keep us posted, best regards,

W.D.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeNav View Post
We decided to not get the vehicle.
Sales told us how they have a couple coming in from another state and we should make a decision soon. Even if that is the case, folks coming down, once we felt a time pressure we knew it was not the vehicle for us.

Thanks for reply.
Good thinking. If you look at a rig with HWH slide mechanisms they have nylon pads that ware out and need replacing from time to time. All slides need adjusting as time and usage passes. I just adjusted one of mine a few weeks ago. I know folks that have bought off Cregslist and have been very happy. You simply need to be wise. If buying from a private party, have all the fluids tested, before purchase, from a lab like Blackstone. I do this as a part of my maintenance each year. I only change oil if it shows degrading. Same with other fluids.

Happy trails.

Rick Y

Tags
slide, slide out