Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide-out extends by itself!

Hey all,
We've finished our travels for the season and have our 2005 Itasca Meridian P39K parked in our driveway with slides retracted. Three days later I noted the passenger side slide was extended about 2in at the front a 1in at the back. We thought we hadn't retracted it all the way so finished it off. It pulled in just fine. 3 more days later it is extended again, this time a little more. Nobody has been in there. My hubby just told me he noticed some liquid had soiled the box in our compartment below but forgot yo tell me. He also said he'd seen what looked like whitish grease. Said there was no smell.* Could there be a hydraulic fluid leak causing this? We fear it coming out while driving the 45min to our service center because this slide does not have a tie-down strap. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210916_111223.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	180849  
TheArthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Simply measuring the distance on the top of the slideout from the coach interior wall and the inside slide lip and cutting a 2X4 to that length and standing it on top of the slideout will prevent it from moving. Place one in front and one at back of slide. I tie a red ribbon to mine, so that I have a reminder that it is there. EDIT My 38 foot coach has a full length slide out on the drivers side and I am paranoid about that monster moving out while in motion.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
Simply measuring the distance on the top of the slideout from the coach interior wall and the inside slide lip and cutting a 2X4 to that length and standing it on top of the slideout will prevent it from moving. Place one in front and one at back of slide. I tie a red ribbon to mine, so that I have a reminder that it is there. EDIT My 38 foot coach has a full length slide out on the drivers side and I am paranoid about that monster moving out while in motion.
I just did that with mine and have a call out to my independent service guy.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
Ah thanks! Great tip that we will for sure do

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
Old 09-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
jeb
Winnebago Camper

The 2x4 emergency trick is a good one! I'll have to remember that.

I had this issue a couple of years ago on our 03 Winn Ultimate. It was one of the 6 HWH solenoids my coach has for the 3 slides. It was not too bad to debug and replace. You'd have to check your manuals and/or call HWH for directions on your coach. I bought a spare solenoid in case it happens again. But I'll have to toss some 2x4's pieces in the basement now. I'd prefer to fix it at home, so that trick could come in handy!
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The retract solenoid for that slide has failed ... is not keeping pressure on to keep the slide fully retracted. It is a fairly simple replacement after you find the solenoids ... hard part is knowing which one to replace. It will not extend while driving ... creep open a bit maybe ... no big deal. The hwh hydraulic fluid is clear, or red if atf has been used.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The whitish grease does sound more like possible lithium grease than fluid which I think of as being red at least when new but getting black as it gets older.
But the problem does seem to be a leak or solenoid failing.

What we expect to happen is the pump builds pressure in the lines and the electronics moves the solenoids open/closed to let the pressure go to the correct place to extend or retract.

But it seems there is some pressure left in the system and it is leaking through a solenoid which should be closing.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Yep – maybe a solenoid issue! I’ve had the same problem with my 2011 View except worse! I’ve occasionally had the slide not retract until a lot of fussing with it and more recently -- it began to move out on its own while I was in the coach. I was a standing beside the button, so was able to stop it but it was if I had ghosts! Another time while the coach was in storage with the slide retracted, I went out to get something in the coach and the slide was fully out and nobody had been in the coach! Over time, several mechanics have tried to find out what was going on with no success. Finally it was recently determined that it was a solenoid! It’s too early to determine if it’s fixed permanently but it’s working so far!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Odd that happened to me Sunday after coming back from a festival (five mile trip). When I got home I saw the slide was out about an inch so I brought it in and an hour later it was out an inch or so again. This time I extended it all the way out and left it for an hour or so then retracted it again. It stayed in after that. I figured it was a one time thingie but maybe I need to rethink that.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

TheArthurs,
The 2" x 4" trick is not really the answer. It's just a bandaid. Your coach is an '06 Meridian, by Itasca and, it has HWH slides and jacks. The pump and reservoir for your system is under your steps, as you climb up into the coach. Each of those steps, has a bolt and nut retaining them in the DOWN position. If you carefully run your fingers right behind and along the lower lip of each step, at about the middle, you'll find a 1/2" nut. Get socket and loosen and remove that nut.

At that point, you can tilt up the step and see the pump, manifold, solenoids and reservoir for your HWH system. The HWH system has built in protection for the slides to keep them from *auto extending*. But, yours, like a few others, has a failing part/solenoid that is not doing its job of retaining your slides while parked.

Maybe you and your other half are not the DIY types and that's ok. But, the smart thing to do here is, contact AZ PETE on this forum. He's the ONLY EXPERT on this forum that will tell you EXACTLY what is wrong, where, and how it can be fixed. He is a tremendous help to any and all who ask for his help. He's HWH's ONLY traveling tech. And at well over 70 years old, he still loves his job. He's helped me more than a few times with our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP when we developed HWH system problems.
Scott

P.S. There is residual pressure in some lines of the HWH system(s). Different coaches/models of the HWH system, will have different pressures in different lines for different slides. Only the manual and model number can tell you which ones for your system will have pressure. It is that pressure in those certain lines, that is leaking past a solenoid, that is extending your slide.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
TheArthurs,
The 2" x 4" trick is not really the answer. It's just a bandaid. Your coach is an '06 Meridian, by Itasca and, it has HWH slides and jacks. The pump and reservoir for your system is under your steps, as you climb up into the coach. Each of those steps, has a bolt and nut retaining them in the DOWN position. If you carefully run your fingers right behind and along the lower lip of each step, at about the middle, you'll find a 1/2" nut. Get socket and loosen and remove that nut.

At that point, you can tilt up the step and see the pump, manifold, solenoids and reservoir for your HWH system. The HWH system has built in protection for the slides to keep them from *auto extending*. But, yours, like a few others, has a failing part/solenoid that is not doing its job of retaining your slides while parked.

Maybe you and your other half are not the DIY types and that's ok. But, the smart thing to do here is, contact AZ PETE on this forum. He's the ONLY EXPERT on this forum that will tell you EXACTLY what is wrong, where, and how it can be fixed. He is a tremendous help to any and all who ask for his help. He's HWH's ONLY traveling tech. And at well over 70 years old, he still loves his job. He's helped me more than a few times with our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP when we developed HWH system problems.
Scott

P.S. There is residual pressure in some lines of the HWH system(s). Different coaches/models of the HWH system, will have different pressures in different lines for different slides. Only the manual and model number can tell you which ones for your system will have pressure. It is that pressure in those certain lines, that is leaking past a solenoid, that is extending your slide.
Scott
Super helpful! We are sort of DIYers, so we'll heed your advice and take a look. I believe we've got the manual as well so will look there and reach out to the expert you mentioned.
I just love this forum....so many nice people here that are willing to help.
Thanks much!!

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
Old 09-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Three things:

1. I agree that the 2x4 is a temporary measure. I'm doing it only as a stopgap until I can get it fixed, most likely by getting my retract solenoid replaced.

2. When I initially had the creep-out problem, azpete advised me to try extending and retracting the slide several times, letting it run for about five seconds at each extreme. He also advised that I top off my fluid.

3. Per azpete, don't partially extend your slide and then retract it without first extending it all the way. I was doing this fairly often during bathroom stops. Again, always run the slide for about five seconds at each extreme.

2. and 3. worked for me for a couple of years but, recently, my storage yard called to tell me my slide was out about 8", hence the 2x4 until I can get it fixed.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Fired Up says "At that point, you can tilt up the step and see the pump, manifold, solenoids and reservoir for your HWH system. "
When I pull that step up all I see is a 17# bag of cat litter. My pump, manifold, etc is under the rear portion of the slide. But thanks for the help.
dick
Old 09-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hey Fired Up I just read your signature line. Thank you for your service. In 8 more days I'll have been retired for 33 years. Sailed out of SD on the Ticonderoga. dick
Old 09-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
Fired Up says "At that point, you can tilt up the step and see the pump, manifold, solenoids and reservoir for your HWH system. "
When I pull that step up all I see is a 17# bag of cat litter. My pump, manifold, etc is under the rear portion of the slide. But thanks for the help.
dick
Well Sir,
That's because yours is an '03. That location is where Winne/Itasca stuffed the pump/reservoir in your year. In/on the '04, they moved everything forward to the underside of the entry steps. Sorry for the confusion.
Scott

Quote:
Hey Fired Up I just read your signature line. Thank you for your service. In 8 more days I'll have been retired for 33 years. Sailed out of SD on the Ticonderoga. dick
I appreciate the kind words. Am I to understand you've been retired FOR 33 YEARS or, do you mean you'll retire AFTER 33 years on the job? Just kind-a wondering.
Scott
Old 09-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I retired from the Navy 30 Sep 88 after 24 years
Old 09-26-2021, 10:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I retired from the Navy 30 Sep 88 after 24 years
Ahhh, I see now. I thank you for your service Sir. Anyone who gets the years after retirement as you have, is pretty darn lucky. So many don't last long after retirement. Good luck and keep going.
Scott
Old 09-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I recently bought a 2003 Itasca SunFlyer 39T, and the hydraulics work fine, except my driver's side slide will "creep" open occasionally when parked. I have had the coach almost 2 months, and sometimes when I retract the slide-out, lock the coach and leave... the next morning, I find that the slide has crept out 1 to 4 inches! The coach was not used much, 18 years old and it only went 30,000 miles... so I was hoping that it may just be from sitting. Any ideas on a possible correction would be appreciated?
LarryBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I was moved here from a different blog, and after reading the comments above... my questions have been answered! Thanks everybody!
LarryBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Warning re: Temporary 2x4 Fix.

I was just in my MH and almost extended the slide with my 2x4 in place despite my warning ribbon which I'd just disconnected from the switch. Doh!

Tomorrow I'm going to make a 2x4 substitute out of thin walled PVC pipe, or something similar, that would be strong enough to prevent the creep but would break before causing damage in the case of an accidental power extend.

My independent tech has determined that he needs to replace a solenoid but HWH and his other parts sources are out of stock with no idea of how long it will be.

Tags
slide