Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide out concerns

Hello all,
I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 34HD, occasionally while driving my front larger slide out will creep out a bit while driving. It usually occurs toward the rear of the slide out, I pull over extend the slider out a bit and then bring it back in. This pulls it back up tight. As you all know some of the US interstates and highways are pretty rough these days, my most recent rip was on I-15 from Bozeman Montana to San Diego. At one point after some rough areas the front larger slide worked its way out a bit about 1-2" forward and rear, I pulled off of the Interstate and extended it out a bit and brought it back in flush. It worked fine the rest of the trip. Just thought I would see if any of you have had similar issues with your slides and suggestions/solutions for me?
Thanks Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbart View Post
Hello all,
I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 34HD, occasionally while driving my front larger slide out will creep out a bit while driving. It usually occurs toward the rear of the slide out, I pull over extend the slider out a bit and then bring it back in. This pulls it back up tight. As you all know some of the US interstates and highways are pretty rough these days, my most recent rip was on I-15 from Bozeman Montana to San Diego. At one point after some rough areas the front larger slide worked its way out a bit about 1-2" forward and rear, I pulled off of the Interstate and extended it out a bit and brought it back in flush. It worked fine the rest of the trip. Just thought I would see if any of you have had similar issues with your slides and suggestions/solutions for me?
Thanks Bart
We just had a thread on RE-syncing the slide outs. Not sure if that’s your issues, but I’d start there...

Here’s the tread...

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...in-357995.html
Old 07-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think the point is, that when operating the slide, extend or retract it fully, don't do a partial extension or retraction. Hold the button for a few extra seconds at max out or max in, and that lets the controller sync the motors every time.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The rear slide on my motorhome developed a hydraulic fluid leak earlier this year and what I learned is that when the slide was brought in a tiny valve in the hydraulic ram locks the slide in. Other motorhomes have mechanical ways of anchoring their slides but mine has the valve in the hydraulic ram. The valve has a very very tiny O-ring that HWH would not sell, they wanted me to ship the hydraulic ram back to them (from Canada) for a rebuild. Ultimately my shop found one locally and rebuilt the ram themselves.

Perhaps your ram lock has a damaged o-ring and is slowly leaking/weeping due to bumpy roads.
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I think the point is, that when operating the slide, extend or retract it fully, don't do a partial extension or retraction. Hold the button for a few extra seconds at max out or max in, and that lets the controller sync the motors every time.
Doesn’t that still fly in the face of what Winnebago recommends in the video I linked? I’m not saying they’re necessarily right, but who then do we get our information from?
Old 08-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you have a hydraulically operated slide one of your solenoids might be bad (common Issue). If it is electrically operated get two slide out locks; don't forget to remove them before trying to extend the slide.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

With the 2003 Horizon you have HWH hydraulic slides and jacks. When the slides start creeping out you have a hydraulic valve leaking. Need to go to HWH in Moscow IA and have them fix. They have hookups so you can stay if necessary. They work hard to get you in and out quickly but it is best to make an appointment.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Creeping slide

While traveling out west on interstate 80 with trucks flying by me I had a similar issue with my rear slide and had to stop a number of times to retract it. As a temporary measure I used a 2x6 to keep the slide in with the intention of going to the shop. when I got home And went out to the MH the next morning the slide was out and the cabinet beside the bed was busted To the tune of a couple hundred dollars. Seems the solenoid was bad and leaked by. I learned a lesson about hydraulic pressure !
LeonardoBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Doesn't the 2003 have a slide strap hook in the floor and wall, 2005 meridian does it's behind the drivers seat on the slide.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation Tie down straps

Very true, and would you believe they are no match against hydraulics.. again from experience, I forgot to remove the straps before hitting the slide out button, and the 4 little 3/4 inch wood screws came out of the plywood floor with ease, never knew it until I saw the strap laying on the floor. Just FYI ! I believe they are there so In case of an issue the manufacture can say they did their “due diligence”. Not complaining, just passing on my experience.
LeonardoBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #11
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Ksean, I had the same problem on my last MH. I had an 06 Dutchmen Super C and the front slide would creep out. I called the manufacturer and the technician told me it was the seal in the cylinder so I ordered one and replaced it. It failed within three months so they sent me another one. That one failed in about a year so I bought another one. After that I sold the MH so I'm not sure if the last cylinder I installed failed. I learned to plan on being covered in hydraulic fluid when your done replacing the cylinder.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #12
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

I was told by the manufacturer that a bad seal in the cylinder (ram) would cause the slide to creep out and a bad solenoid valve would cause the slide to creep back in.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Slide stopper

My hubby took two four inch Pieces of 2x4, drilled holes in one end of each, and put a piece of threaded rod in between them the length necessary, with a couple nuts in the middle to grip to tighten with, and this is what we put at the end of our long slide that walks out a few inches only in the front.

Cheap, and works like a charm.

I would have posted a pic, but couldn’t figure out how. PM me if you’d like a pic at [email protected].
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:14 AM   #14

Here's a thread that will help you decide if you you have solenoid problem or not?

...But first it sounds like you have not "equalized" your HWH cylinders. So that probably will fix your problem.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...on-358321.html

If you still have a problem I think I would change your Dexron III fluid hoping you remove some crud floating around in your HWH reservoir. Here's a thread that will help you know how to use a $15 scavenge pump to make your fluid changes easier; in both your HWH reservoir and the Dexron III used for your steering pump and side radiator clutch (if you have one).

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...wh-358105.html
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

A huge Thank You!

Just wanted to let all of you who have responded to my issue, THANK YOU! What a wealth of information, I'm amazed!
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out