Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide out and stabilizers

Hello, I have a 2020 Vita 24 P Class C Not sure if I should extend the stabilizers

first and then put slide out once it is level. Which should come first once level?

Thanks

Chuck
cstarchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Try not to put the slide out if it is not level. Or back in for that matter. You could put stresses on the slide.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I’ve always leveled it, deployed stabilizers, and then put the slides out.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
check your owner's manual but we level with the checks first then put out the slides. we do the reverse when getting ready to leave.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The manual doesn't give order, but sounds good to me - was not sure if slide going out would put stress on extended stabilizers?

Chuck
cstarchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarchers View Post
The manual doesn't give order, but sounds good to me - was not sure if slide going out would put stress on extended stabilizers?

Chuck
If the stabilizer can't handle the slideout I don't think the order would matter. Presumably you'll step or sit inside the slideout, putting additional pressure on the stabilizers.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Get the rig level, extend stabilizers, put slide out.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I’ve always leveled it, deployed stabilizers, and then put the slides out.
As I do as well. I don't put out the slide if the RV is not reasonably level and if the stabilizers are not down.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Get the rig level, extend stabilizers, put slide out.
This is what I have been doing. Note that I have STABILIZERS, not levelers or auto-levelers, so when I put them down, it's until they touch and I see a tiny bit of movement on the frame. Then I make one more trip around to ensure they are solid. So, last trip, after leveling, extending the stabilizers, then putting the slide out, I noticed I could move the wood blocks I had under the stabilizers on the side opposite the slide. Now, I will will be double checking the stabilizers after putting the slide out. But that raises another question. Am I being too conservative in the amount of weight I'm putting on the stabilizer jacks?
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
This is what I have been doing. Note that I have STABILIZERS, not levelers or auto-levelers, so when I put them down, it's until they touch and I see a tiny bit of movement on the frame. Then I make one more trip around to ensure they are solid. So, last trip, after leveling, extending the stabilizers, then putting the slide out, I noticed I could move the wood blocks I had under the stabilizers on the side opposite the slide. Now, I will will be double checking the stabilizers after putting the slide out. But that raises another question. Am I being too conservative in the amount of weight I'm putting on the stabilizer jacks?
Hi, I have a 2020 Porto 24F and I have not been diligent about getting the rig exactly level before extending the slide out and we haven't had any issues, so far. We have boondocked a few times this summer and the spots have been reasonably level but not exact and we have not used legos or other systems to level further. But your post and the responses make me want to re-think things a bit.
By the way, love the Porto/Vita, how about you?
edomneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Am I being too conservative in the amount of weight I'm putting on the stabilizer jacks?
I don't think it's possible for anyone to answer that from a written description of what you do. But the other possibility is you have added weight to the slide out and that is causing an issue.

Here's what I'm thinking. My trailer has a couch slide out which only goes out about half as far as a dinette slide out. I mentioned in another thread that if I had a dinette slide out it wouldn't be that useful for me, except that it would give me a place to store stuff out of the way on the floor. If I did that and didn't remove the "stuff" before extending I could see it either damaging the slide or doing what you describe.

Somewhat similarly, I've seen people post about adding storage to a slide area. That too would increase weight.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The stabilizers won't level the RV, only help to keep the RV in the current position and lessen the side to side movement.

A simple test...

Level the RV - let out the slide - and then check if the RV is still level. If it is, then letting out the slide should have no impact on the stabilizers, since the RV's weight hasn't shifted.

If the RV isn't level after letting out the slide, then the stabilizers could take some of the weight with the shift in load - so it may be better to level, slide out and then do the stabilizers last.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarchers View Post

Chuck
Hi there...I have a 2020 24P as well and had the same question.....in the "large manual" in the section for the EQUALIZER Systems "Stabi-Lite" Operation guide under the section "Parking the Coach"....the last bullet states "Deploy the stabilizers before extending Slide-Outs. Retract Slide-Outs before retracting stabilizers". Hope this helps......I would add, as everyone else has, start out as 'level as possible'......best of luck.....!
HobeVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
A simple test...

Level the RV - let out the slide - and then check if the RV is still level. If it is, then letting out the slide should have no impact on the stabilizers, since the RV's weight hasn't shifted.
The slide out WILL shift weight. It's a matter of how much. The change in level I described was probably 1/4" side to side, and even on my 4' Stanley level, that isn't noticeable. I don't think anyone is leveling that precise. I don't think the issue is the tiny shift, but that I'm just not putting enough weight on my stabilizers to really do their job. Speaking to a guy with the LCI "automatic stabilizers", not levelers, he holds the button down for about 2 seconds after the feet touch ground, per the mfr instructions. This lifts his frame over an inch. .
Old 09-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The slide out WILL shift weight. It's a matter of how much. The change in level I described was probably 1/4" side to side, and even on my 4' Stanley level, that isn't noticeable.
I agree.

When we are camping the first thing I do is check the RV using a spirit level. If we are not reasonably level I use leveling blocks to come close to level. I then put some plastic pads down under where the stabilizing jacks will be when they are down and lower first the side without the slide (the driver's side), then the side with the slide (the passenger's side). I then let the passenger's side stabilizer raise up the RV a little bit more to compensate for the weight distribution change when I put out the slide.

After extending the slide I again check the driver's side stabilizer to make sure it is still down on the ground. If it is not I then lower it a bit more.

I reverse this order when we are leaving.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

AjMike, thanks for sharing that! Great advice.
edomneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Vita 24P

The only issue we have been discovering is that the Stabilizer on slide side of 24P can fail. The support arms have been bending like a butterfly. I have talked to the vender as well as Winnebago. The vender said our stabilizers are mounted 180 degrees out. The pads should be facing rear tires not he front. Winnebago says they talked to engineers and they said they are OK. Their is definetly and issue as several of us have experienced the bent arms on the drivers side stabilizer. I replaced mine but I feel the excessive weight of the full side slide is just too much on the stabilizer. The 1/4 inch steel support arms cant handle the shaking or addition of people in the dinette or sleeping area. I feel the arms should be in reality turned 90 degrees or at least facing the rear wheels. The double support arms on either side of the stabilizer need either u channel or steel at 90 degrees to the straight pieces to make them more rigid. Yes the book says level, extend stabilizers and then deploy the slide out in that order. There is also a current adjustment of force on the passenger and driver side stabilizer. The drivers side is set for 9 (max currant and passenger side for 4. Good luck, Hopefully Winnebago will step up and make these things more reliable.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I also have 2020 24P and have an issue with the driver side stabilizer. I have always leveled, stabilized and then extended the slide. The last time I retracted, the passenger side retracted but not the driver side. I had to unplug the electric connection and retract with a socket drive manually, but it would not fully retract, as the stabilizer arm was bent. I can only assume that after 2 years of use this stabilizer arm was not strong enough for the extra weight of the slideout.
2020Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Vita View Post
I also have 2020 24P and have an issue with the driver side stabilizer. I have always leveled, stabilized and then extended the slide. The last time I retracted, the passenger side retracted but not the driver side. I had to unplug the electric connection and retract with a socket drive manually, but it would not fully retract, as the stabilizer arm was bent. I can only assume that after 2 years of use this stabilizer arm was not strong enough for the extra weight of the slideout.
Yes it is a weak point. On the Vita Porto wannebees facebook site we have addressed this issue many times. First thing is to turn down the force adjustment for the drivers side to 3-5 instead of the 9 that it is set for from the factory. As you probably know putting the left side on blocks 1.5 inches high from level will complensate for the heavy slide when extended. I Called the manufacturor and they sent me a new stablizer. the arms are too weak, so I welded strips of steel at 90 degrees to each arm to add strength. Please join our Winnebago Vita and Porto Owners site on FB. We share fixes/mods/ and of course fun stuff.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

The final say in this matter is your owners manual, for EVERY RV.
Another subject is slide-room stabilizers, which are much different that RV stabilizers.
I would NEVER use slide-room stabilizes. If they are used, and the RV settles some, the slide-room is now literally in a bind. The result can be very costly. Slide-rooms are designed to be self-supporting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out