Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide Noise and Lubrication Question

I have used my new rig only about 5 times so far in the 3 months of buying it but this last time bringing it back to the storage lot where I keep it the passenger side slide was really making a loud squeeking sound as I hit small bumps in the road. I had my wife drive part of the way and I could see where the side was moving and squeeking on those road bumps. My question is, is that normal? or should I have the dealer look at it? Is there a lubrication procedure needed to stop that noise that I am unaware of. If so what should be used and should it be done on a regular bassis like a monthly maintance type thing. Whats the consensus amoungst all the Winnie experts out there?

Thanks Dave

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Leave the switch on a couple of seconds after fully extended or retracted may help.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My slide behind the driver's seat squeaks, too. The slide seems to operate without problems, though. I heard that lubing the area where the slide motors connect to the drive shafts can help. I purchased a can of CRC Power Lube with PTFE to try before I go out on my next trip. Hopefully it helps.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I have used my new rig only about 5 times so far in the 3 months of buying it but this last time bringing it back to the storage lot where I keep it the passenger side slide was really making a loud squeeking sound as I hit small bumps in the road. I had my wife drive part of the way and I could see where the side was moving and squeeking on those road bumps. My question is, is that normal? or should I have the dealer look at it? Is there a lubrication procedure needed to stop that noise that I am unaware of. If so what should be used and should it be done on a regular bassis like a monthly maintance type thing. Whats the consensus amoungst all the Winnie experts out there?

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave
The noise I believe you are hearing is the baring block moving on the gib.
The following lubrication procedure is likely to stop it completely if done correctly.

It will come back and need to be redone.

I recently drove 4400 miles and on my return home I noticed that annoying squeaking. I used the CRC to lube the gib and the noise stopped for about 300 miles only to come back.
Here is what I believe is happening. There is only a slight amount of clearance between the bearing block groove that is designed to ride on the gib. From the original factory install things settle. With this settling the gib to bearing block clearance disappears and now we have metal to metal ware. This is why I believe the lube only works for a few hundred miles. I believe that if the gib was lowered 1/16 to 1/8" by lowering the rail, the noise would not return.

I will be correcting this and will keep you informed.

Jesse
I
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

i also had the slide squeak, installed slide locks and noise went away
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Great info everyone Thanks

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

PTFE can also be found in sprays other than CRC's Power Lube. For example Dupont has trademarked the word "Teflon" which is their word for Polytetrafluoroethylene - Their spray is every bit as good.
Just make sure you get the type that is dry to the touch and not mixed with anything else - eg; silicone.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanuts View Post
i also had the slide squeak, installed slide locks and noise went away
I've got the squeak too. Always have. Winnie gave me slide locks, but I've cranked them pretty good and I still get the noise.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I sprayed the CRC Power lube as directed, and most of the noise went away. Just small clicking now. I wish that would go away as well, but even with the slide locks in place, still clicks.

Caution: More is maybe not better. I now have the lube coming out unto the paint below the slide, messing up the finish. I probably gave it a 5 count of spray, top and bottom of the top rail, and top and bottom of the bottom rail. It was too much.

Dan
Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It will be interesting to see how long the squeaking stays away. I'll probably lube mine this weekend for a trip the following weekend. I currently don't have slide locks, maybe I need to invest in some.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #11

don't know if it makes a difference, i install slide locks at the bottom of slide
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

My Minni Winni slide squeaks like crazy. Question: is it the drive mechanism or the weather stripping that making all the noise? My old winni slide made no noise at all for 8 years but both new ones are noisy. Newest is only 1 month old and squeaking like crazy.
MacScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

GRTHarris,

Do you have slide locks on your full wall slide? I have the same coach as you do and I don't. Please advise

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Squeaks

I do not know about slide locks but will look into them. The squeaks are very annoying. I lubed the rubber seals last night and thought I had it licked as it was silent this morning but in the heat of the day it started again. I dumped my last unit because of slide noise and here I go again. My 06 outlook never made a sound in 8 years of use and now I cannot get away from it. Headed to factory in a few days.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Tom-NC, no slide locks and no slide issues. 14,000 miles. O, forgot did have a issue with the trim on the slide outs moving, some when up and some when down. Got them back in position and applied some sealant. Have done the lube a couple of times the drives side back is a bear to get to.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

My older Winni's had no slide squeak issues but the newer ones do. Its only going down the road not when the slide is actually moving in or out. There is a constant squeal or squeak while going over the slightest crack in the road. I think its the rubber seal contact with the stopper on the coach but am not sure yet. i applied a lube fluid to the rubber but that has not done the trick. Frustrating....
Old 06-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post

Thanks Dave

The slide mechanism is not designed to carry weight. If it is making a scrubbing sound or shortly after lubing a squeaking noise the mechanism is carrying weight and will fail. The bearing block is attached to the slide and is pushing down on the gibb which is attached to the coach. I recently added 5 layers of duct tape staggered under the front roller so that the roller would lift the slide slightly at total closed to see if the noise would change.
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433816605.883008.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  110.9 KB
I drove 100 miles with no noise at all. This was only a test and not recommended.
I will soon be detaching the slide rail from the coach and lowering it about 1/16th inch to put the weight back on the rollers and off of the mechanism.
I will post pictures.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Only my full wall slide squeaks and it does it right behind the driver's seat. The slide would creep out 1/2" when we travel and Winnebago said this was within allowances but they sent me a set of slide locks for free. Even after lubrication and the slide locks in place it still squeaks although not quite as annoying. Would love to have a solution to this problem.

2013 Elantra GT - SMI Stay-In-Play, Blue Ox set up.
follows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
The slide mechanism is not designed to carry weight. If it is making a scrubbing sound or shortly after lubing a squeaking noise the mechanism is carrying weight and will fail. The bearing block is attached to the slide and is pushing down on the gibb which is attached to the coach. I recently added 5 layers of duct tape staggered under the front roller so that the roller would lift the slide slightly at total closed to see if the noise would change.Attachment 96698 I drove 100 miles with no noise at all. This was only a test and not recommended.
I will soon be detaching the slide rail from the coach and lowering it about 1/16th inch to put the weight back on the rollers and off of the mechanism.
I will post pictures.
Jesse
Thanks for the input. My only gripe with this new coach. Going to try to get to the bottom of this issue.

Mac
Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Jesse,

Thanks for the pictures. They are worth 1000 words. I will check out if that is the source of my squeeks.

Side note: There are no roller marks of any kind under my slide, as there are shown in yours. Is it possible my roller is not touching, or maybe your roller is not spinning?

That underside is very different looking.

Tags
cat, noise, slide