Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide moved out while travelling

hi

we have been travelling the i5 south from bc to so. cal. (in acton right now). the other day, when we stopped at a rest area, i notice that the dinning room slide had come out about an inch. before departing, i started the engine and brought in the slide. the next day, there was no movement of the slide while driving. then the next day, same thing - had stopped at the rest area and i could see that the slide had come out about one inch. brough it back in before departing the rest area.

this has not happened before. any thoughts? i know that the two travel days we were on some bad / bumpy patches of the i5

thanks for the help.
cheers,
peter
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Not sure what the problem may be, but it is probably something to do with the motor and brake. For the next few days while you are travelling, get some 2 x 4's and use them as slide out locking bars. You can buy these Camping World or other places online, but when travelling, 2 x 4's work. Her is a link to some pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+s...w&ved=0CFAQ7Ak
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Are you holding the button down for about seconds when you retract the slide? I was told to do that and it corrected my problem.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If purging the air from the system as suggested by Nick does not work, the retract soleniod likely needs to be replaced. It is not a complicated or expensive repair.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'm nor sure which slide mechanism you have, but on mine there are electric motors that turn a toothed wheel to extend and retract the slides. When fully closed, there is a motor brake lever that engages. Last year I had the front edge of my largest slide-out creep out about 1/2 inch each time we drove a distance.

It might take 100 miles or more, but eventually it would creep out that small amount (this after nearly 4 years of travelling). It never seemed to move much more than that, I wasn't too worried, but concern was there. After several incidences of this creep, where I would pull over, and re-close the slide, with care, and examining the motor and brake assembly very closely. All looked well, but no change in behavior.

So one day, after closing the slide completely, I grabbed the motor brake lever and gave a hard shove into the lock position. I could feel a very slight crunch, as if a small grain of sand had been keeping the lock from totally engaging. Since then, no more creeping, in some 11 months of more travels.

Just the experience I had, not sure it will help you.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the comments - always useful to hear from other with similar problems / experiences

thursday morning we are driving from acton to palm springs. staying there for one month - but will be able to see what happens on this drive.

again, thank you
pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have the Shwintec slides and although they don't creep out much there is some movement when we travel. I think Winnebago has offered some slide braces to keep this from happening. I don't worry much about it, but it definitely is a defect of sorts. But that being said, if that's the worst problem we will have I'll be happy.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you have the HWH system it's the Valve and has to be replaced as it's leaking back and causing it to come out a bit. That happened to me and was an easy fix once you get the valve. Now if you have a different system, This info does not apply.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you have the HWH system the solenoid (valve) is most likely out of adjustment or needs to be replaced. Download the manual from the HWH website for instructions on adjustment or purchase a new or rebuild solenoid from HWH if they still sell rebuild solenoids. Mine was an easy R&R to replace the solenoid just disconnected the two wires and unscrewed the solenoid. I've replaced three in the past 15 years.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

For Winnebago/Itasca coaches with Lippert/Shwintec equipped slide-outs, Winnebago tech advisors indicate this is common on larger slide-outs, especially the heavier galley slides like those of the Tour and Ellipse 42QD. We are presently on our second set of new rails, tracks and motors.

Apparently, starting with 2015 models Winnebago started equipping new coaches with a pair of Slide Locks by American Technology Components. They are installed by the owner once the slide has been fully retracted (stowed). I just received a new pair from Winnebago, which are 24" x 44", mfr. part no. SL-2444-1C. The Winnebago part no. is 162495-02-01A. The actual slide lock part number required depends on the coach model as I understand it. Plan to try these for the first time later this week.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKW View Post
For Winnebago/Itasca coaches with Lippert/Shwintec equipped slide-outs, Winnebago tech advisors indicate this is common on larger slide-outs, especially the heavier galley slides like those of the Tour and Ellipse 42QD. We are presently on our second set of new rails, tracks and motors.

Apparently, starting with 2015 models Winnebago started equipping new coaches with a pair of Slide Locks by American Technology Components. They are installed by the owner once the slide has been fully retracted (stowed). I just received a new pair from Winnebago, which are 24" x 44", mfr. part no. SL-2444-1C. The Winnebago part no. is 162495-02-01A. The actual slide lock part number required depends on the coach model as I understand it. Plan to try these for the first time later this week.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
I have been using those slide locks provided by WGO for my Adventurer on my Seattle to AZ trip and I can report they do work. No slide creep at all. My slide is 24 feet long.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

What you do to remind yourself to remove the lock mechanism before deploying to prevent damage to the slide?
lazycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycamper View Post
What you do to remind yourself to remove the lock mechanism before deploying to prevent damage to the slide?
I have a big "sticky" note over the slide switch...
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Slide moved out while travelling

Quote:

On the Itasca Ellipse there is a slide electrical power lockout key, literally a key. I attach it to travel rod when it is in place. To activate power, I need that key, thus I remove the travel rods and retrieve the key.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I really like the idea of a key the way you have it set-up, no room for error. For a 10' slide would you recommend 1 or 2 slide locks?

Thanks, Dave
lazycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
I have been using those slide locks provided by WGO for my Adventurer on my Seattle to AZ trip and I can report they do work. No slide creep at all. My slide is 24 feet long.
I'm not familiar with the locks you mentioned since we haven't had any problems since the slide was adjusted about a year ago. How do you install the one on the rear? Our slide is only a few inches from the back wall. I can't even get in there with a spray can to lube the tracks.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I'm not familiar with the locks you mentioned since we haven't had any problems since the slide was adjusted about a year ago. How do you install the one on the rear? Our slide is only a few inches from the back wall. I can't even get in there with a spray can to lube the tracks.
There is 10" of space between the end of the slide and the rear wall...
Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I just went to the Winnebago website to compare the 2015 Adventurer 32H to the 2013 Adventurer 32H. It appears the 32H has been replaced by the 32D. There's no longer a full wall slide on the driver's side. They've gone back to the smaller kitchen slide and living room slides. The bedroom now also has 2 slides. It's a quad slide 33'3" motorhome. There's even room for an optional washer and dryer.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...turer/overview

One big thing I didn't see in the 32D is a dining area. The new website's only been up a couple days so hopefully there will be more information in the near future
Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I just went to the Winnebago website to compare the 2015 Adventurer 32H to the 2013 Adventurer 32H. It appears the 32H has been replaced by the 32D. There's no longer a full wall slide on the driver's side. They've gone back to the smaller kitchen slide and living room slides. The bedroom now also has 2 slides. It's a quad slide 33'3" motorhome. There's even room for an optional washer and dryer.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...turer/overview

One big thing I didn't see in the 32D is a dining area. The new website's only been up a couple days so hopefully there will be more information in the near future
Check out this video:

Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I really like the idea of a key the way you have it set-up, no room for error. For a 10' slide would you recommend 1 or 2 slide locks?

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave, Based on conversation with WGO Tech, one should be enough on a 10', whereas we have a 16' with galley on the aft end of that slideout. The added weight of the galley can cause the slide to creep out on that aft end. The travel rods simply take a minute to install. Even with the tight 4 or 5-inches between the galley wall and the half-bath wall my arm can easily slip in and tighten the rod in place. Worked great!!

Tags
slide, travel