Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide making noise

Hi, we have a 2018 Winnebago Sunstar 30T. The drivers side front slide just started making a knocking noise when extending and retracting, maybe more so when extending. If anyone has any idea what this could be, we would appreciate your response.

Thanks!
Wonderdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No idea, have you verified there isn't anything underneath or on top that might be affecting movement?

Since it's a fairly new rig, it might be the slide motors are out of sync. When you extend or retract it, do you hold the button for a count of "3" after it stops moving in or out? If not, extend and retract it fully 3 times, holding the button for an extra 3 seconds in each direction. See if that helps.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the response!
I checked and there doesn’t seem to be any obstructions over or under the slide. I also tried your suggestion with the switch, it may have helped somewhat, but still is making a noise that wasn’t there before.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In that case, and without seeing the problem, I'm stumped.
Perhaps some others with more slide problem experience will drop by.

Or, contact the slide system manufacturer and run it by them.
Sometimes they'll know what's happening based on your detailed symptoms.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure what your issue is but make note that Lippert recommends lubricating the slide motor (gib and coupler). I just ordered their recommended Kwikee Kwiklube and will try to do mine in order to maintain the slides and quiet things down a bit. I also plan to apply a protectant to the seals. There are a few you tube videos out their on how to do both of these tasks.
https://store.lci1.com/

https://youtu.be/gXw9I_DoAvI
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I own a 2018 Sunstar32ye. Last winter slide was working ok. Then one day only half of the living room slide would go out. Called for road service. The front motor on the slide was all rested. Might have happen during heavy windy rain. Anyway the new motor came with a protective rubber sheath over it. Since we were traveling at the time road service had one in stock and replace it. Works fine now. BTW make sure your engine is also running when moving the slides. This is in the manual.
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Slide noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog1 View Post
Hi, we have a 2018 Winnebago Sunstar 30T. The drivers side front slide just started making a knocking noise when extending and retracting, maybe more so when extending. If anyone has any idea what this could be, we would appreciate your response.

Thanks!
My bedroom slide was doing the same thing in my 2017 Fuse....I took it to Coachmasters in Bend Oregon, they lubricated and adjusted it and it is quiet now! Such a minimal cost for peace of mind! I think they charged me under $65
GeoDog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

There is a thing on the slide out that looks like a horse shoe the it has two screws in it. One of screws came loose on mine and it made a banking sound. The slide out hit this when extending or retracting and damaged my slide out motor one over time before a friend noticed the problem.
evanslb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

The Winnebago long slide outs use the Lippert system with two side rails at ea. end. The rails having teeth sometimes hit the rubber seal and makes a clicking sound. I have tried moving the seal back a bit but eventually moves back into original position. I have just learned to live with it. It does not cause any problems just irritating. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Slide seals

We heard a knocking on our front slide and discovered it was the seals that should come out when the slide goes out, and turn inward when the slide does. They were not sliding as they should and the knocking we heard was the slide moving over the seals that were pointed the wrong direction.

We put some silicone spray on both sides of the seals and moved the slide in and out a smidge, to get it rubbed in, and no knocks since.

We know now that we need to do this every few months, especially here where it’s so dry and dusty.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for everyone’s input! I will check out your suggestions.

Tags
noise, slide