Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Slide locks enganed and won't release

We purchased a 2012 42QD from the original owners. They kept it spotless and maintained. We took a few short trips to make sure we knew how everything worked and it did perfectly. BUT, on our first long trip both the Driver and Passenger Side Slides refused to come back in. We called a mobile repair person who got them almost back in for us, but now were told the locks are set and our local mechanic can't get them unlocked. He says he called Winnebago and they were less than helpful. Has anyone had this issue and what can be done to solve the problem?
GPW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi GPW1,
In looking at the brochure for the 2012 Tour 42QD, I see it has three slides. I assume the bed slide retracted OK. In looking at the Owner's Manual for your motorhome, I see that Section 10 discusses aspects of controlling the slide-out locks. Is it possible that some overlooked detail is causing an operational issue? Have two slideouts fail simultaneously seems unexpected. Searching for 2012 tour slide gives you a plethora of results.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-21-2021, 05:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I own a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F that has also had slide lock issues. There is a known binding issue that was resolved with the addition of a wave/spring washer. I think that it was a covered warranty repair but do not know if they would cover it on a 10 year old RV. When it occured on mine, it snapped the shafts on two locks and was covered by my extended warranty. My electronic locks are now functional, but I don't use them. I have a pair of 2 X 4s cut to length (with red ribbons attached) that I just lay on top of the slides, when retracted. EDIT: There are locked and unlocked limit switches on each lock. If the mobile tech messed with the limit switches, while trying to fix the problem, he may have made the problem worse.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Years ago I somehow bumped the key that controls the connection to the switches. It was ever so slight but unbeknownst to me it turned that key a fraction of an inch. I happened to see it off of its 90˚ plane and turned it off then back on...slide then worked.

Do you hear any kind of noise or clicking sound when you push the slide button? Have you tried the manual override? Each slide has a controller. The controller is set by pushing the button 6 times and holding it in on the 7th until the lights start blinking rapidly. Then see if the slide button will work. Be very careful as this technique overrides all safety items.

Sounds more like an electrical problem than mechanical...but...

It would be very unusual for all the slides to not operate. Just sayin'.

Since my first episode with slide locks, I just don't use them. So far so good.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Doing a look at the electrical side of the question, the drawings for your Rv seem to be pretty lacking on this point.
I did find a few bits of info that may/may not help as it seems to be a cnflict with itself???
I did a snip of where I find the breakers labeled to be located near the front left side as in snip one here. click these snips to get a better view or the drawing itself is located here on sheet 1 with detail drawing on 3:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_177331.pdf

The problemn is that when one goes to that Detail CA on page 3, it shows the breakers labeled for slide but indicates "plugs" instead of breakers?
That leaves me totally lost if they label it for slide breakers but put plugs instead of breakers???

They also give no real schematic drawings for the 12 volt on your RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ca1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	181509   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	181510  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I think that this is a mechanical issue. There are two give away statements here. The first is that the initial problem was that the slides would not come in. Slide locks will prevent a slide from moving out but not prevent it from moving in. The second statement was that the mobile tech got the slides almost all the way in. If the locks are engaged, while the slide is out, the slide can move in until it comes against the slide lock. At that point it is almost all the way in. The slide lock has limit switches, which should prevent it from being engaged while the slide is out. I think that the original mobile tech screwed with or overrode the slide lock limit switches, to get the slide to come in. If the slide lock limit switches are misadjusted, it could appear that the slide is out and that would prevent the slide lock from being engaged or disengaged. I've been thru this before and misadjusted slide lock limit switches can caused damage to the slide lock worm gear shafts. If the initial tech brought the slide in against an enabled slide lock, the slide would be nearly all the way in and the slide lock shafts could be damaged, preventing them from being disengaged. I got my fixed and don't use them because if a limit switch malfunctions it can result in major damage.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Here's a few old threads from here with this issue. There might be something useful here... or might not. No promises:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ng-351190.html
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...king-3601.html
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ck-132268.html
Old 12-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Last summer in our 2012 Sightseer our lock would not unlock. I slowly disassembled the lock inside the cabinet and it released from being jammed. I think 4 cover screws and then 4 bolts on the mechanism to loosen.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I own a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F that has also had slide lock issues. There is a known binding issue that was resolved with the addition of a wave/spring washer. I think that it was a covered warranty repair but do not know if they would cover it on a 10 year old RV. When it occured on mine, it snapped the shafts on two locks and was covered by my extended warranty. My electronic locks are now functional, but I don't use them. I have a pair of 2 X 4s cut to length (with red ribbons attached) that I just lay on top of the slides, when retracted. EDIT: There are locked and unlocked limit switches on each lock. If the mobile tech messed with the limit switches, while trying to fix the problem, he may have made the problem worse.
Yep, (sadly) the slide lock on my 2013 37F also started acting up, and when holding the button would just run, sometimes unlock, sometimes lock, sometimes nothing... Now have cut a chunk of 2x4 the right length for my slide lock, no problems ever again. I have a label over my slide lock button saying"do not disturb"!
Sun88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

What does the length of 2x4 do? Does it act as the lock when you are traveling?
Old 01-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
What does the length of 2x4 do? Does it act as the lock when you are traveling?
When your slide is in, the length of 2x4 is cut to lay on top of the slide, and holds the slide fully in.
Sun88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide