Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Slide Lock Leak

I have a leak in the cabinet over my kitchen sink. It is coming out of the slide lock cover but I can't figure out how the water is entering the slide lock.

Anyone with the same problem that can offer a solution to fix it?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not sure I have had the same issue but two things to check:
- on the slide top right above the slide lock you might see an ~ 4" X 8" rectangle that looks like a patch - check for seam leaks.
- on the outside face of the slide very near the top edge, and right where the lock is, see if there is a ~ 3/8" access hole (drain hole - these are supposed to be cleaned occasionally with something like a pipe cleaner so they don't clog and fail to drain water from ???).

We experienced a bad wind-driven rain day and had a leak in a closet that we suspect came from one or both of these sources - never repeated since.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We had this issue. Definitely clean the weep holes on the outside, this will drain the water that is in the lock.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thank You

Thank you for your replies. I will clean the weep hole but I also need to find the source of the leak. I had the Coach washed but the slide topper should have prevented water intrusion from the top of the slide?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

No the slide topper just keeps debris off the roof. Water will still enter the slide lock. The exterior weeps drain the water to the outside. If they are blocked, the lock has no choice but to drain to the inside.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

UFO Pilot
Had a similar experience with our new to us at the time 2010 Sightseer– not a leak but a stain/shadow on the ceiling above where the slide locks are. Being total newbes didn't have a clue. Checked the lock box with a flashlite and a mirror and discover water and dirt in the box had splashed up on ceiling while driving I think. Mopped out the boxes with paper towels and cleaned the ceiling with '409', looks good as new.
Cleaning the weep-holes with pipe cleaner is now a regular maint. task. No more problems.
Good luck with yours.
Dan
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I experienced the same issue on MHz Journey 39Z.
I believe the slide topper had to be disconnected and placed on the roof to allow access to the slide lock mechanism and drain.
Doesn’t look like a easy task.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I never knew pipe cleaners would be so hard to find. Finally found some at a hobby shop.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I never knew pipe cleaners would be so hard to find. Finally found some at a hobby shop.
That's where I found mine. But, just because you get it in the hole it doesn't mean the blockage is gone. Last month I dutifully cleaned each lock drain port. With the next rain I had 2 backing up into the coach. Cleaned them again between showers and the water pressure pushed the critter garbage out. This is a very poor design imo. One of the ports is hidden by the porch awning. I have to run it out a bit to reach to hole from a 8' ladder.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I wonder where the bottom of these drains are located? I suppose if the line is fairly straight you could push a semi flexible “Falange” up from the bottom to clean it out however... the crap you want to get rid of would still be in the lock box.
I found a supplier of 8 foot nylon rod 3/16” diameter. Round off the end and it might just slide right up the drain line. Or, I can disconnect the slide topper and attack it from the top.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Found this Winnebago info:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...ut%20Locks.pdf
Old 11-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Found the drain hole on the left slideout but I’ll need to extend the awning on the right side to find those drain holes.
Ordered pipe cleaners online, very inexpensive.
I need to find the drain on the right side, I’m assuming that’s where water splashed into the RV while I was driving (water sitting in the lock tray I guess).
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkskyking View Post
I wonder where the bottom of these drains are located? I suppose if the line is fairly straight you could push a semi flexible “Falange” up from the bottom to clean it out however... the crap you want to get rid of would still be in the lock box.
I found a supplier of 8 foot nylon rod 3/16” diameter. Round off the end and it might just slide right up the drain line. Or, I can disconnect the slide topper and attack it from the top.
What lock system do you have? As I recall mine are Power Gear. I have a black rubbery box hanging down in the cabinet. One is behind the speaker, the other in an open space over the dishes. The drain is at the bottom and the drain button, on the outside, is just the right size for bugs to nest. I can only get the pipe cleaner in so far and then I hit the lock mechanism.

My lock started leaking again. I am going to try to use a baby nose cleaner to suck the junk out of the hole. This, again, is a hit or miss success. The drain design is truly poorly thought out. A slit and a duck bill would be much easier to deal with.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Slide out leaking

I have had leaking slide out for about 6 month off and on and I thought it was the locks causing the problem but after finding the lock area dry I removed the cover and cleaned the roof I found about 20 areas that were corroded because the roof of the slides are aluminum not fiberglass. When I removed the corrosion I found some holes through the thin aluminum so I cleaned it up and some of the holes were 1/4 inch so I put aluminum tape over all the holes and painted the roof with flex seal paint hopefully that will take care of my problem
GAL NAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL NAL View Post
I have had leaking slide out for about 6 month off and on and I thought it was the locks causing the problem but after finding the lock area dry I removed the cover and cleaned the roof I found about 20 areas that were corroded because the roof of the slides are aluminum not fiberglass. When I removed the corrosion I found some holes through the thin aluminum so I cleaned it up and some of the holes were 1/4 inch so I put aluminum tape over all the holes and painted the roof with flex seal paint hopefully that will take care of my problem
My coach is much newer. Once again, as of last night, I was getting dripped on. My lock is located behind a speaker. I pulled it out, once again, and found water dripping out of the shaft hole in the rubber tub. I am going to clip the cable tie and pull the tray extension off the discharge tube. Next I will pass the cleaner through the hole in hopes of knocking the plug onto a waiting towel. This is a bummer of a design.

I am glad that you found the real cause of your leak. It sounds like you did a good job of correcting the situation.

Tags
leak, slide