Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide Lock Clean/Drain

Discussed the slide out lock issue at length with our Service Adviser and he agreed that the design/location of the lock mechanism lends itself to maintenance problems. I have no intention of removing the slide out awning to clean the lock assembly depression (hole) in the roof. Also discussed with other owners, most were not aware of the potential problem, and we all agreed that Winnebago needs to redesign this mechanism. Service Adviser recommended pipe cleaners to clean the weep hole. It was also suggested by another owner to use a shop wet/dry vacuum to clean the weep hole and drain hose.

Our entire interior ceiling on the roadside slide out had extensive water damage and was replaced -- thankful the coach is still under warranty.

Suggested that Winnebago include this maintenance in the owner's manuals.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Where is this weep hole? The rain these last few days should test all of our roofs and slides. Today I moved down to the grass area at Service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Discussed the slide out lock issue at length with our Service Adviser and he agreed that the design/location of the lock mechanism lends itself to maintenance problems. I have no intention of removing the slide out awning to clean the lock assembly depression (hole) in the roof. Also discussed with other owners, most were not aware of the potential problem, and we all agreed that Winnebago needs to redesign this mechanism. Service Adviser recommended pipe cleaners to clean the weep hole. It was also suggested by another owner to use a shop wet/dry vacuum to clean the weep hole and drain hose.

Our entire interior ceiling on the roadside slide out had extensive water damage and was replaced -- thankful the coach is still under warranty.

Suggested that Winnebago include this maintenance in the owner's manuals.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the same kind of conversation with a service tech after I discovered a leak in the slide lock. I finally removed the lock assembly and fabricated a roof patch with a hard plastic sheet and Eternabond. It was a pain removing the awning, but at least I don't have to worry about cleaning the weep hole and the rubber boot spring a leak....on that side. I wonder who the engineering genius was who thought that putting a hole in the roof was a good idea. As for the lock, the HWH tech told me that there's 3K lbs of pressure keeping the slide closed, and after a year and 10k miles it hasn't moved. If I do have a problem with it moving, I'll buy a couple of 2X6s and block it the old fashioned way.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've never heard of this. Does anyone have a pic of this weep hole or can explain where its at.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Weep Hole Question...

My coach was parked in storage during a recent rain. I noticed a small amount of water on the floor and traced it to the curb side slide. I could reach the top of the slide from the inside and found it to be wet. Does this have anything to do with a weep hole? I wouldn't think I should have any water there with the slide closed. I sure don't want any water problems. Joe
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
rca
Winnebago Camper

azloafer...the weep holes are "designed" to drain any water that collects in the slide lock boots. I'm still not sure how water gets in the boots unless it seeps through the slide awning material when rain collects there. There seems to be enough raised portion of the flange around the slide lock housing assembly to stop water that has pooled on the slide top panel from entering, if the coach is level.
I've just finished removing my slide awning to access the slide locks from the top, cleaning out the lock boots and applying a generous layer of caulking along the outside edge in the hope of preventing water entering the compartment over the bed and dripping on my face at 5:30 am. When I went outside and looked under the awning, there was a bit of water on the slide top panel, not near enough to go over the lip of the lock flange. It's all buttoned up again and I've got my fingers crossed that I fixed something that wasn't obvious.
I would suggest that the water you found on the floor and on top of the slide came past the slide seal to wall surface....maybe it wasn't tightly closed? Good luck finding the leak.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
azloafer...the weep holes are "designed" to drain any water that collects in the slide lock boots. I'm still not sure how water gets in the boots unless it seeps through the slide awning material when rain collects there. There seems to be enough raised portion of the flange around the slide lock housing assembly to stop water that has pooled on the slide top panel from entering, if the coach is level.
I've just finished removing my slide awning to access the slide locks from the top, cleaning out the lock boots and applying a generous layer of caulking along the outside edge in the hope of preventing water entering the compartment over the bed and dripping on my face at 5:30 am. When I went outside and looked under the awning, there was a bit of water on the slide top panel, not near enough to go over the lip of the lock flange. It's all buttoned up again and I've got my fingers crossed that I fixed something that wasn't obvious.
I would suggest that the water you found on the floor and on top of the slide came past the slide seal to wall surface....maybe it wasn't tightly closed? Good luck finding the leak.
The storage lot where I park is not very level. I wonder if I should use the jacks to level the coach when it is parked there? It never leaked before. Maybe I was in a position that caused the coach to twist a little and create a gap between the top of the slide and the coach body. The storage lot was recently cover with a new layer of gravel, but they did not spread it well because of the coaches parked there at the time. I think I'll level it the next time it sits there and see what happens. Thanks for putting my brain in gear. Joe