Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Lock Bars

On a trip this year we experienced 50+ mph winds while driving south through eastern Wyoming. After a couple of hours of wrestling with the wind, I noticed my driver's side wall slideout on my Sightseer 33C was out about 1 1/2 inches on the front end (only). It didn't become an issue on the trip, but the slide never went in or out in parallel fashion until we took the MH in for service upon our return. They had to replace the entire Schwintek system as gears had been skipped and damage prevented them from re-syncing the motors (????). Anyways, the service rep recommended I get slide out lock bars to use when traveling to prevent any future issues.

I see a part made by Alta Resources and it looks ok:

http://www.altaresourcesllc.com/reso...ck%20Flier.pdf

Can't find any at Camping World. This Alta unit appears to be the only option.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any specific type or brand?

Thanks!
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Mine came with my unit. I usually use them for trips longer than 50 miles. They are kind of a pain to put in on my unit because of the closer tolerance on the rear edge of the slide to the "beautiful" mirror. My unit is currently in storage or I would offer up the brand. I have seen positive and negative comments on this and other forums. I think it is a matter of personal preference - my preference is - if the manufacturer provided them they must serve some useful purpose.
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Try PPL motorhomes. That was the cheapest/fastest/ best service for my pair of locks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447449544.544225.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	111817
Old 11-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfm View Post
On a trip this year we experienced 50+ mph winds while driving south through eastern Wyoming. After a couple of hours of wrestling with the wind, I noticed my driver's side wall slideout on my Sightseer 33C was out about 1 1/2 inches on the front end (only). It didn't become an issue on the trip, but the slide never went in or out in parallel fashion until we took the MH in for service upon our return. They had to replace the entire Schwintek system as gears had been skipped and damage prevented them from re-syncing the motors (????). Anyways, the service rep recommended I get slide out lock bars to use when traveling to prevent any future issues.

I see a part made by Alta Resources and it looks ok:

http://www.altaresourcesllc.com/reso...ck%20Flier.pdf

Can't find any at Camping World. This Alta unit appears to be the only option.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any specific type or brand?

Thanks!
I would give WGO in Forest City a call...they provided me free of charge a set of slide locks which has stopped the large slide on my Adventurer 32H from moving out while driving.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tip. I emailed them earlier; I'm sure I'll hear back Monday. Freebies are always nice.
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #6

If you don't get freebies from WGO you can make your own.

Closet pole rod and rubber end caps
Measure twice taking in account thickness of end caps so that you can wedge them in both sides of slideout near top and close to end.
They just need to be snug tight (enough to compress slideout seal a bit)

Made a set for a guy in campground ----slide out was tilting out when he made turns.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I use 3 lenghts of 2''x3" lumber cut to the proper length with a ribbon nailed to one end to remind us to remove the the ''lock''. we have Velcro on both ends for a snug fit.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our '03 Adventurer doesn't have the Schwintek system, HWH hydraulic system. The living room slide has a small nylon strap that connects to the slide on the front edge near the bottom. The other end hooks into a clip screwed to the floor, barely noticeable when the strap is removed. Bedroom slide doesn't have one. Previous owner said he never used the strap put I do.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide