Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a 2003 U/A in 2004 and had water leaks with the slides from the time I took ownership. I had the coach back to Forest City four times and had the seals replaced, but they still leaked. Winnebago told me a new slide seal was coming out, and in the spring of 2005 I had all three slides redone with new double seals. This then was to solve any future leaks.

The first problem happened during the first heavy rain. The dinette slide leaked and soaked the floor of the slide. I found that the new black slide plates they had installed on the slides were not caulked, and this allowed a water entry point. I then caulked all the top plates and that solved the new leak.

The next issue was when after a heavy rain I brought the galley slide in to shed the water on the awning. When I pulled in the slide I didn't get the leak, but when I ran it back out it leaked. I discovered that water had accumulated on the slide roof, and when the slide was run in some of the water must have came under the seals. Then when I ran the slide out the seals swept the water to the inside flange on the slide roof. This was where the water entry point was.

The next issue was after a heavy rain the dinette awning was full of water and a wind picked up and much of the water dumped onto the roof of the slide, and again the slide roof leaked.

To solve all this I have removed each awning from the slides, cleaned the slide roofs, and caulked the seams. It appears that Winnebago does not seal their slide roofs and expects the awnings to prevent water from getting onto the slide roof. I am writing this post because I looked at a 2006 Winnebago product next door to me and have seen that they are doing the same thing in current production.

The moral of the story is don't assume the slide roof is water tight, and don't think that when you get a slide leak that it could only be a bad seal causing it. I think it should be a good maintenance job to schedule every couple of years to remome to slide awning, clean the slide roof, and under side of the slide awning, and recaulk as needed the seams on the slide roof.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The new seals were replaced in the spring of 2006, not 2005. Sorry for the typo.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Good points Pat, the box or slide room needs to be sealed all around the sides and roof of slide, back side of facial trim. Have found this over looked on Fleetwoods as well as Winnebago's
The facial front fabrics will show the water stains if sealents are over looked.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
Good information to know. We have just purchased our first MH with slideouts, 2000 UA, and since we live in Oregon I know we will get caught out in the rain sometime in the future. Could you please post some pictures, if possible, of where to caulk on the slideouts. I am sure this is something I need to do.

Thanks

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm surprised to hear that the slide box seams would not be sealed/caulked. We've had no problems with leaks but I will certainly check that area.

I have heard the suggestion to tilt the coach with the jacks to drain water off the slides before retracting them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Pat

I have had roof leak problems on my large front slide ...lounge/galley slide in my case. It only occurs when we have wind blown rain in just the right direction. The leak soaks the carpeted roof inside the cabinets, and then drips from the overhead cabinet onto the leather couch. I had a dealer looking at seals a couple of years ago and when they pulled the slide top awning off, they found two screws holes in the top of the slide near the microwave area. They caulked the holes and we believed the leak was fixed. Then exactly one year later, we had a leak in the slide top again ...less wide-spread than before, but in the same area. The source of the leak definitely was close to the coach side of the slide roof ...perhaps one of the previously caulked holes, or perhaps the inner seam. This time I plan to pull the awning back myself (when I can get a clear couple of days when my son is off work) to do some caulking myself. I doubt the dealer caulked all the seams as I requested ...probably just caulked the holes they found and put it back together. At least if I do it, I will know what was done and how well.

I have thought about creating some kind a little "dam" to prevent/discourage water on the top of the slide from going against the coach wall side ...using stick-on vinyl side molding for a car perhaps? The "dam" would also help the top slide seal to properly flip as it sometimes does not do. I'm still think about that possibility, and thinking I'll make the decision after I actually get the awning back and see what I find.

I cured some basement storage compartment leaks by using spray-on automotive undercoating on the outside of the compartments. It can be rather messy, but might do the job on the slide top too!

I have observerd many less costly motorhomes and trailers which have an outward slope built into the slide top. That sure makes a whole lot of sense. Too bad Winnebago hasn't incorporated something that into the slide design.

We do often lower either the front or rear jacks a bit to dump water from the slide top awnings before retracting them. Until I get around the caulking the top, we always pull the front slide in when a heavy or windy rain comes up.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
doc
Winnebago Owner

I spoke to a fellow from Florida at the Gaffney Freightliner factory shop the other day. He had issues with his slide on his '05 Vectra. He said it has leaked since it was purchased and the dealer has been unable to find the leak. I suggested he might want to make a stop at the factory in Forest City if he got out that way, but he was doubtful he would be there any time soon. I wish he had access to this thread, it might save him some grief and aggravation.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote