Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago NO NO NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint11 View Post
We are at the factory for a retro fix of our passenger side front slide. It has failed 8 times in 18 months. Supposedly Lippert has designed a fix with new 300 to 1 ratio motors with brakes and a bracing system to eliminate flexing. The defective motors are 500-1 and do not have a brake. I hope this fixes it because it is the last straw. I really do not have high hopes since they told me to get to the factory asap and they were waiting for me to install the fix.......we raced across country to get here and have been here 5 days with no parts in sight!!!! Typical arrogance from these companies---once they get your money you are no longer important to them.
I forgot to add, there are at least 12 coaches here with the same slide problem. I was told they have installed this fix in 5 coaches and mine is suppossed to be the 6th. They say the fix works and I will not have any more problems---we will see.
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
On the "Still more Schwintek slideout woes" Winnebago thread, .... Also he may have had them, but is he aware of any 2015s having this problem.
My 2015 Itasca 37F just got back from Camping World after major slide issues....
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I forgot to add, there are at least 12 coaches here with the same slide problem. I was told they have installed this fix in 5 coaches and mine is suppossed to be the 6th. They say the fix works and I will not have any more problems---we will see.
After the fix, I would be very interested in a description of what they did. I feel like it is merely a matter of time before my scwintek have problems again.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago NO NO NO

Quote:
Since the last post about 45 minutes ago I was called into the Service Dept to be told Lippert had forgot to ship the parts----these are parts that were to be at the Winnebago factory 8 days ago awaiting our arrival. Now I am told the only guy who can install the fix is flying to Calif. to work on two other coaches and will be back in Forest City, IA next Thursday to fix my coach. I am beyond pissed off with the poor treatment from Winnebago and Lippert. Looks like lemon law time--I gave them every chance to fix the problem and they show no interest in performing.
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Clint,

I feel bad for you. You rely on your machine and they have let you down. Hang in there and you'll be on the road soon enough.

As a group of owners we get it that things are going to break, some more than others. But whats so disappointing about this Schwintek issue is the lack of ownership for the fault!

We fixed ours 3 times and then kicked it to the curb.

Keep Calm, good luck and keep us updated on how it proceeds.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

My new 2016 Itasca Navion has one slide about 8 feet long (Schwintek). It sounds like most problems are with much larger slides. Is this the case? I'm hoping my smaller slide won't have the trouble others are experiencing. Any advice and opinions are welcome.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Hi Ken,

As you can see by my signature I no longer own a Winnebago product, but I am following this thread because I really feel for the owners who are having problems. We went through it too.

Perhaps someone else will comment but its my understanding that the FWS have the highest risk of failures. Alignment issues and gear cogs eating the Schwintek rails are probably some of the biggest issues along with damaged interior trim and exterior mouldings and fiberglass. I repaired our FWS once on the Journey we owned and the whole assembly is low quality. The bearings are offshore and really light duty, the rollers are plastic and held in with thin C-clips.
Hopefully the warranty fixes are using higher spec's on material.

Its my opinion that the smaller slides are holding up.......To the best of my knowledge.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #48
Winnie-Wise

I have a smaller slideout (Dinette and Fridge area only - Just under 10 feet) and my Schwintek mechanism gave out after a year of ownership. Had the slide repaired, but they are using a different gasket now. The slide does seal out the weather; however, the slide does not cosmetically seal against the inside wall. It looks like the slide is malfunctioning because the inside frame around the slide does not seal against the wall inside the motorhome when extended.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I (and two other Tour owners I met) have the same problems you are having. Two weeks ago I had my front Lippert/Schwintek slide mechanisms repaired for the 5th time in 6 months. 2014 Tour 42 QD. Over 80 documented failures in the coach since bought new in Feb 2014. 3 items broken now as I write this. Been down over 100 days waiting for repairs/parts. Many repeat failures. Several are safety issues such as engine brake failures. Even a 5 day stay at the factory could not fix all the defects---some they told me are not repairable!!!

We had two slide kits installed on our passenger galley slide in the first year, so understand the Lippert/Schwintek issues. I'm at the factory in Forest City next week to have slides check, they are again running rough, and we have 13 other issues for repair.

Regarding exhaust brake, our was intermittent for a year and a half, Freightliner at Gafney Factory Service Center and half a dozen other locations could never find the issue. Turns out I had two separate causes, that I finally figured out and reported to Freightliner. First, the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor works loose and does not return to the off-pedal position when you take the foot off the pedal. Found that by putting my foot under the pedal and pulling back. Second, a six-pin connector in the wire bundles under the left foot rest had bad pins, making intermittent connection. The plug was cut out and the wires spliced. My issue is now resolved.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide