Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide issue

I have a 2005 Vectra 40AD. Today when I went to bring the left slide in it hesitates and very very slowly raises and then starts in normal. It acts like it wasn’t going to raise. I found some broken pieces of 1/4 inch thick nylon below and in the end of the tracks. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dan
Dwmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #2

*If your floor is moving slow, before you do any modifications, make sure your first use a good slideout lube spray and be sure to spray the parts the plastic triangles slide on.

* If your slide is still moving slow, then maybe you have some extra weight in the area next to the couch? If so, remove it and see if your slide works better/faster and does not hope or jerk or make a stretching noise.

* If your paint lines don’t match-up with the slide closed; or your slide drops too low on one or both ends, then chances are you have a cracked triangle piece or some bottom pads cracked and are no longer there. Note: The better replacement pad is “black” in color so be sure to replace your white ones with the black ones.

FLAT FLOOR SLIDE OUT KIT REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE (By Kevin C. with edits)

1)

2) Video of Winnebago Slideout KEEP!! Great explanation on how to repair & adjust your slide:

PARTS:

* HWH Flat Floor Slideout Kit: Plastic Triangles and shims, plus:
Part# RAP91028

* Crushed Bearing Pad Part# RAP91975
(Get the black pads if possible. They are stronger.)

I have to replace my triangles too. I called several shops along my route from Arizona to Nevada and prices varied from 6 hours to 12 hours... what every they can get away with. One shop quoted me $2,200 so I passed. Another shop quoted me $600-$800 + parts, but I have yet to schedule an appointment.

Note: I talked to the shop who said they could do it for $600-$800 labor and the mechanic knew what he was talking about. The shop at $2,200 was you typical Lazy Days outfit that only takes the high dollar business, and their approach to this repair is that "our techs have seen it all." So you tell me which one you would go with!

According to Kevin C, this is a 4-6 hour job the first time around. His coach is a 2005 Adventurer (35' gas RV), which uses the same slide as my 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD diesel. ...And frankly I would do it myself if I had e floor jack, 2x4, bottle jack, and some wedges -- just like Kevin C did in his video.

The attached .pdf includes notes and websites I have collected, but can't give any personal feedback to back this information up.

* I also just ordered $400 of slideout parts that includes 2 slide kits and some specialty hardware. I ordered these parts direct from HWH and they arrived in 5 days.

Note: Each slide kit comes with 4 plastic triangles, but you may only need 2.
So one kit may work for both ram slides. (TBD)

I suggest you order 2 slide kits just to be sure you have enough parts when getting service; and then you can return extra kit if you don't need it and pay the 15% restocking fee.

* Also, there are other plastic parts in the kit, but you may not bother replacing your old side plastic parts since they don't really wear. Just the front triangle split and/or crack; and the bottom slide pad (aka Bearing Pad Kit), as you can see in the picture below, can get destroyed. Note: Replace these with the more durable "black" color slide bad and avoid buying the kit with the white pads in them. (HWH has the black ones.)

* I am told that after you replace the triangles your paint lines should match up. TBD.

* If anyone can tell us where they got there slide kit installed and how much you got charged, that would be good information to know about. Cuz, I get the feeling this is not a repair all mechanics have done before, but can figure out.

Thanks to the video posted on YouTube by Kevin C., wall can figure this repair out, but wanting to do it is another story. I'm always traveling when I am in my RV, but if I had a garage I would do it. ...It just looks intimidating, but after you watch the video a few times, it's really not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearing Pad (Crushed) Need Part#RAP91975 $35ea.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	178780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat Floor Slideout Triangle 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	178781  

Name:	Sliideout Kit #RAP91028 Diagram.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	178782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sliideout Kit #RAP91028 Diagram 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	178783  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH Slide Mainenance Kit # RAP91028 (PDF).pdf (339.8 KB, 118 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:01 AM   #3

Slideout Kit Installed - In The Reef At Rocky Point, MX (Puerto Penasco)

Today I decided to give my "RV DAY SPA" mechanics in Puerto Penasco, MX a shot at replacing my HWH Kit Parts (Triangle Kit and Bearing Slide Kit).

And I was shocked to find out Gabriel knew how to to this job. ...I mean really shocked. I thought I was going to have to get down under and supervise and be the lead on this project, but that was not the case.

I will post a new thread another day, when I have more time to be detailed, but for now I will tell you from my own experiences how this slideout kit will require 2 people 4-hours of time to complete, in my 2004 Horizon 40AD, because you need to remove the cover plates on the passenger side in order to remove the entire RAM assembly!

===

That's what I said, we did NOT use wedges to open the gussets like Kevin C. did in his video. My guess is that he was able to do this on his 2005 Adventure, but on my coach the gussets were strongly reinforced by welded steel supports.

So, IMO, the only way to do this job right is to remove the entire RAM assembly and leave the inner hydraulic cylinder as-is.

...And we could not follow the same method as Kevin C. did in the video posted above. The point being, us Horizon and Vectra owners have a diesel chassis and it's just built different than the HWH Storemore "Flat Floors" used in gas rigs. (Or so I assume.)

And given how tight the RAM slide work back-and-forth inside the outer enclosure, again you would not be able to replace the front and rear plastic parts and shims without removing the entire RAM assembly! (See pictures below.)

Also, with the entire RAM out of the coach, we cleaned it, and used 800 grit sand paper to polish the ram. And now it slides like a well made glove fit on a hand. I'm very pleased.

I was never sure when I was talking to the mechanics, at several shops, if they were only quoting me the time it takes to replace the outer triangles or if their quote was to do a complete slideout kit replacement?

My guess is that this job would be billed at 16 total man hours in a shop since it really takes 2 people to do it right. That's a full day with 2 people on the job. So 16x$125/hr=$2,000 plus $350 in parts. ($2,350 total) ...which is right at the cost of the most expensive shop... I shopped. And I would not want them cutting corners!

Maybe if you have a gas rig and only want to replace your outer triangles, and you did not have to remover your entire RAM assembly, then $900-$1,000 would be your bill; and of all the parts needing to be replaced, it is true you could get away with JUST the outer triangles and install the "black" Bearing Pads. (Of course you have to buy the entire kit to get the black pads... unless you get your work done at HWH in Moscow, IA. They will sell you just the black pads and can replace the triangle for $800.

* I recommend you ask for all the old parts back when you pay a shop to do this job. There are a lot of corners that can be cut based on what I witnessed today and if you get your old parts back, then you can be sure they used every part in the ktis.

...And since I insist on first quality, I know that's what I got today. So I am very happy I took a flyer on this project, and I am extremely happy I did not do this job myself!!! Gabriel really came thru for me today!

I do recommend you buy 2 slideout kits (one for each RAM) and 2 Bearing Pad Kits.

* My outboard triangles were really shredded and the bearing pad was crushed.

* I also recommend you head to The Reef RV Park at Rocky Point, Puerto Penasco, MX and ask Gabriel to do it for you!

* The other day Gabriel took apart my ATS-507 and we inspected the relays in side, then we did a service on my Basement AC capacitors, and he and Manuel changed my engine and generator oil. (Perfecto!)

...And if you need any body and paint work... Carlos and Pablo are your guys!

...And if you need your your entire inside cleaned (carpets, day-night shades, couch vinyl, etc.) ask for Omar.

...And Kiko can wash and wax your RV too!

I tell you, I am so sold on this place, that is why I call it an "RV DAY SPA."

...And tomorrow, Linda from the Office is going to give me a massage outside my RV.

FANTASTICO!

For more information about The Reef at Rocky Point, go to this link:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-358003-2.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	178808   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	178809  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	178810   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	178811  

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	178812   Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	178813  

Name:	May-2021.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	178816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Change.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	178817  

Old 05-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

Just a quick correction: I meant to say, "...from my experiences watching his job, from start to finish, that it will take 2 people, 8 hours of time to complete, or 16 man-hours total."

And next time around, Gabriel could probably get it done in 12 man hours.

This time estimate is for a diesel Itasca "Horizon" 40AD, which apparently is different in terms of how you access the RAM on both ends vs. a gas Adventurer RV with the same HWH "Flat Floor" ...And that is assuming the fully understand Kevin C.'s video posted in the previous thread.

So have at it. Once you are under the coach, and see how the RAM-ramps work, you will be able to figure out the methods to HWH's madness, and how they designed this thing; and you will know where you need to squirt your slide lube in the future! ...Turns out I was NOT doing the best I could to keep those gussets well lubricated, and the metal oxidized, and over time "shredded" my outboard triangles.

...Only the white bearing pad (front) on the end was cracked. And this tilted my slideout box in such a way as the metal frame (top area near the ceiling) on the kitchen end was hitting the side wall frame supports.

Tags
slide