Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2022, 11:59 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Slide comes in but won't go out - Bad switch?

I'm hoping someone can lend me some advice.

I just returned home from a trip and when I attempted to extend the slide, there was no noise or movement from the motors. Dead. When I flip the rocker to retract, there is normal sound (obviously not much movement because it's already in .

I pulled off all of the spade connections and reattached thinking there may have been some corrosion, but nada. Maybe it's a bad switch? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Testing the switch is the first step.Do you have and know how to use a multi-meter?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Did you check any fuses? If the switch and fuses check OK, a common failure point with many motor driven devices is the ground connection to the motor.

If you don't have a multimeter, I suggest you get one. Even an inexpensive model from Harbor Freight will handle most of your needs that typically involve continuity checking and voltage measurements.

If you want to spend a bit more, a multimeter with a clamp-on amp probe is indispensable in measuring current flow (amps). Just make doubly sure it's capable of measuring both AC and DC amps via the probe. With the clamp-on probe, you don't have to break the circuit to insert the meter, you simply attach the clamp around the wire you're testing. Here's a link to one that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/KAIWEETS-Mult...s%2C195&sr=8-3

Even if you get the more expensive meter, a $7 Harbor Freight multimeter nice to have to keep onboard so you always have it when you need it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the replies Bob and Ray and apologize for the delayed response.

To be honest, I didn't know how to test a switch until I U-tubed it. My multimeter does not have clamps (only probes) and was difficult to test without them but eventually was able to surmise the switch was indeed good.

Squirming under the retracted slide and removing the luan panel revealed a wire on the control board literally "fell" out of spade lug. It wasn't even crimped.

Lesson learned is to pre-emptively check ALL electrical connection(s) and re-torque / tighten wherever possible.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221123_100617393.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	184682  
Old 11-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Congratulations, the next time someone has a similar problem, you'll be able to help them. Your troubleshooting instincts were right on.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I realize that the problem has already been solved but here is some advice for others. A defective parking brake switch or having the parking brake not set will prevent the slides from extending on most motorhomes. Strange as it may seem, in most cases the slides can still be retracted.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, switch