Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Itasca Owner

Slide Awning

We're new to the Winnebago community having recently purchased our fur kids inheritances on a beautiful Itasca Suncruiser 37F. We're chomping at the bit to "get out of Dodge" and are looking forward to a short "break in" trip in a couple of weeks. One issue has arisen, however:

The coach has a full wall slide with an awning topper. I noticed that the awning rolled up crooked and thus extended the slide in an attempt to straighten it. When the slide (and topper) extended, however, the topper was not taut throughout its length. It was taut at the front, but decidedly sagging an inch or two at the rear. Is that issue something I can fix myself or do I get to call my friendly local repair guy?

Any ideas or thoughts?

Edgewoodpete
[email protected]
EdgewoodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to say that there is not much that can be done. Toppers are made with a cord sewn in on the RV side and an overlap on the roll side. The side on the RV has a set screw that can be removed and pull the awning a little to remove small kinks as it rolls up. If the RV is new let the dealer fix it. A little sag will not hurt anything. In fact it will help rain run off to a given direction. The topper is only there to protect the upper seal and keep junk off the top of the slide. Cheaper RV's do not have topper. Go thing you have a Winnebago.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Itasca Owner

Thanks - time to get out the ladder and see if I can pull the fabric enough.
Stay cool in the heat!
EdgewoodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Interestingly enough, just this morning my son and I replaced both toppers on my rig.

ToughTop provided the new toppers.

Turns out to be a piece of cake with two people (44 & 72 if that is important to you) and two eight foot a-frame ladders.

To your point, one of the installation check points is to measure your slide depth fwd and your slide depth aft to ensure equal for a nice snug fit. Slides can get canted a tad, and it wouldn't take much to cause sag and/or uneven uptake when rolling in. If it is canted a tad, your owners manual should describe how to adjust. For me, it is the same process as manual retraction. YouTube has several instructional videos also.

Good Luck

Fair Winds and Following Seas!
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide