Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We are relatively new motorhome owners and are still trying to figure out how much of the troubleshooting and repair work we do ourselves versus just taking the motorhome to a repair shop.

The last time we took our motorhome ('96 Adventurer) out, the jacks deployed fine, but the slide only extended about 4 inches before stopping and refusing to extend or retract any further. The jacks retracted fine at the end of our weekend, but the slide still didn't budge either way. I managed to get the slide retracted manually. When I tried to troubleshoot the issue a week later, the jacks wouldn't deploy and the slide didn't move in or out. I checked the hydraulic fluid level, which appeared to be fine. I had my wife try to deploy the jacks as well as extend the slide with me sitting next to the hydraulic reservoir. I could hear a click as she pressed the button for the slide and when she tried to deploy the jacks, but I couldn't hear anything else. My first thought is that the selenoids created the click sound, but I expected to hear the hydraulic pump kick in after that. Any suggestions on where to go next from a troubleshooting standpoint?

Thanks in advance,
Kurt
'96 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW
kdetam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We are relatively new motorhome owners and are still trying to figure out how much of the troubleshooting and repair work we do ourselves versus just taking the motorhome to a repair shop.

The last time we took our motorhome ('96 Adventurer) out, the jacks deployed fine, but the slide only extended about 4 inches before stopping and refusing to extend or retract any further. The jacks retracted fine at the end of our weekend, but the slide still didn't budge either way. I managed to get the slide retracted manually. When I tried to troubleshoot the issue a week later, the jacks wouldn't deploy and the slide didn't move in or out. I checked the hydraulic fluid level, which appeared to be fine. I had my wife try to deploy the jacks as well as extend the slide with me sitting next to the hydraulic reservoir. I could hear a click as she pressed the button for the slide and when she tried to deploy the jacks, but I couldn't hear anything else. My first thought is that the selenoids created the click sound, but I expected to hear the hydraulic pump kick in after that. Any suggestions on where to go next from a troubleshooting standpoint?

Thanks in advance,
Kurt
'96 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW
kdetam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

if you have an hwh system, call them at 563.724.3396.
my system runs off the starting battery. check your battery voltage. it should be at least 12.2 volts (50% discharged)
if the battery is ok and you hear the solenoid click but the pump motor will not run, you may have a poor ground to the motor. it is grounded by the clamp strap that holds the solenoid.
you might tap on the end of the motor where the connections are to reseat the brushes in the motor while someone else holds the switch energized. that worked for me. i eventually had to replace the motor.
hope this helps.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

In the control box for the hydralic you will find the curcuit board. You will find a total of 10 fuses. 3 - 5amp. 1 - 7.5amp. 1 - 3amp. 1 - 10amp 4 - 15amp. you might check these fuse. I know that the 15amps blue in color are for the relays to the solenoids. I had to replace the one for my jacks. That's the way mine is set up.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Randy ...

We also own a 2004 Journey ... I have never had the pleasure of taking the cover off my control box ... is it easy to do?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Kurt,
I fought a similar intermittent problem with my HWH system for quite a while. With the help of Randy, an HWH Tech, we found the problem to be a corroded and broken wire in the main pump relay. Check the fuses as suggested by Randy. If they are OK, using a test probe while someone holds one of the slide/jack activation switches, ground out the terminals on the main and pump relays. If the pump starts to work when you ground out any of the terminals, it is a pretty sure indication of a bad relay.

skigramp, that seal around the control board cover can be a real bugger to get off and back on when you check the fuses, just take your time.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had the same happen to me and the end result was a bad motor. Start there. You will see a terminal on the back of the pump motor. Put the positive lead from your volt meter on it and the black to a good ground. Have someone press the jack or room switch to energize the motor. If you have 12+ volts it's probably the motor. If not check the fuse that's in line with the motor, cleverly disguised as as lump in the wire and as suggested above check all other fuses.
LV Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote