Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Slide Adjustment

Our 2012 Itascia Meridian 42E has just developed a slide problem. The drivers side slide is very noise and opens/closes unevenly. Ocassionally we must start and stop the operation to get it fully extended or retracted. I had Campng World adjust it once. It's no better. I think I read on one of these threads a concern that the slides maybe to large for the Lippert Slide Mechanism. Has anyone else experienced slide issues with this or similar models? Any advise as I move forward with reaching a resolution is much appreciatied.

Dain and Deborah Riley
2012 Itascia Meridian 42E
Raleigh, NC
basic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
.....It's no better. I think I read on one of these threads a concern that the slides maybe to large for the Lippert Slide Mechanism. Has anyone else experienced slide issues with this or similar models? Any advise as I move forward with reaching a resolution is much appreciated.
Unfortunately yes! Not with my new 2014 Itasca, but with the 2014 Thor Daybreak 34XD full wall slide that I purchased back in April this year. After four and a half out of five months of ownership with it in the shop, including replacement of the tracks, one of the four slide motors and body work to correct an out of square slide frame, I finally tired of the battle to get it repaired to my satisfaction. I dumped the unit at a substantial loss and bought the above Itasca.

Still have the Libbert slide mechanism in the Itasca, but the slides are much smaller and so far, they are working.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mine is going in next Friday to have a problem checked out. CW in Boisie replaced the entire slide mechanism in May. Since then I've used it less than 20 times. It failed again----a loud snap sound at the top over the sink and the front end moves, the rear doesn't.
So far Winninbago has be great in taking care of the problem but it's getting to the point of being irritating.
I would suggest that you call Lippert customer service and explain the problem to them. I was impressed by their knowledge. You just might get some ideas
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In the meantime, keep the slide seals lubricated with slide gasket spray; and keep the mechanism lubricated with Dri-Slide or similar product. The use of oils and greases will collect road dirt and grime, turning them into a crude grinding compound.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

A good lube suggested on this forum is CRC Power Lube: CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 11 oz Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I bought 2 cans and have not been disappointed. My power gear driven slides were starting to make strange noises when they moved. After spraying everything I could find that was associated with the racks the slides started to run more quiet. After doing this a couple of times between trips the slides now seem to be working with less effort and no unusual noises of pending doom.

My porch awning was a real noise source when it operated. I sprayed the tracks with the CRC and they it is operating quiet. I have been experimenting with the jacks. It seems to be improving store time for them as well but I will not report full success until I operate them in cold weather.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Mine is going in next Friday to have a problem checked out. CW in Boisie replaced the entire slide mechanism in May. Since then I've used it less than 20 times. It failed again----a loud snap sound at the top over the sink and the front end moves, the rear doesn't.
So far Winninbago has be great in taking care of the problem but it's getting to the point of being irritating.
I would suggest that you call Lippert customer service and explain the problem to them. I was impressed by their knowledge. You just might get some ideas
I've been told that the weak-link in the system is the gear itself is plastic; haven't seen one myself, but have been told that a tooth or a few teeth can break off the gear. A mobile repair guy quoted me $450 per rail to open it up and replace the gear, so $900 per slide-out if both have been damaged. He said that usually one lets go but then puts more stress on the second rail and tears up that gear as well.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We've had troubles with our Meridian 34B (2013) LCI Schwintek drivers side slide. Dealer has had it three times and it's much better, but I'm going to take it to Winny to have them look at it. My opinion is that the 34B drivers side slide is too big to work correctly. However, I'm not a mechanical engineer, so my opinion is probably not useful.
One problem is that the rear seal on the drivers side barely contacts the wall of the slide. Another is that there is a cracking/squeeking/ snapping sound coming out of the area directly behind the driver. It is especially bad when the frame gets "twisted" due to uneven terrain. In the beginning the slide would not copse totally in the rear. Dealer fixed that, but now the kitchen counter rubs against the kitchen sink frame while the slide is moving in. You have to see it to understand since I'm not able to describe it very well.
Still love the unit, but we do need slide answers.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I've been told that the weak-link in the system is the gear itself is plastic; haven't seen one myself, but have been told that a tooth or a few teeth can break off the gear. A mobile repair guy quoted me $450 per rail to open it up and replace the gear, so $900 per slide-out if both have been damaged. He said that usually one lets go but then puts more stress on the second rail and tears up that gear as well.
No, they are metal. Call Winni Customer Service before you do anything. Those guys are great
Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
No, they are metal. Call Winni Customer Service before you do anything. Those guys are great

Don't do anything with the mobile guy. Sounds fishy to me. Calling the Winnebago service center in Forest City will get you the correct information and they can give you an estimate of what they charge for the repair service.

Tags
slide