Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Skylight leak...water intrusion

Last weekend in heavy rain I discovered that water was leaking thru shower skylight of my 2017 Navion. Water was dripping slowly off of one screw. This was the first time I noticed any water in the RV. RV is stored under cover. I pulled the inside skylight to inspect and it became very apparent that there has been water intrusion for some time. The luan paneling in the area of the leak is junk. I called and made appt for service, but the service center can't take me in until the end of April. I have identified the source of the leak outside where the lap sealant has pulled away from the edge of the skylight...the outside repair seems straight forward. The inside repair seems a bit more daunting, but I am not sure I want the rig grounded until summer to get this taken care of. Ideally, some of the damaged paneling should come out, but I am not sure how to replace that since the ceiling padded vinyl appears to be something that cannot simply be taken down and easily replaced...appears to span several square feet, and its probably glued to the luan. I would appreciate it if someone could offer suggestions as to where to start with this (I'm pretty handy one pointed in the right direction), or just get leave the rig under cover and get ready to pay RV service labor rates.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66869602-9A4C-4D35-A734-FF1640FC738A.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	177336   Click image for larger version

Name:	56106F23-3653-4408-9190-C9653861B06E.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	177337  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9FCDBD28-50A4-4312-A447-D5B94F8598E8.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	177338  
ajbettencour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

Maybe make a square larger than the skylight on the ceiling and cut the Luan out and carefully separate it from the foam core. Let everything dry out and replace the panel with new luan and a compatable adhesive to the foam. Where you cut the square get some seam strips like they use in RV ceilings and cover the cut lines. You definetly need to get the wet or damaged luan out so it doesn't mildew. Note never done this but that would be my DIY solution and try to make it look nice. I hope the water didn't creep into the wall area also.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
US1
Winnebago Camper

Since you found and addressed the leak from the outside, if the inside looks fine with the inner back on, possibly just leave it as is? You can always slip a thin peice of sheet metal between the foam and luan in order to give the screws some fresh meat to screw into if your screws have nothing left to tighten up to.

May be more noticeable trying to peel the covering from the luan and stretching it in order to replace a section of the luan than leaving it alone. The luan and ceiling covering more than likely also spans the whole roof, so the walls help support the ceiling. Trying to replace a section of the ceiling without being able to tuck it back over the walls, you will be relying only on the glue to the foam to hold the luan up.

Tags
leak, light, water