Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Skylight Guard?

Has anyone installed a guard of some to protect your skylight?

When I bought my 35U last Nov, the skylight was cracked and I had to replace it (expensive) and fix some related water damage in the bathroom ceiling (not expensive but a lot of work).

Since then I've occasionally driven under some low-hanging branches which didn't but could easily have damaged my new skylight.

I was thinking that a simple guard of some sort would work. Since my skylight has a translucent inner cover, I don't need to worry about what the guard would look like from below as long as it lets the light in. I did a Google search and found some residential guards but not ones for RVs yet.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Has anyone installed a guard of some to protect your skylight?

When I bought my 35U last Nov, the skylight was cracked and I had to replace it (expensive) and fix some related water damage in the bathroom ceiling (not expensive but a lot of work).

Since then I've occasionally driven under some low-hanging branches which didn't but could easily have damaged my new skylight.

I was thinking that a simple guard of some sort would work. Since my skylight has a translucent inner cover, I don't need to worry about what the guard would look like from below as long as it lets the light in. I did a Google search and found some residential guards but not ones for RVs yet.
what is your definition of "expensive"? 32-seasons coming to an end with 3 different MHs and have never had an issue with a skylight, vent cover, etc. maybe lucky or maybe it's not a widespread issue. if inexpensive then why not? otherwise self-insure by creating or adding $ to a maintenance and repair fund.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

3 Years ago we were parked in an RV park and a storm blew in overnight..resulting in downed tree limbs etc. One of them crashed down on our rig cracking the A/C cover and demolishing one of the max air vent covers which I had just installed a few weeks previous it also took out the roof antenna,,My point is if that vent cover had not been there... rain would have poured in because I know the flimsy vent cover would not have survived..It got me thinking that a protective cover over the bathroom skylight would be something I would install if they were available...but so far we have dodged the bullet..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't want anything that will mean more holes in the roof. After many years of RVing, we have never had any problems with damage to the skylight... and if we did, we'd let our insurance take care of the repair.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I don't want anything that will mean more holes in the roof. After many years of RVing, we have never had any problems with damage to the skylight... and if we did, we'd let our insurance take care of the repair.
I would probably use the existing mounting screws.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Go to a supply store that handles auto vinyl sheets for windows and hoods; it's probably a 3M product, with varying thickness.

Get a square yard of clear hood film and apply over the cover. It will handle most scrapes and if the cover gets impacted, likely the film will not separate and will protect the interior until you can get it replaced.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Using Maxx Air cover

The bathroom vent on our motorhome kept vibrating open while driving down the road. Ended up installing the cover for a Fantastic Vent, Maxx Air I think, and all good now. Best part is the vent can be left open either driving or parked and get some air movement in the bath, which is always a good thing. Probably possible to get some water in with heavy rain and wind directly from the rear when parked, but have not had that yet.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Go to a supply store that handles auto vinyl sheets for windows and hoods; it's probably a 3M product, with varying thickness.

Get a square yard of clear hood film and apply over the cover. It will handle most scrapes and if the cover gets impacted, likely the film will not separate and will protect the interior until you can get it replaced.
I never would have thought about that. I'll have to check it out. It would also probably protect against some impact by spreading the impact over a larger surface. I'm thinking of hitting smaller branches.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I stumbled and put my foot through the dome. Coated the edges of the crack with JB Weld and gave it a narrow topcoat of white sealant for sun protection. It has been leak-free for years in the Oregon rain. Not pretty. but not visible from the ground, and much less expensive than replacement.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I went to Amazon and bought a skylight. It had carbon fiber and is guaranteed not to break and was half the price of original equipment replacement.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Gator View Post
I went to Amazon and bought a skylight. It had carbon fiber and is guaranteed not to break and was half the price of original equipment replacement.
I realized after I bought my Winnebago part that, given the way they're constructed with the inner and outer pieces that I could have just purchased an outer skylight that was as big or bigger than the original, since my inner one was undamaged. There was no need to pay $$$ for an exact replacement. All it had to do was cover the hole.

Tags
light