Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shower Water Pressure

I have a 40psi reducer at the spicket, then a filter. Does the filter reduce the pressure more? Should I be using a 60psi reducer?

When we were at our first campground the pressure was fine, but, we didn't have a filter at that site. At a new campground, we're using the filter and the pressure is low. Could be the campground. Do I need a pressure reducer with the filter? If so, should I be at 60psi? See sig for rig....

Never used a filter in our 5er.

Thx..
Old 09-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
is your 'reducer' one like this?

if so all that device is doing is reducing the flow of water, not the pressure. plus those cheap devices frequently get plugged up with silt and pebbles further reducing the flow.

consider using a genuine adjustable rv water pressure regulator like these. strongly suggest spending the bucks for the stainless steel model.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Adj.htm

and you don't/won't need to regulate your water pressure at every CG. your MH can withstand pressures well beyond 60-psi. but we leave our regulator set at 60-psi for convenience.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Site Team

The short answer is... YES it could be the campground. Every campground we go to is different. We bought an adjustable pressure reducer with a gauge. It was only $30 and now we know if it's the CG or something else:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07198GQPV/
Old 09-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The short answer is... YES it could be the campground. Every campground we go to is different. We bought an adjustable pressure reducer with a gauge. It was only $30 and now we know if it's the CG or something else:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07198GQPV/
We purchased the same pressure regulator and are very glad we did. We have been able to adjust our pressure as needed from CG to CG. Surprisingly, we find that the water pressure is greater at the various state parks we've stayed at than what we find at most RV parks. My wife keeps a binder of the various places we've stayed which lists the numeric spots that are favorable to us should we return. I have her write down the water pressure at each place, as well.

A word of caution. When you adjust your regulator (typically with a slot head screwdriver), give it a small adjustment of maybe a quarter or half turn, and then open/close a water valve at the MH. Read the pressure afterwards. Adjust accordingly. I have seen people at CGs continually adjust it up without putting a temporary load on it after each adjustment and then over pressurize their line. As mentioned, our rigs can handle more than the manufacture states but I never like pushing the envelope. Setting it at 50 to 60 psi will more than make up for head loss a filter will create. And always, always use a filter!

Al
Old 09-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
is your 'reducer' one like this?

if so all that device is doing is reducing the flow of water, not the pressure. plus those cheap devices frequently get plugged up with silt and pebbles further reducing the flow.

consider using a genuine adjustable rv water pressure regulator like these. strongly suggest spending the bucks for the stainless steel model.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Adj.htm

and you don't/won't need to regulate your water pressure at every CG. your MH can withstand pressures well beyond 60-psi. but we leave our regulator set at 60-psi for convenience.
It is, it sez 40-50psi. Ive seen some that say 60psi.
Just figured that part out. If I get one that sez 60psi, technically it should reduce the flow so I have 60psi. There would be other factors, length ofhose and it seems the filter does reduce the pressure.

But as mentioned, a gauge would take out the guessing.

When using a filter, is it good enough where you could drink the cg water?
Old 09-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

static pressure and flow are two different things. using a cheap one like you have regulates flow, not pressure and won’t help or hurt at most parks since most will have pressures not much more than 60-psi (33-yrs of experience). but sooner or later you’ll likely encounter a park with really high water pressure and warnings to use a *pressure* regulator. the flow device you’re using may not give you the protection you’re seeking.

your RV’s PEX water lines should be able to handle pressures up to 100-psi, your water hose may not. strongly suggest you get the Watts adjustable pressure regulator. it will regulate the pressure but maintain the flow.

as for campground water...our first RV (1986-2000) had no built-in water filter and we didn’t use one. drank the water in each of the lower 48 states and several canadian provinces with no ill effects.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks 4 your help. Always learn something new... No matter how long a person camps .
Old 09-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

you’re most welcome.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Here is the quick test I did for the Shower of Power:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...er-354104.html
Perhaps you need a better shower head?
Old 09-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a pretty good head. None of the holes r plugged. I took the reducer off and hooked up the filter then hose. We'll see what the ladies say tomorrow morn.

Quite the link. But we have on demand hot water. Can stand in the shower all day. Runs on diesel..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_201248.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	172173  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The ladies like the pressure now...
Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

A filter will not typically filter out any potential bacteria issues. It will filter out particles. The manufacturer always cautions about only using "a trusted water source" when filling your potable water tank or using it for drinking water. There are probably filter setups that will handle other issues than simple particulates but the inline filters that you put on your hose will not. My brother in law did not use his filter one time when he pulled in late, had his valve to "fill tank" position (and didn't know it), and put a bunch of silt in it. He never forgets to put a filter on now and double checks his valve positions prior to pressurizing.

I've never had an issue, but I'm prepared in case there is. No different than the different surge protectors...haven't had an issue yet, but am prepared just in case.

Glad you solved the pressure issue!

Al
Old 09-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ya, we usually drink bottled water. We'll use cg water for cooking and coffee....
Old 09-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

This summer I was disappointed in the water pressure with my 40 PSI adjustable regulator at all the RV parks we stayed at. It is enough, but could be better! As the summer went on, I learned we had better pressure with the 12 volt pump. Finally, the one brain cell started working. I checked the PSI of the pump. It is 55 PSI. I adjusted the regulator to 55 PSI and all is good. I always thought 40 PSI was the max, until I researched the 12 volt pump specs.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I always thought 40psi too. But 60psi is no problem. Who knew! Lol
Old 09-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

newer RVs can likely safely handle 100-psi. but we keep our Watts regulator set to 60-psi.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

In both of our RVs I installed a residential Watts pressure regulator plus a whole house water filter system. These are installed so no forgetting to hook it up. We have have great pressure if there's enough pressure in the CG. Our hoses are drinking water quality rated at 300 PSI. No issues.

We've used water at every park we've stayed at. Only one at Big Bend, TX had foul water with high level of minerals. I think it would have formed stone once dried out. If I can be selective I only fill our tank with decent tasting water. That also gets filtered when filling the tank.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

A filter will reduce the water volume output. The more the filter “filters out” the more the throughput volume decreases. This is also true of an old filter that has a lot of sentiment in the device. You can, and should, have a water regulator at the hose bib, to regulate the amount of pressure going into your rig. My Winnebago recommends no more than 50 psi. You can also test the pressure in your rig with a pressure testing device, or even at the other end of your filter to see of that’s the culprit.
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

There are many different types of filters so it depends on whether you get just an activated carbon taste filter or a filter designed to deal with cysts and bacteria as to whether the filter will deal with that.

For years Winnebago put an EverPure filter on the kitchen sink which was designed to handle SuperChlorinization of the fresh water tank and would remove the extra chlorine making the water safe to drink after it passed though the filter using the filtered water tap mounted on the sink.

See: https://www.pentair.com/en/products/...iltration.html
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I replaced our under the counter carbon filter with a paper filter and it cut the water pressure in half. Upon examination of the filter, to outlet hole is about a quarter of an inch. The new water filter does cut down on water usage so not a bad deal for boon docking.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, water