Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Should I worry about this?

I bought this '93 Winnie 22' Warrior a few weeks ago and noticed this:

The guy who sold me the motorhome assures me it's nothing to worry about but what do you folks think?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Ya-time to reseal it and make sure the clamp bolts are tight.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Ya-time to reseal it and make sure the clamp bolts are tight.
Where are these clamp bolts located?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

On the under side of Ac inside the Rv there be 4 with a thick foam gasket it's not hard
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You will need to take off the plastic trim from the ceiling controls to see them
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I guess it's time for some wrenches. I assume its OK to crawl about on the roof. Is there any recommended sealant for the aluminum roof?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

No, no, no- you do NOT use a sealant or a caulk on the roof for your air conditioner. IF its leaking- is it?

The AC is sealed with a thick foam gasket (between the AC and the roof), which is compressed to about 1/2 its thickness by long bolts (3 or 4) which are accessible from the inside of the RV. Over time, these gaskets can stiffen up and lose the ability to spring back. You can remove the plastic cowling from the ceiling, and look for the bolts. You will see a 14" square hole going up to the roof- look for the bolts here.

If you have leaks here, you can tighten those bolts (all evenly) several turns. You do not want to compress the gasket completely or you will remove its sealing ability.

If necessary, you can replace the gasket. Not complicated to do, but you need to be comfortatable working on the roof and have some upper body strength- the AC's are HEAVY.

If there is old caulk around the base of the AC, it may indicate that a previous owner had leaks here and didn't know the correct procedure to address them. There is NO reason to caulk any air conditioner.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Here is a picture tighting one of the four bolts clamping in the A/C. There in the cornners and are long, they go through the roof hole into the A/C from the ceiling plate. Just remove the shroud to get at them.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3650.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	21235  
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I do have a small leak. We had very heavy down pours here for a few days and there was a small wet spot on the carpet inside under the A/C. It does look like some caulk was used underneath. I see gaskets are readily available but I am clueless as to what the two "foam leveling pads" are for.

As for raising it up, can't it be lifted up from inside with a floor jack and some 2X4s strategically placed? I'm thinking it might be possible to lift it enough to slip the foam gaskets over it without actually hauling the entire thing out of it's hole.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

It's not that hard to replace the gasket. I did it when I was 63 by myself.

Nowadays at 71 after back surgery, replacement of hip joint and a screwed up shoulder muscle I might ask for a little help though.

As I recall instructions on how much to tighten the four bolts are in the manual and I believe came with the replacement gasket.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

From the looks of the A/C I fear that the luaun plywood backing the roof and ceiling may have gotten wet and failed. If so your repair will be much more complicated. If I were you I would take the unit to an RV repair facility and get their opinion.

I hope it all works out for you.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

grafxman,
Your making this job too hard. Take the advice of the folks here who've done this. It's an incredibly simple job. That A/C unit, basically sits on the roof, on top of that thick foam gasket. You CANNOT replace it from underneath. That's impossible.

Walking around on that roof is no big deal. Thousands of guys do it daily. That foam gasket is a large square with a large hole in it to let the A/C cold air pass through it. Do yourself a favor and don't get all "MacGyver" at this job by trying to do it all from the inside of the coach.

All that needs to be done is:
1. Purchase a new foam gasket
2. Remove the ceiling fascia for the A/C unit
3. You'll see the nuts for the four bolts these gents have been talking about
4. Remove all four nuts.
5. Un plug the wiring plug for the power to the A/C unit

You are now done on the inside of the coach. GO TO THE ROOF!
1. Bring the gasket, and a Phillips screw driver or, 7/16" socket, the cover to the A/C unit are held on with at those types of fasteners.
2. Remove the cover.
3. Now, be careful, it's a bit heavy. Maybe it's advisable to have two guys to do this job but, it's actually quite easily done by yourself
4. Very carefully lift off the A/C unit and set it off to the side, don't poke holes in your roof by letting that A/C unit down hard.
5. Clean off the old gasket and any residue for a clean, nice surface
6. install new gasket, making sure everything that needs to be aligned, is.
7. Very carefully, pick up the A/C unit and aligning the holes in the foam gasket with the four studs, slowly lower it onto the new foam gasket.
8. You can, at this point, re-install the A/C cover but, I'd wait 'till the job's completely done and the A/C is running with no issues. When you're completely sure all is well, then climb on that roof again and secure the cover to the A/C unit
9. Go inside, and install the four nuts onto the studs
10. Connect the main power plug.
11. Re-install the fascia to the A/C unit.
12. Make sure you're on shore power or, generator power is being supplied and turn the unit on to make sure all is well.

Done!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks a bunch Scott. That's the info I needed. FWIW, I wasn't thinking about doing everything from the inside. Since that thing is apparently so heavy I was considering using a floor jack to lift it up from the inside. I always try to use machines in lieu of muscles where possible.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #14

Its not THAT heavy

And, for what its worth, you will most likely have 4 8-10" bolts, not nuts..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Its not THAT heavy

And, for what its worth, you will most likely have 4 8-10" bolts, not nuts..
Midniteoyl,
It's been a while since I did what he's thinking of doing. You could be right on the "bolts vs nuts" thing. He'll figure it out as soon as he removes the plastic facia from the ceiling. Thanks for the correction.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Midniteoyl,
It's been a while since I did what he's thinking of doing. You could be right on the "bolts vs nuts" thing. He'll figure it out as soon as he removes the plastic facia from the ceiling. Thanks for the correction.
Scott
Sorry, wasnt trying to correct.. its just that he has what looks to be a Coleman Mark III and they have bolts... Others very well could have nuts..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

When I have re-gasketed the A/C, I put some ply wood on the roof and simply lift the A/C up and roll it to one edge. With the bottom now vertival, you can remove the gasket and clean the area. Use the adhesive on the new gasket and stick it to the bottom of the A/C unit and also replace the foam support pads. Tilt back down in to place. Now go inside and center the gasket over the 14 x 14 hole and install the bolts. Some of the newer gaskets have an indicator to show when the gasket is compressed. Other wise measure the uncompressed gasket depth and compress it ti 1/2 of the original height.

Ken
Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Hi. The job's not hard, but for one man the unit is heavy enough to make careful, accurate placement almost impossible for one person. The hole on which the gasket fits is much smaller than the unit its self. There be only three bolts. Our old Winne had four, but our newer rig has three. The unit is made mostly of sheet metal, so lifting from the inside may not be to good of an idea. Tighten all bolts evenly, a little at a time. The gasket offers VERY little resistance, so don't go until it feels "tight".

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #19

With all the info; (which is on target) If it is leaking. DO it Now . do not wait. as it may leak water between the roof. then you will start the delamination. process and you do not want that.... Get the foam gasket. NO sealer. A friend put some kind of sealer on it ; that thing was so loud he had to take it all back our again. Seems the silicone transmitted all the airconditioner noise into the coach;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

According to Camping World, a Coleman Mach III weighs 117 lbs. Might want a helper up there with you unless you try TXiceman's method of just tilting it up on edge.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote