Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Shore Power not recharging batteries

24V Navion 2022, all of a sudden when plugging into shore power I hear a click from what I believe is the Automatic Transfer Switch (sounds like a breaker tripped). I just installed a battery monitor and see that the batteries are not getting charged from using shore power or the generator. But when the chassis is turned on the batteries are getting charged. I've also noticed if parked for a long stay (about 2+ days) I can't raise the leveling jacks due to lack of voltage. Solar charge doesn't show any charge to the batteries as well.

Could the Automatic Transfer Switch be bad or failing? Or why does it sound like it's tripping? Could the control panel for the batteries be bad or failing?

Any help would be greatly helped as a two week trip is starting in 5 days.
papajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No time to look deep right nowbut when RV engine is running there is a solenoid that connects the start/ chassis and coach batteries together to explain that part as normal. To best move the jacks,start the engine first toget the RV alternator online and that will likely give enough power to move the jacks, even if the coach batteries are down.

One quick thing to check is whether the coach battery disconnect relay is actually connecting when the switch is thrown. It requires coach battery to move as it is a magnet(latching relay) which will stay where last moved if not enough power in the coach batteries. Try starting engine then work the disconnect switch again to see if it changes getting power from the converter to the coach batteries.

Any switches on the converter that might be off or GFCI tripped on it?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Got more time this morning, so a bit more info?

I might assume the transfer switch to be okay but do check.
This is the drawing of your 110AC feed to show how it fits together.

Click this snip to get a better view.
Click image for larger version

Name:	110ac.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	184050

Your power comes from the cord OR the generator to the transfer switch. That switch decides which is active and passes it on to the main 30 amp breaker at the load center.

Name:	ats.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	184052

That main breaker then feeds the power to all the smaller sub-breakers and an easy one to check to make sure it is getting there and past, is the microwave as it often has lights we can look at real easy.
If the microwave has lights, then we can know the cord or generator,transfer switch and breakers are all ok!

But the battery charging is a different issue. On the newer RV, we do not get the really deep wiring info, so some guessing is needed!

It shows you have an inverter and that usually only uses battery to make 110AC. But we know there has to be a charger of some sort and they may be cutting corners on what the inverter does. It may actually be an inverter/charger as a multi-function unit!
If you have a set of manuals with the RV, it may have a small book that would tell more about that item.

So I would suggest flipping the breaker for the inverter (maybe charger?) off and on to see if it helps. Sometimes the breaker flips but doesn't look tripped, so try making sure it is on?

Whoops! Found something!

Name:	charger.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	184053

Nothing found on how it is wired in but this says it does also do the charging, so it needs checked to make sure it is on, plugged in if a cord on it and no GFCI or breaker on that unit, etc.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You need to have the round dial by the door on if you want to charge your batteries from shore or generator. Solar and engine charge with it off only. Is it on?
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, power, shore power