Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sharp Convection Microwave Oven

Has anyone actually replaced their Sharp Convection Microwave Oven with another brand/model? If so, what did you replace it with? Mine has totally died and I'd like to replace it with something other than another Sharp, but I'll have to pay someone to replace it for me.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

i have seen them replaced with other brands....visit owes or home depot or appliance store and find what you like
measure yours and find one that fits...ours now is HUGE so i would think its close to a normal sized convection oven
Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

bjyoung29,
If your problem with your Sharpe microwave convection oven is that the power turns off after 59sec, you may want to consider repair. These ovens are notorious for burning out the damper motor (a $35 cost for a new motor). Many of us who have had this problem have elected to remove the oven and replace the motor ourselves.
hope this helps
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34h
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

IMO this unit is so nice we're thinking about buying another to replace the still perfect 1983 Sharp MW bought new when the house was built. I'd fix it or just replace with another.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
bjyoung29,
If your problem with your Sharpe microwave convection oven is that the power turns off after 59sec, you may want to consider repair. These ovens are notorious for burning out the damper motor (a $35 cost for a new motor). Many of us who have had this problem have elected to remove the oven and replace the motor ourselves.
hope this helps
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34h
What is the damper motor, is that the hum i hear when i first plug in after the surge protector kicks on.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
bjyoung29,
No, I've already been through the 59 sec problem and I almost wish I had that problem right now -- at least I could just keep hitting the start button! Had to replace the damper motor on this oven about six months ago. Now I've got no power at all on the microwave, nothing happens when you press the buttons, etc. I know the ouylry is good because my hair dryer works when I plug it into the outlet. I don't believe Sharp is making this unit anymore and because so many people have had problems with the damper motor and the circuit board, I just thought it would be a good idea to replace the entire microwave with something better.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Byjoung29,
Sears Kenmore Elite series convection/microwave
Was used to replace Sharp in this link:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/sharp-microwave-oven-making-funny-noise-53687.html

billyb,
damper motor is very well explained in this link:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/sharp-microwave-oven-r-1874-circa-2004-removal-63669.html

hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Bonnie, did it stop all at once? Do you have any lights on it? Mine blew out
a fuse, it was a high temp fuse, replaced it nd all is good again.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Had my old Sharp replaced with the R1880LST under extended warranty; works great!!!
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sharp microwave/convection oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
Had my old Sharp replaced with the R1880LST under extended warranty; works great!!!
Well, my extended warranty folks (GS) said I needed to have a Sharp repair person come out and determine whether replacing a part would cure my problem before they will pay to replace the microwave. That will be more of a problem for me than just buying a new microwave and having a friend replace it for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

A non-convection, but Sharp question....

My Mom's new to her '01 Adventurer has a Sharp standard microwave. It looks and acts like it works, but no microwave action, it doesn't warm anything. I googled her model, but haven't found any info. Anyone had that issue? And was it fixable?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

MY SHARP CONVECTION/MICROWAVE KEPT BLOWING FUSES. I REPLACED THE HIGH VOLTAGE DIODE AND THE HIGH VOLTAGE CAPAITOR. WORKED FINE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS ON THE WORK BENCH. REINSTALLED IT AND EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE AND I WAS HAPPY THEN IT BLEW THE FUSE AGAIN. AFTER 3 TIME IN AND OUT I FOUND THIS PLACE. MY UNIT WAS 9 YRS. OLD AND THIS SHARP R-1870 FIT RIGHT IN AND LOOKED THE SAME OTHER THAN A BETTER LAYOUT ON THE KEY PAD. THE CHEAPEST I FOUND BY FAR- Space Saving COMPACT APPLIANCES and more! - Swego.com
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Thanks for that website. I've bit the bullet and ordered one. Hopefully it will arrive in one piece and work for another 4 or 5 years at least.

Next on my list is to buy a couple of HD TVs......