Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ok. I am getting tired of tightning the mounts on the dual window shades. I assume that just about every newer Winnebago coach has these shades. I must admit I liked them when I first purchased the MH but I am getting tired of the shades falling down. I am also concerned that the strings will break SOON and I will either have to restring the shade or rip them out and install mini blinds. Has anyone figured out how to keep the strings tight?

Old 02-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ok. I am getting tired of tightning the mounts on the dual window shades. I assume that just about every newer Winnebago coach has these shades. I must admit I liked them when I first purchased the MH but I am getting tired of the shades falling down. I am also concerned that the strings will break SOON and I will either have to restring the shade or rip them out and install mini blinds. Has anyone figured out how to keep the strings tight?

Old 02-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should still be under warranty. What did your dealer say? Mine are ten years old and work just fine. I did restring one and will have to retighten it once everything settles in but I don't expect it to be very a regular event. You may want to check and make sure that the adjusters are not on backwards. There is a small tab on the side that goes against the wall that keeps it from spinning once you tighten the screw. If they are on backwards then the smooth side will be against the wall and may allow the adjuster to unwind when under tension.

Those day/night shades are very expensive and after this short a period of time, we are talking about a year or less correct, you should not be the one to pay for their replacement.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If I remember right, I put a plastic wall anchor in the wall where the round duhickey that the strings are tied to was mounted on one of mine. Its stayed real tight for over a year. Out to the MH the other day and the others are sagging, I guess I'll give em the same treatment. I'd go out & check, but its turned cold for a change, the end of December & all of January was the warmest I've ever experienced here.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

BigRedLancer - Same problem here with my 2004 Meridian, just the raveling or fraying cords. If the knob that the cords wind around down at the bottom are on correct, as was stated above, the little tips (I think about 4 or 5) will keep the cords from unwinding or getting loose. I actually loosened my when it was new just to help keep them from fraying more (and they will). I have 3 of the blinds replaced by Winnebago after about 12 or 14 months because they had frayed so bad. The holes in the middle rail where the cords go thru are so burred its like dragging the cords over a sharp knife every time the shade is raised or lowered. I took the new ones apart and ground off the burrs before installing them. Then I took down the rest in the coach and de-burred them before they did anymore damage. The shades are one of the sorriest excuse for a product I've every seen in an expensive coach. When I called the factory about them I was told to go to a dealer and have them restrung but after I told them I was over 150 miles from any dealer and one of them I did call said he only had white or blue cords - mine are a sort of beige. Complain loudly while they are still under warranty as was stated above. Lots of luck.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Deburred mine and restrung with 90# test fishing line....works great and smooth...RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There is some very good information on this issue in the "System Forum" of IRV2.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1356094452/m/3381062891
Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just add one turn around the platic wall mount. this will keep them from falling.

2004 Adventurer 35U
Dick & Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
ymi
Winnebago Camper

Help - how does one get the shades free of the enclosure?? Mine are enclosed at the top in a fabric box and ther is a fabric covered rail down the side. I really don't want to break anything getting to the shades so that I can restring them.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Don't know if yours are the same as my 2004 Meridian, but if so. There is a screw about 3-5 inches from each end of the shade going straight up into the wood frame. When these are loose the ends will wiggle but then you have to reach up between the shade and the window at about the middle of the shade to release a plastic clip, its a little hard to get your thumb or finger on it but once you find it then its fairly clear how it works. The first one if always the hardest. Good luck.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Take a look at www.fixmyblinds.com. This company provides re-stringing materials and diagrams for RVs. We have re-strung three blinds in out 2003 Adventurer. Part of the problem seems to be burrs where holes were punched thru the horizontal members. These burrs rapidly fray the string.
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote