Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

serpentine belt

has anyone got a good tip on replacing a serpentine bely in an 2001 Itasca motorhome with v10
econstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Take about 10 pictures on your digital camera. One picture at every pulley. It will help you go back in the right direction. There should be a diagram under the hood.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Not sure what a Bely is, but as for the belt. The V10 ford platform is a little bit of a pain to change the belt on. My advice would be to have two people. one on top, and one down below. The tensioner is more easily reached from under, while the alternator pulley is way up top. Remove the engine cover, and start giving orders. Be sure to cover your carpet with something to keep the foot prints and other prints from finding their way there.
K.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
Not sure what a Bely is, but as for the belt. The V10 ford platform is a little bit of a pain to change the belt on. My advice would be to have two people. one on top, and one down below. The tensioner is more easily reached from under, while the alternator pulley is way up top. Remove the engine cover, and start giving orders. Be sure to cover your carpet with something to keep the foot prints and other prints from finding their way there.
K.
Tks for the reply,I ended up doing just what u suggested one on top and one on bottom,took a bit of time but we finally got it on.
econstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What if you don't have any friends to help?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
What if you don't have any friends to help?

Who said they had to be friends?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I'll grab the next homeless guy pushing a cart of nothing down the street. I don't have any wine to offer, but I could give him a cold can of Coor's. Of course, I'd probably have to put up with the stench.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

...and then you would have a new friend. ; )
K.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I changed the serpentine belt on my 2001 V-10 without help, and personally thought it was fairly easy. Really, I couldn't believe the dealers charge what they charge for the level of skill needed, and recall that the whole job took about 20 minutes +/-.

I changed mine almost entirely from the top. Once you get the old belt off, I fed the new belt over the fan and started guiding it around each pulley. I used the diagram in the owners manual as a guide. You might need to slide underneath the coach to align the belt grooves properly on the fan pulley, then back on top. My biggest problem was getting enough torque on the idler pulley to release the belt and tighten the new belt. Fortunately I had a 3/4" drive breaker bar, which made it much easier.

Give it a try, it's not rocket science.
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thx Mike. I haven't even looked at how mine comes off/on. I did buy a spare. Not sure if I remember where I put it though. The guy at O'Reilly's kinda cross referenced the numbers from the one that is on my F53 V-10. Hope it fits if I ever need it. The one on my Dodge V8 is over 18 years old and has 130K on it and is the original one.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

One thing that may make the job easier is to remove the grill. On our 01 Adventurer there are 2 latches (one on each end of the grill in about the middle from top to bottom). that hold the entire grill system in place. You have to disconnect the plugs from the headlights, flip the handles on the latches up, then turn them about 180*

It makes getting to anything on the front of the engine a lot easier.