Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Seeking advice on re-sealing fiberglass roof to wall panels

Hello,

I am looking for input/experiences/advice from those of you who have done or had someone else complete a similar repair. From searching around, it seems this is a common issue with fiberglass roofs, Winnies in particular.

I had the edge of the fiberglass roof on my Winnie Journey LD pull away from the channel for about 22' from front to rear in a windstorm some time back. In the process I lost my radius pieces as well. I have been using the rig with some super strong duct tape holding it all together (leak free too ).

I now have the new radius foam pieces and am ready to tear off the miles of duct tape holding the fiberglass down. My plan is to obviously re-install the radius pieces and then re-insert the roof behind the channel and seal the roof to the channel. I did note that some of the screws near the front of the channel seemed a bit loose. I did not have any leaks prior and had it well sealed but I had not checked the screws for tightness as I simply never thought about it.

If the screws can be tightened, I will back them out, apply thread locker as I believe they screw into the aluminum framework (correct?) If they are too loose, I will go to a slightly larger/longer screw, again with thread locker.

I plan to use 3M 560 to fill the seam between the rail and the fiberglass. It is a polyurethane adhesive used in place of mechanical fastening methods and where flexibility is necessary. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066976/
It is apparently permanently flexible which will allow the roof to be able to "float" somewhat to allow for chassis racking and temperature expansion/contraction of the fiberglass sheet. It also has "good UV resistance".

I then plan to cover the seam with eternabond tape as an added precaution. Hopefully this will restore my weather tight seam and prevent this from happening again.
I also plan to remove the existing sealant on the other, undamaged side of the roof and do the same thing using the 3M and Eternabond tape.

I would be grateful for any tips/advice anyone has to offer. Thanks!
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Don't reinvent the wheel. Here's all the info you need including what sealant to use and how to apply it:

Tags
advice, panel, roof, seal