Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We are noticing little scratches and sticky black marks here and there along the outside of Winnie. Mostly along the flat strip that is just on top of the storage compartment doors under the awning. I'm not sure what they are but it is bugging me. I know it's not going to stay perfect looking, but we try really hard to be careful about opening doors and such. Would I notice these same things on everyone's motorhomes if I looked closely ?? Is is just normal road wear and tear ??</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We are noticing little scratches and sticky black marks here and there along the outside of Winnie. Mostly along the flat strip that is just on top of the storage compartment doors under the awning. I'm not sure what they are but it is bugging me. I know it's not going to stay perfect looking, but we try really hard to be careful about opening doors and such. Would I notice these same things on everyone's motorhomes if I looked closely ?? Is is just normal road wear and tear ??</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Probably...and it is frustrating. Just enjoy the unit.

Rose
Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Try posting a few closeup photos. Over the past few years Winnebago has had a few paint problems. Maybe someone will have a similiar issue.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We are noticing little scratches and sticky black marks here and there along the outside of Winnie. Mostly along the flat strip that is just on top of the storage compartment doors under the awning. I'm not sure what they are but it is bugging me. I know it's not going to stay perfect looking, but we try really hard to be careful about opening doors and such. Would I notice these same things on everyone's motorhomes if I looked closely ?? Is is just normal road wear and tear ??</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can tell you that I try to be pretty careful with mine but washed it over the weekend and was surprised at the light scratches due to brush and tree limbs.

Sometimes the tree branches are too hard to avoid, like driving in the right-hand lane around town and the limbs aren't trimmed back. You know what's going to happen but can't move to the left due to other traffic... SMACK! (Fill in the appropriate bad word.) I then try to remember it for next time but usually don't... the ones I really hate are the limbs that hit the front roof cap. And how about the sound of a tree limb or brush going down the side of the MH just before your favorite RV site?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had a few, mostly the one that bothered me was from leaving the outside stereo door open and the compartment by by the door being opened below. After I waxed the rig though it wasn't as noticeable. Though my arm still feels the pain lol.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ouch !! I am like you and want to keep it lookin' clean and shiny. I try to keep a good coat of wax all over and that tends to protect the finish some. If I get those "tree marks" I try to clean them carefully and then wax over the area -- will usually get rid of the most of the rub marks -- the wax coating helps.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are noticing little scratches.....(snip) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they are not from trees, I suggest you take rig to dealer or Forest City to DOCUMENT the problem, before one yr warranty expires.

I ignored my problem because there were only a few "scratches". Mine are actually cracks in the gelcoat, and grow at an alarming rate. Caused by a bad gelcoat lay-up (IMHO). Cracks continue to grow. However, there's not one crack on any painted surface, or on the front and rear caps. But now all my sidewalls need to be painted. Obviously way out of warranty.

Get to a dealer to protect yourself. Document!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have some scratches that sound like what you have. Only mine are higher up. I have to take a better look at it next week when I take MH out. I'm pretty sure mine are from branches. The wierd thing is some are black streaks and look like rubber skids. I'll post what I find out.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote