Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Schwintek Slide Poll

Has anyone NOT had a problem with a Schwintek slide in their MH?
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Jim,
I was wondering how you are making out with your slide creep issue. Did the slide bars solve the issue. Haven't heard how FrontrangeRver is making out with Forza with slide issues, he has been very quiet.
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSUNRISE View Post
Jim,
I was wondering how you are making out with your slide creep issue. Did the slide bars solve the issue. Haven't heard how FrontrangeRver is making out with Forza with slide issues, he has been very quiet.
Since I have installed them I have not gone more than 10 miles so really can't tell at this point. I am going to the Dealer in a few weeks for some other warranty work before we head south so will have a good idea on how they are working. I have already made an appointment with WGO in Forest City this July before the GNR...by then we should know where we stand with any slide issues.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our last RV had a full wall slide with the schwintek system and we had lots of problems.

Our current rv has the schwintek on the small bedroom slide and we have had zero problems with this one.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Perhaps I missed something, but what is a "schwintek" slide system?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Schwintek slide out are a set of parallel rack driven by a set of gears and a small motor on each end. The motor is similar to what you would find in a small cordless drill with a gearbox on it the direct drives the shaft and gears on each end. it has a hall effect sender that counts motor rotations. The gear design provides engine braking however there is always some creep do to the gear box so setup is important. A loose setup will have much more creep than a tight setup due to increased gear lash. Ideally you want the room to crush the seal and then relax so it remains sealed. If the room is not correct or the install is not correct you will have issues. with the room fully out measure from the face of the rack gear (mounted on the slide out wall) to the outer edge of the flange on the RV this cannot exceed 2 5/8in or you will have too much lash and the gears will not hold and can begin to jump timing. Less the 2 3/8 will be too tight and cause it to drag and bind 2 1/2 in is correct. Measure this on each point 3 time once with room fully out once at mid point in and last with room out a couple inches so you can get the tape in to measure it. Any changes in measurement between the 3 is due to the room not being square. Other than electronic problems I have yet to see a major issue with a correctly installed room.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
The gear design provides engine braking however there is always some creep do to the gear box so setup is important. A loose setup will have much more creep than a tight setup due to increased gear lash. Ideally you want
Lippert/Schwintek tech support told me the exact opposite...I was told if the slide is too tight there will be creep...WGO in house Lippert guy stated if the slide is installed correctly there could be some creep...Ha! I guess we are the fools!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Great question, but is there a better place for this poll since the Schwintek system is used by many manufacturers?
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Great question, but is there a better place for this poll since the Schwintek system is used by many manufacturers?
Need a new sub-forum under "RV Systems and Tech"...maybe called "Defective Components/Systems"
Old 10-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Schwintek slide out are a set of parallel rack driven by a set of gears and a small motor on each end. The motor is similar to what you would find in a small cordless drill with a gearbox on it the direct drives the shaft and gears on each end. it has a hall effect sender that counts motor rotations. The gear design provides engine braking however there is always some creep do to the gear box so setup is important. A loose setup will have much more creep than a tight setup due to increased gear lash. Ideally you want the room to crush the seal and then relax so it remains sealed. If the room is not correct or the install is not correct you will have issues. with the room fully out measure from the face of the rack gear (mounted on the slide out wall) to the outer edge of the flange on the RV this cannot exceed 2 5/8in or you will have too much lash and the gears will not hold and can begin to jump timing. Less the 2 3/8 will be too tight and cause it to drag and bind 2 1/2 in is correct. Measure this on each point 3 time once with room fully out once at mid point in and last with room out a couple inches so you can get the tape in to measure it. Any changes in measurement between the 3 is due to the room not being square. Other than electronic problems I have yet to see a major issue with a correctly installed room.
I don't understand why the distance is really so critical (within reason). The gear is housed within the bearing block which floats on the gibbs - which are mounted to the column. This allows the bearing block to move fore and aft, allowing the gear to maintain proper contact with the side rail, which compensates for any distances greater that the 2.5" specification (within reason). The v-roller and the shoe hold the gear in place against the side rail. As long as the gear is free to move fore and aft with the slide, it should always maintain contact with the side rail. If however the gear is not free to move, perhaps due to the bearing block binding as a result of dirt, or lack of lubrication, then perhaps this is what causes the problems. Just my thoughts... Regards...
Old 10-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Need a new sub-forum under "RV Systems and Tech"...maybe called "Defective Components/Systems"
Or perhaps in the Motorhome Discussion section in either Class A Discussion or MH-General Discussion and Problems?
Old 10-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have not had any issues with our slides (yet!).
hutchg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Ditto on no problems, so far. 2013 Sunstar 35F. 11,500 miles plus 9-1/2 months camped since 1/2013.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I wonder if an incorrectly installed system can be corrected? Winnebago (Forest City) said mine was out of specs, so they "fixed" it by shimming the rails. Before they did this I only had a noise, after they did it I have an inoperable slide, that from all appearances, is going to be a major repair job.
lestortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Or perhaps in the Motorhome Discussion section in either Class A Discussion or MH-General Discussion and Problems?
Schwintek slides are used on towables too.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

One problem I had was due to bad wiring on installation so I can't blame Schwintek for that. BUT my big slide likes to grab the lower wiper seal and pull it into the gear system. So far I have been lucky and was able to cut it and pull out the wiper without any damage to the slide mechanism.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Site Team

No problem with ours after 2 1/2 years! (Knock on wood)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Schwintek slides are used on towables too.
Good point!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Mine was supposedly installed wrong. Fix (hopefully) was to install all new rails and motors. WBGO claims that the hole is square and cut out via computerized cutters. Saw the video too. Anyway, they had a three-way collaboration between the dealer tech, WBGO tech and Lippert tech. Hope they got it right finally. WBGO used Power Gear for the slide holding up the residential fridge. It was installed wrong too. I retired from the aerospace industry. My company would have replaced the head of QA over something this widespread. Maybe WBGO has.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

As best I can tell, WBGO has Vice residents for lots of stuff, but not for Quality. I've tried to find the VP-Quality's name on the WBGO investors website, but so far haven't been able to.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide