Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Scale weight plus 800lbs rr

First time scale 2005 vectra. Found right rear to be +800 lbs. Need help on what to look for.
2005VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Find 400 lbs of stuff and move it to the left side . . .

Seriously, one thing to consider is getting the ride height checked. Most, not all, motorhomes have left and right control valves on the rear. If the left was higher than the right, that would shift some weight to the right. I don't know about 800 lbs, but it would shift some weight.

Hope this helps
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might want to provide a little more info for us:

1. Where you fully loaded with water, LP & Fuel?
2. Anything in the Black and/or Grey tanks?
3. Are you loaded for travel?
4. What are your slide locations? (More/bigger slides on one side will affect balance.)
5. How "good" are the scales you used? (CAT, Grain elevator... I like CAT scales. Generally costs about $9-$10 for 2 passes to get 4 corners.)
6. What are your GVWR and total weight?
7. What are your Front GAWR, left and right side weights?
8. What are your Rear GAWR, left and right side weights?

Personally, I started from scratch.
First weighing was with only me in the rig and full fuel & LP.
Second weighing I added full water. (I did this the same day.)
Third weighing was a few weeks after purchase and my first shot at loading for use and setting tire pressures. It included Co-pilot, 2 100# dogs, 2 dog crates, loaded basement, food and stores for a long weekend, clothes, tools and such.)

OK...I am extremely anal retentive. It's a curse. That being said...

I discovered a few oddities in the process. As an example, I returned from a trip with full fresh water and 1/3-1/2 full dump tanks. When I did that I maxed my rear axle exactly at 15,500. PANIC! Dumped the waste tanks got back 380 lbs but what was odd was that it shifted weight onto the front axle. (those tanks must be behind rear axle.) It also corrected is large L/R rear imbalance.

So, yes...I have spent about $60 in 4 months on weighing. It has been worth it for me because we aren't even set up for full time yet and that is where we expect to be in a couple years. You better believe I will have the next rig we are looking at (Don't care if it is used or new) weighed before we buy. Having only another 380# available on the rear axle will not work for us when that time comes. Tis a shame because we really like what we have too. We just want to carry more than we currently are while we are part timing it.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Seriously. The tanks are usually full width or close to it, so that' kind of balances out. I know on my coach it APPEARS the fresh is on the right and the black on the left but both sets of tanks extend across the frame rails to the other side (not quite all the way).

And as someone said, Move 400 pounds to the other side.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Seriously. The tanks are usually full width or close to it, so that' kind of balances out. I know on my coach it APPEARS the fresh is on the right and the black on the left but both sets of tanks extend across the frame rails to the other side (not quite all the way).

And as someone said, Move 400 pounds to the other side.
I wasn't sure who you were replying to. LOL

Perhaps I overstated my L/R balance with my dump tanks. I did see what I think was a somewhat large correction between L/R balance when I dumped them. Maybe to the tune of going from a 250# favor of the right side to 100# more on the right side. Nothing like 400# imbalance to start with. I also did see that when I dumped those tanks it took about 380# off the rear axle and added 40-50# to the front axle. Hence my guess that those tanks are aft of the rear axle. From my reading of diagrams, I thinking that the holding tanks didn't extend across the frame as far as the fresh water tank but then again, I may have read them wrong. I think I need to bone up on them more.

I'm certain that my ability to put one set of wheels on the exact center of a CAT scale each time does play a bit of a part so even I don't get too upset if the numbers waiver a bit.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Not unusual to see that much imbalance. Our passenger side front wheel has 600#'s more then the drivers side and the drivers side rear is some 400#'s heavier than the passenger side.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On my Journey I don't remember the specific amount but the passenger rear is significantly heavier than the drivers side rear. Behind the passenger rear wheel are batteries and the basement air. I don't know if they made all the difference but I moved tools to the other side but haven't weighed it again. Well, one of these days I'll do that.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

we had just left from 4 day dry camp. used cat scale & had not dumped yet. had 100 gal of water between 3 tanks. i can not think of what i can move that would be 400lbs. does any one have pictures of tanks in frame locations?
2005VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have to say that I must be an oddball when it comes to motorhome weighing. I read all of the posts on here about weighing the four corners and adjusting the air pressure in the tires to compensate for the various weights...In my 34 years of driving motorhomes (I've owned six of them) I have never been on a weight scale. I just adjust my load accordingly to what I think will equal the load from side to side, keep about 90% of the maximum recommended air pressure in my tires, and drive happily down the road. I guess I'm too laid back to worry too much.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe View Post
I have to say that I must be an oddball when it comes to motorhome weighing. I read all of the posts on here about weighing the four corners and adjusting the air pressure in the tires to compensate for the various weights...In my 34 years of driving motorhomes (I've owned six of them) I have never been on a weight scale. I just adjust my load accordingly to what I think will equal the load from side to side, keep about 90% of the maximum recommended air pressure in my tires, and drive happily down the road. I guess I'm too laid back to worry too much.
I sincerly hope you are NOT running different pressures in tires on the same axle!! You take the HIGHEST weight and run that required pressure across all tires on that axle. That is per every manufacturers specifications.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

No, of course I run the same pressure on the same axle. What I'm saying though, is that if I'm fully loaded, I run about 90-95% of what the manufacturer recommends in the Rear tires and maybe 100% in the front. For normal travel though, without a full load, I might run 85% in the rear and 90% in front. Never had a problem doing it that way and I don't expect any. It's a lot less work than what so many recommend.

Tags
weight