Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Satellite Antenna Installation, Vista 32YE

I would like to do my own satellite dish installation on my Vista 32YE, but I can't find the location on the roof where the coax is supposed to be waiting to hookup. I've read other threads saying there is a decal that shows the location to bore the hole, but my RV doesn't have one. I've looked everywhere. Has anyone else done this installation before in a 32YE?

I'm wondering if the coax is hidden under the King "over the air" antenna that's on the rig. I didn't have the time to take that apart, so I thought I would ask first before I look there. If nobody here has done this I'll call Winnebago for help. I know the coax is somewhere pre-wired because I've seen the cable at the entertainment center above the entry door. The coax goes into the roof styrofoam, toward the King "over the air" antenna.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I can't help with the location. You should ask Winnebago.

What antenna are you installing? Have you read the installation instructions for it? I recall from installing my Travr'ler that there can be restrictions on where you can put it. So where you have to install it may not be close to where the cable surfaces.

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBruce View Post
I can't help with the location. You should ask Winnebago.

What antenna are you installing? Have you read the installation instructions for it? I recall from installing my Travr'ler that there can be restrictions on where you can put it. So where you have to install it may not be close to where the cable surfaces.

Bruce
No, I haven't order the antenna until I get my arms around locating the coax. I'm not attempting anything until I get past 1st base.

The plan is to install the King antenna for DishNetwork, with the special roof mount that allows quick removal to use on the ground when necessary.

I also hope to string two coax cables to the entertainment center, by using the OEM coax as the fish wire, pulling two cables down, and possible also a 3rd cable for an external cellular antenna to amplify the cell signal inside the RV.

I just need to know I can locate the cable. I'm thinking it may take a signal injection to the coax cable end, and a locator on the roof to receive the signal through the fiberglass. I don't have that kind of equipment, but I know it exists.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Any particular reason for two coax cables? Are you planning on using a second receiver?

Does your entertainment center have access to the roof? If so, you may want to consider running the cables through the roof from there. Also, it is likely that the factory installed coax is fastened down which will make it impossible to use as a pull wire.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
......I also hope to string two coax cables to the entertainment center, by using the OEM coax as the fish wire, pulling two cables down.......
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBruce View Post
Any particular reason for two coax cables? Are you planning on using a second receiver?

Does your entertainment center have access to the roof? If so, you may want to consider running the cables through the roof from there. Also, it is likely that the factory installed coax is fastened down which will make it impossible to use as a pull wire.

Bruce
I'm unsure if I'll actually get a second receiver. We'll have to see after I become a half timer with the wife during retirement next year. The antenna I plan to buy supports two cables for two receivers. I have read others in this forum that fished two coax cables to the entertainment center using the OEM cable as the fish wire. So if the OEM cable isn't secured between the entertainment center and the roof exit area, it should be easy enough to do what others have done. This would provide the extra coax ready to use for second receiver, if I needed it. The RV is already pre-wired with two HDMI channels for two receivers (actually labeled DVR and SATELLITE). Since some of the roof kits include hole openings to seal 3 cables coming out of the roof, I would also like to string a cellular coax cable for an RV amplifier, at the same time I'm stringing the other cables, assuming it's possible. It would be really slick if my hopes come true with the ease of stringing coax down to the entertainment center.

I know all about the limitation of second receiver channel selection, hence actually installing a 2nd receiver is TBD. It's a 50-50 chance right now.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I would like to do my own satellite dish installation on my Vista 32YE, but I can't find the location on the roof where the coax is supposed to be waiting to hookup. I've read other threads saying there is a decal that shows the location to bore the hole, but my RV doesn't have one. I've looked everywhere. Has anyone else done this installation before in a 32YE?

I'm wondering if the coax is hidden under the King "over the air" antenna that's on the rig. I didn't have the time to take that apart, so I thought I would ask first before I look there. If nobody here has done this I'll call Winnebago for help. I know the coax is somewhere pre-wired because I've seen the cable at the entertainment center above the entry door. The coax goes into the roof styrofoam, toward the King "over the air" antenna.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
If your main TV is between the driver and passenger seats, remove the center speaker in the ceiling just to the rear of the TV and see if there is satellite TV cable there and/or a space with no white Styrofoam so you have ready access to the roof. If the TV is located else where try removing a ceiling speaker near the TV to see if the access is there.

On my 2006 Sightseer and 2006 Journey the roof access hole is above the speaker just behind the TV in the front.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wiring diagrams

Hi,

Have you looked at the online electrical diagrams on the winnebago site?

Jim
norris4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norris4 View Post
Hi,

Have you looked at the online electrical diagrams on the winnebago site?

Jim
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I've been all through those drawings when I installed my inverter. Nothing in there for coax location. Nicholas at Winnebago sent me some drawings that are supposed to show the location, but I'll need to call him to confirm my interpretation of the drawing. There's not enough info on the drawing to bore a hole in the roof with no doubt.

It appears it is supposed to be located about 1 foot behind the front cap joint, in the center.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I've been all through those drawings when I installed my inverter. Nothing in there for coax location. Nicholas at Winnebago sent me some drawings that are supposed to show the location, but I'll need to call him to confirm my interpretation of the drawing. There's not enough info on the drawing to bore a hole in the roof with no doubt.

It appears it is supposed to be located about 1 foot behind the front cap joint, in the center.
That is what I wrote in reply #6. There should be a speaker in the center of the ceiling just to the rear of the RV. If there is remove it. It will hang by the wires. That should expose a gap in the Styrofoam with a view of a coax and the roof materiel.
There should have been a decal on the roof showing the location of the Sat TV hole location. It was either removed or they forgot to install it.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We installed our traveller on our 2013 27N ourselves. There is a place that the cables come up to the roof, and the decal is not always still visible, ours was barely there. It's not under the other antenna, it seemed to be centered on the RV roof side to side, about three feet from the front. It wasn't insulated where the cable came up, it was just the fiberglass roof, with the opening under it, so a light tapping with a screw driver or something back and forth in the area from about two feet to four feet from the front, and about a foot either side of center should give you a sound difference if you locate it, different than the rest of the roof that is insulated. You can tell a slight difference in sound, but your taps will have to be within a quarter to half inch of each other. Good luck doing it this way. Hubby thought you might be able to push a stiff wire up the channel from the inside and tap it against the roof and listen for it from outside also.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, install, satellite