Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sanitize City Connections? Hike 170

I have a hike 170. We boondocks 99% of the time and every 6.mo we sanitize with bleach the main water tank. We have not sanitized the city connection.

1. Do I need to sanitize the city inlet?
2. If yes, is there a process Winnebago recommends?
Jems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No recommendation from W, but I sanitize the city water connection every time I sanitize my RV plumbing system. I pour the correct amount of bleach into my fill hose after it is connected to the RV. Then attach the hose to the water faucet and fill my fresh water tank.
Then i pump the solution through my water lines, all except the water heater, and allow to sit for 4 hrs.or more.Then flush out the bleach solution, and It's ready to go camping.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No recommendation from W, but I sanitize the city water connection every time I sanitize my RV plumbing system. I pour the correct amount of bleach into my fill hose after it is connected to the RV. Then attach the hose to the water faucet and fill my fresh water tank.
Then i pump the solution through my water lines, all except the water heater, and allow to sit for 4 hrs.or more.Then flush out the bleach solution, and It's ready to go camping.
Thanks Ray--this is what I will do. Out here in Utah we've had some crazy weather. Hoping to get out this weekend which would mean I need to sanitize Tuesday or Wednesday night, but lows will be 18 degrees Thursday AM. I might have a chance if I can fill the tanks Thursday once it gets above 32 and then drain them 12 hours later ,or Friday AM.
Jems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When we look at sanitizing the system it has to be looked at as a "try" to improve our odds of not getting sick. There are too many variables to actually state a specific amount of sanitizing needed! How much stuff has grown in there? Nobody knows!
So when we do add the bleach in the fresh water outlet, we do a certain amount of cleaning on that bit of tubing. The time is very short and not what we would want to call a full blown amount as it does take some time to let the chlorine work it's magic.

But it does "some" and it does help but there is also another way to look at the water inlet.
If we use water supplies that are regulated and treated as most public water is done, we will automatically get some cleaning done! The specs for public water require that there is a "chlorine residual" when the water gets all the way through the pipes and to the tap at the end. Some complain when they smell it, but it just tells me that the sytem is working as it should!

That means that you should always have some chlorine or chloramine in the water you are running through that bit of tubing! So the tube will be sanitized as you use the water, even if you do not go through a "sanitize" process!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote