Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Safe-T-Plus

Has anyone put this on ur motor home and how do you like it? Have you ever had a blow out with one of these on and did it do the job?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	121116  
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our coach came with it installed from previous owner. Didn't think much of it until I had Freightliner adjust it at one of our service trips. Love it now! Coach will track straight with the lightest touch on the wheel.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Made a world of difference on mine, money well spent. Just a warning check it good before installing it I got one with cracked welds, I'm sure it was an isolated thing but cant hurt to check.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/safe-t-plus-176224.html
Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Have it. Like it. My size 278" wheelbase F53 chassis uses the tan one, be sure to use their application guide to get the right model. About 1 hour install time, took me a little longer to DIY install as I did not put the coach up on a lift and was crawling under my chassis with the front on jack stands and rear wheels blocked. It centers the steering tie rod with springs and has shock absorber type cylinders to resist any rapid movement of the steering so truck wind blast has much less impact on the front of the coach. It has enough travel that it does not reduce the turning radius, at least on the Ford F53 chassis application.

It can be found it at a discount off MSRP at some internet suppliers, I got mine at PPL and self installed.

I have not had a blowout. There are some real cool videos on line linked from the Safe-T-Steer web site where Safe-T-Steer intentionally blows out front tires of various types of vehicles with real drivers behind the wheel and the results can be viewed and the drivers describe their experience.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have one

I added one to my 2015 Thor Axis 24.1. I was having steering issues and the Safe-T-Plus solved the problem and gave the added security in case of a possible blow out.

I am very happy with my purchase.

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had one on my last coach and it was the first thing I did when I bought my current one. Wouldn't be without it. I had a right front blowout on my previous coach, an Adventurer. I heard the tire blow but didn't feel it. I was able to easily pull into the median to a stop. Blowout was strong enough to blow the "fender" off the motorhome.
If you do a search in the forum you will find others with similar experience.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I am also on my second Safe-T Plus. I had one on my first motorhome and liked it. Finally had one installed on my second motorhome. Have not really had a chance to try it out, but I expect to be just as pleased.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've had the same safe-t-plus since 2000 on two different coachs. I did have a front tire blowout.

Here's the link where we discussed stablizers just 2 days ago...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/shock...er-281779.html
Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I used them on my last three motor homes. Never had a blow out but feel more comfortable having the device. You do need to make sure it is properly aligned or it will be a pain to drive - it not proper it'll want to pull to one side and you have to hold it keep going straight down the highway. When properly aligned it'll go straight down the highway without problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

thanks
Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Our 04 Sightseer and our current 2012 Vista 30T both had them and I never noticed handling problems many complained about. If we ever bought new coach would install one for sure. Have not had a blow out but have been in gusty winds and have been happy with handling. We do tow also.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

how hard are they to install ? i have one but dont have the install info.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Here, I'll googling it for you :
https://www.google.com/search?q=inst...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Why are the darn things so expensive? Anybody have a good source?
Old 03-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

If you feel the need for, Steer Safe, Safety-T-Plus, Blue Ox Tru-Center, Howard Center Power Steering, Comfort Drive, well there all good for what there made for. Some are easy to install, some ain't, and then some you have to go buy the rig that already have it on it. Buy what you can afford. People told me that I was throwing my money away with Steer Safe, I don't feel that way, my correcting was countered, of course I'd rather have a new Newmar in the drive.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I installed one of these in my driveway. I was pretty easy and drama free. I did need to buy a couple of over sized sockets to get the job done though. Be sure to torque it to the specs given.

Back story: This is our first RV. After a few trips from Metro Detroit to Traverse City, I noticed I was getting blown all over the place by wind and big rigs. Had to work constantly to maintain a straight line. Not due to alignment, but the play in the steering.

Ordered the Safe-T-Plus direct from the manufacturer. Made a world of difference. Have since gone from Metro Detroit to PEI and back, to Florida and back and what a difference! Tracks straight. Incredible reduction in getting blown around and much easier to control. I could use a minor adjustment when things warm up, but I do like a little positive feel to the steering rather than just slack.

Good luck, it's an easy job.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

It seems in addition to providing some safety in controlling the coach after a front tire blow out there is also an additional benefit to keeping the steering from being sloppy and overcorrecting. One of the problems many of the coaches have is slop in the steering from the bell crank being worn or out of adjustment. The Super Steer Bellcrank seems a good fix for this. Does installing a Safe T Plus mask this problem or even improve it so you may not need to install a new bell crank? I'm considering the Safe T Plus and was also looking to possibly add the Super Steer Bellcrank. The slop in my coach steering is minimal but feel there is room for improvement.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Tag. Thanks for the input, folks.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

The Safe-T-Plus does not eliminate the need for a good bellcrank. If the bellcrank is sticking, the Safe-T-Plus won't be as effective , if your steering is sloppy, the extra resistance to turning will magnify the play.
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Do these systems affect regular steering? Make it more difficult?

I'm confused a bit as to how they work to keep the straight on the interstate but not affect just regular steering.

Do they prematurely degrade or overwork the power steering system?
bkervaski is offline   Reply With Quote