Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

I have a Safe T Plus with the optional trim unit made by Hendersons of Grants Pass Oregon. It makes the Safe T Plus adjustable on the fly like a Blue Ox Trucenter, and also removes the need for the alignment procedure. I absolutely love the unit.

Hydraulic Steering Control - SuperSteer Trim Unit for Safe-T-Plus
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I have a Safe T Plus with the optional trim unit made by Hendersons of Grants Pass Oregon. It makes the Safe T Plus adjustable on the fly like a Blue Ox Trucenter, and also removes the need for the alignment procedure. I absolutely love the unit.

Hydraulic Steering Control - SuperSteer Trim Unit for Safe-T-Plus
I'd like to add that to mine but I've put over 100K on this motorhome without the "trim unit". Probably should have bought it years ago but didn't and at this stage of the game probably won't. I do have Safe T Plus on this RV and on the two previous motorhomes. I do recommend having it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Could you tell me what color you have?
judeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #44
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeebs View Post
Could you tell me what color you have?
This might help you...
http://www.safe-t-plus.com/media/stp...ssis_guide.pdf
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Wow and wow look at all these posts. I'm glad to see that we are putting these on. If you have a 34 or a 36 or 38 the blue one is what you need. You also have to order the brackets to install it.
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Well I have a Workhorse W-24 and a installed "Blue" Safety T.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #47
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzatm View Post
Wow and wow look at all these posts. I'm glad to see that we are putting these on. If you have a 34 or a 36 or 38 the blue one is what you need. You also have to order the brackets to install it.

It goes by the chassis.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Well the 34 and 36 and 38R Forza are on a freightliner chassis and they are diesel that take the blue .I do not know nothing adout a road master chassis that is gas I think .
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Big Blue One...

I went to the GNR last year and got interested in the Safe T Plus. When I went to check on getting one, the gal at the counter for Rally's R Us said we should get the blue one. Chip the guy who installs them said the blue one was too big for my coach and we should get the red one. Regardless they were sold out so I waited until I got home to order one. I went to the manufacturer website and ordered the blue one for my 2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G (Ford chassis w/22inch wheels).

After having my mechanic brother install the unit and adjusting it the best we could, it was time to put the coach in storage for the winter. I had to take it up to Winnebago last week for some warranty work. I could not tell any good benefit of putting it on. Winds and semi blow by were the same if not worse. Steering also seems sloppier. I called the manufacturer yesterday and a gal said I might have to send it back infor testing. She has not called me back yet...

Any thoughts?...:
Old 04-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I went to the GNR last year and got interested in the Safe T Plus. When I went to check on getting one, the gal at the counter for Rally's R Us said we should get the blue one. Chip the guy who installs them said the blue one was too big for my coach and we should get the red one. Regardless they were sold out so I waited until I got home to order one. I went to the manufacturer website and ordered the blue one for my 2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G (Ford chassis w/22inch wheels).

After having my mechanic brother install the unit and adjusting it the best we could, it was time to put the coach in storage for the winter. I had to take it up to Winnebago last week for some warranty work. I could not tell any good benefit of putting it on. Winds and semi blow by were the same if not worse. Steering also seems sloppier. I called the manufacturer yesterday and a gal said I might have to send it back infor testing. She has not called me back yet...

Any thoughts?...:
Judeebs, have you weighed your coach when it's loaded and ready for camping, including trailer or toad?

It sounds like it might be too light on the front axle.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

I did have it weighed and be were not overloaded according to the specs.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #52
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I did have it weighed and be were not overloaded according to the specs.
No, I'm not thinking you're overloaded, but underloaded on the front axle. So you need to look at the printout from the scales & get the two axle weights. The front should be around 50% of the rear.

Here's from Henderson's website:
As with other steering/handling problems, some coaches are more susceptible to rut tracking than others—especially those that are too light in the front. Short diesel pushers and coaches with a long rear overhang often exhibit rut tracking; more weight behind the rear axle makes the front end feel light, kind of like driving a truck with a load of gravel in the back. Our rule of thumb is that we want 50% of the weight carried by the rear axle to be over the front axle, except for the Workhorse W Series chassis, which typically wants 55%.

Here's the whole story:
Rut Tracking | Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Duner I had axles weighed at the GNR. No issues and steering and winds/semi issues did not come up until after I put the Safe T Plus on...
Old 05-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Just took our first trip after having a safety plus installed. Wow! What a difference! It was worth every penny. I could feel the wind from trucks passing us but the motorhome went straight as an arrow😀
Kraig K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #55
Winnebago Camper

I am so looking forward to seeing the difference. I have been on the phone with Safe-T-Plus. They have verified I have the correct unit. They are going to have send a different unit and have it put on next Friday. (They are going to cover the cost of installation) I am thrilled I am working with a company with great customer service! I will be taking a weekend trip so I should have a better idea of how the new one will act. Crossing my fingers!
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #56
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
After reading everyone's stories and comments on the safety + I ordered one and got it installed today. Got a 3 week trip planned for next week so I will see if I think it's all hype or if it's as good as what I've been reading about them. Hoping for a better ride with less stress on a 4-6 hour drive and hope it does help with the winds and the passing semi's. Will report back with my personal opinion. So stay tuned.

OK I'm back from my 3 week trip.... logged @2300 miles on this trip my first outing after installing the Saft T Plus on my rig. 8 different stops with an average of 250 +/- miles per trip. Houston to New Orleans to Vicksburg to Memphis to Hot Springs to Branson to OK city then Dallas and home. Some of it was in quiet flat areas, and bumpy nasty roads, some in the Ozark Mountains, Some with wind and rain and part in high traffic and winding roads. Overall a wide variety of driving situations.

Overall the biggest noticeable difference for me was passing and being passed by the big rigs. I virtually did not feel them at all. Was not pushed around by any of them and the section of the trip from Springfield to Tulsa was 70% 18 wheeler's.

Biggest disappointment was driving in the wind. I had it all, head winds, cross winds and winds from the rear at sometime during this trip. Stuff that was 5-10 mph seemed the same to me as before the Sate T Plus very manageable but the 15+ mpg seemed worse, it felt like I was fighting both the wind and wheel. Maybe the gusts were stronger than I realized but I had to fight with the steering wheel more than I wanted to.

The best new was that did not have a blowout so I did not experience that part of the Safe T Plus benefit..... so I will just have to believe in that plus I saw the videos to support those claims.

My overall opinion is mixed I give it an A+ in dealing with big trucks and I think it's worth it just for that but in dealing with winds it did not meet my expectations or match what I have read from others posts. Maybe there is just to much play in my Ford steering?

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote