Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Been using a Safe-T-Plus on my RV for 2 years now. Just added a back axle heavy duty sway bar. Both have REALLY added to stability. These items should be "standard" equipment on our RV's...my opinion.
The Safe-t-Plus slightly "stiffens" the feel of the wheel, there is no restriction on the movement of the front tires while making tight turns, on the road it will reduce the driver fatigue as the wheel movement is greatly reduced, it will assist to hold the RV straightER while driving...but you still have to hold the wheel, passing simi-trucks will not push the RV sideways very hard or as much. IF a front tire blow out were to occur, and I have not experienced this, this will hold the front steering and help keep the RV on the road.
I have had no issues with this add-on...glad it there...not worried about a strain on the power steering system. Better for me to know it there helping the steering. Yes it is expensive...but worth it for safety.
Like I said this should be..along with an anti-sway bar...standard equipment on the big RV's on the road!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteer View Post
The Safe-T-Plus does not eliminate the need for a good bellcrank. If the bellcrank is sticking, the Safe-T-Plus won't be as effective , if your steering is sloppy, the extra resistance to turning will magnify the play.
Straight from the horses mouth.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
how hard are they to install ? i have one but dont have the install info.
They aren't hard to install but do yourself a favor and get a impact driver or you will struggle. I bought a Porter Cable 1/2" impact and it did the job. PB Blaster to help lube a rusty part helps a lot too.
sanford12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Installation of the Safe-T-Plus doesn't require an alignment after putting it on, does it?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Safe T

Nope.....easy, peasy.
mblake101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Dale View Post
Installation of the Safe-T-Plus doesn't require an alignment after putting it on, does it?
No, but will probably need to be adjusted a couple of times to get it really centered. At least I had to make adjustments on mine.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #27
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
No, but will probably need to be adjusted a couple of times to get it really centered. At least I had to make adjustments on mine.

1ciderdog is correct on adjusting the Safety-Plus after install. We had one on our previous mh,(2005 Winnebago Voyage) and the Safety-Plus company replaced ours under warranty even after it was out of warranty when a very few were found to have a minor fluid leak. The old one was returned at no shipping cost to me and the new received at no cost also. I installed the replacement myself and after 2-3 adjustments, it finally was completed. Comes with pretty clear instructions for the diy person.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzatm View Post
Has anyone put this on ur motor home and how do you like it? Have you ever had a blow out with one of these on and did it do the job?
There is nothing wrong with this product as far as I can tell from the forum comments in several threads. I happen to like the Blue Ox TruCenter because it is correctable through a touch of a button mounted on the dash or floor. Your choice. Road and weather conditions change. I can compensate for the current conditions on the fly. This is the only steering assist that I know of that allows this. I could be wrong here because products are changing all the time. I did the install myself with some help from a friend.

I am just trying to give you choices. Information is always helpful.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

This is the second motorhome I have had Safe-T Plus installed on. I really like the product and think it improves the handling. As others have mentioned, it is pretty expensive; however, look for the sales and $49 installs from Camping World.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Just got this email ad today from AdventureRV.net.
The big blue one (for Workhorse) for $494.88 plus the bracket for $66.
I've bought several items from this supplier. Their sales prices are hard to beat.
Safe T Plus Steering Control Model 41-230 - $494.88
Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #31
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
There is nothing wrong with this product as far as I can tell from the forum comments in several threads. I happen to like the Blue Ox TruCenter because it is correctable through a touch of a button mounted on the dash or floor. Your choice. Road and weather conditions change. I can compensate for the current conditions on the fly. This is the only steering assist that I know of that allows this. I could be wrong here because products are changing all the time. I did the install myself with some help from a friend.

I am just trying to give you choices. Information is always helpful.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Good point concerning on-the-fly adjustment. Our previous coach had the Safety Plus which I really liked, however, I might consider trying the Blue Ox system. Do you recall what the ball park cost was for your setup, I'm assuming it was added after your coach purchase, and where you bought it?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Just got this email ad today from AdventureRV.net.
The big blue one (for Workhorse) for $494.88 plus the bracket for $66.
I've bought several items from this supplier. Their sales prices are hard to beat.
Safe T Plus Steering Control Model 41-230 - $494.88
Amazon has it for $471.40...
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

I've had a blue Safe-T-Plus installed on our Winnebago for a while now. When we bought our 2004 in 2013 it had right at 30K miles on it. The difference between with and without in regards to big truck blow-by and negotiating crosswinds with a grin was, is, remarkable and dramatic. It's something you can't help but notice and appreciate. Once experienced, I have no doubt that it was money very well spent, and will not hesitate in spending it again if we should ever get a new RV.

My wife is a small woman & for whatever reason she loves to drive this big class A RV and I gotta tell ya, folks, prior to the Safe-T-Plus that was one of those 'white knuckle' experiences for me over there in the shotgun seat holding on for dear life as we we're getting blown all over the road and she was constantly fighting the wheel just to keep the RV in our lane. We very highly recommend it. Peace.
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

We had ours installed when the coach needed an alignment. Never had to get it adjusted. 8,000 miles ago on our 2007 sightseer. Only regret is I didn't do it sooner. Crosswinds on IR 10 across New Mexico and Arizona are a lot easier to deal with.

Bill
2007 Sightseer 35j
Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Safe-T-Plus Blue for $465.00, free shipping and no tax:
41-230 - Blue Safe-T-Plus Unit
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Good point concerning on-the-fly adjustment. Our previous coach had the Safety Plus which I really liked, however, I might consider trying the Blue Ox system. Do you recall what the ball park cost was for your setup, I'm assuming it was added after your coach purchase, and where you bought it?
I lucked out. A friend had one and sold it to me for $500. I got the mounting bracket through Amazon.com. My friend and I installed it in the RV park for the project we were working. If you are handy at all you can do it.

If you have Amazon Prime you can get it at the best price there. You need to know which model will fit your chassis. Each unit produces the pressure you need. Mine is 270#. Here is the Blue Ox site: Blue Ox Towing Products | Towbars, Baseplates, Accessories | 877-895-1276

I used the floor button option. A dash switch is also provided in the kit but I find that too distracting to find when fighting the wheel. There is no reason why you can't install both.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #37
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I lucked out. A friend had one and sold it to me for $500. I got the mounting bracket through Amazon.com. My friend and I installed it in the RV park for the project we were working. If you are handy at all you can do it.

If you have Amazon Prime you can get it at the best price there. You need to know which model will fit your chassis. Each unit produces the pressure you need. Mine is 270#. Here is the Blue Ox site: Blue Ox Towing Products | Towbars, Baseplates, Accessories | 877-895-1276

I used the floor button option. A dash switch is also provided in the kit but I find that too distracting to find when fighting the wheel. There is no reason why you can't install both.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Thank you, information received.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

After reading everyone's stories and comments on the safety + I ordered one and got it installed today. Got a 3 week trip planned for next week so I will see if I think it's all hype or if it's as good as what I've been reading about them. Hoping for a better ride with less stress on a 4-6 hour drive and hope it does help with the winds and the passing semi's. Will report back with my personal opinion. So stay tuned.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Blue one or red one?
judeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Color for the Safety Steer goes to size & weight of your rig. Check your RV size an choose from that.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote