Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Good news for folks in this area is that we have a reputable facility that can make repairs to the basement air unit.

Grand Strand RV, 843-238-3329, in Myrtle Beach, (actually on 707 in Socastee) fixed my unit for me today. My secondary compressor had developed a leak. They diagnosed this with induction meters by measuring the loads on the unit.

I had told Brian that the previous tech only metered 2.5 amps and they agreed that a reading like that is definitely a problem.

The unit comes out on rails and they 1st had to charge the secondary compressor. It's harder that one can assume because they had to weld into the system a Schrader type valve to do the re-charge. The charging loops are soldered shut at the factory.

Once charged, they can then test for leaks. Once identified, a crack 3/4s of the way around one of the feed lines to the dryer, they had to recover the refrigerant they put into the system.

Now the repair; they welded the crack on the pipe and re-charged the system and checked for additional leaks. Having found none and the pressure being maintained for a number of minutes showed that the repair was good. They straightened a number of fins and gave me a clean bill of health on the condenser core. I was also told that my second compressor didn't loose it's oil and that seems to be a good thing as well.

They restored the unit into its bay and then ran the unit for a number of minutes and metered the temperature inside the coach at the registers. I cheated and used my IR gun. The lowest I saw was about 55 degrees when the inside of the coach at the thermostat indicated 99 degrees.

So I am confident that the repair will hold and we can get on through the summer with a good A/C unit.

Last thing I did on the unit was to change the air filter under the bed.

The closet RVP repair facility other than here in MYR is in Wilmington, NC. So I had to travel all of about 10 miles to get my unit repaired. I believe that I had a good day.

Brian told me that the repair was relatively inexpensive because to replace the unit costs $2,800.00.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Good news for folks in this area is that we have a reputable facility that can make repairs to the basement air unit.

Grand Strand RV, 843-238-3329, in Myrtle Beach, (actually on 707 in Socastee) fixed my unit for me today. My secondary compressor had developed a leak. They diagnosed this with induction meters by measuring the loads on the unit.

I had told Brian that the previous tech only metered 2.5 amps and they agreed that a reading like that is definitely a problem.

The unit comes out on rails and they 1st had to charge the secondary compressor. It's harder that one can assume because they had to weld into the system a Schrader type valve to do the re-charge. The charging loops are soldered shut at the factory.

Once charged, they can then test for leaks. Once identified, a crack 3/4s of the way around one of the feed lines to the dryer, they had to recover the refrigerant they put into the system.

Now the repair; they welded the crack on the pipe and re-charged the system and checked for additional leaks. Having found none and the pressure being maintained for a number of minutes showed that the repair was good. They straightened a number of fins and gave me a clean bill of health on the condenser core. I was also told that my second compressor didn't loose it's oil and that seems to be a good thing as well.

They restored the unit into its bay and then ran the unit for a number of minutes and metered the temperature inside the coach at the registers. I cheated and used my IR gun. The lowest I saw was about 55 degrees when the inside of the coach at the thermostat indicated 99 degrees.

So I am confident that the repair will hold and we can get on through the summer with a good A/C unit.

Last thing I did on the unit was to change the air filter under the bed.

The closet RVP repair facility other than here in MYR is in Wilmington, NC. So I had to travel all of about 10 miles to get my unit repaired. I believe that I had a good day.

Brian told me that the repair was relatively inexpensive because to replace the unit costs $2,800.00.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Glad you got it fixed Mike,if you had needed to go to Wilmington I would've bought ya lunch on Thursday....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm going to Wilmington on Thur (KOA)...can I get a lunch Steve
Old 07-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Mike: Don't forget to also change the A/C filter in the rear closet!!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi DriVer,
When you say The unit comes out on rails' , are the rails part of the chassis, the AC unit, or did the shop supply them? I need to pull ours out to find a rattle when both compressors are running.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Mike: Don't forget to also change the A/C filter in the rear closet!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thudman, Thanks for checking my "six" - got cha' covered.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrTransistor:
When you say The unit comes out on rails' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My understanding is that the A/C unit comes out on a tray like device and slides out laterally. There's slack in the seal tight connected to the controller box so there's room to pull the power cables. You can run the unit while it's pulled out. You have to manage to disassemble the duct on the rear of the unit and there should be some fasteners visible on the bottom of the unit that have to be removed.

Good luck. If you have any questions call Winnebago technical support and they'll answer any questions you might have.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi DriVer,
Great information, and speaking of changing filters, I posted a picture yesterday of the replacement filter I installed instead of the stock 1" filter. For some reason, the picture can't be seen in the photo section (maybe you can help me out with this picture). On the 40 WD, the filter lays flat on the floor under the drawers in the right rear corner of the coach. There's plenty of room so I cut the frame that holds the filter from sliding around and re-positioned it to accommodate a 20" X 20" X 4" pleated filter. Much less pressure drop, better filtration, and more filter area. The cost is higher but they last 4 to 5 times longer between changes and I think the improved air flow for the AC is well worth it. This probably won't be possible for those coaches that have the filter mounted upright under the bed.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

What does ( RVP Repair Facility mean and where in Wilmington, NC is it?
I've had my coach in for the Heat pump problum twice and don't think it works right yet.
my Cabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Call any Winnebago Dealer. They will be able to direct you to the closest Coleman RVP A/C repair facility. Perhaps they have someone on staff that can repair the unit at their dealership.

I know that Grand Strand RV in Myrtle Beach fixes these units.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Mark, Duner provided a link to a pdf file that shows how he removed his basement AC unit. Pretty helpful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/base...ure-42567.html

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTransistor View Post
Hi DriVer,
W I need to pull ours out to find a rattle when both compressors are running.
I am going to bet that the rattle you hear is in the outdoor fan squirrel cage itself. The fix is pretty easy. Order the plastic squirrel cage replacement blower wheel to replace the older metal one that is in your unit. the metal ones are pressed together and over time they start getting loose and start rattling.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the information.
Jerry
my Cabin is offline   Reply With Quote