Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have read a number of posts on basement air and was wondering how it would work in really hot conditions. We just attended Life On Wheels University in Moscow, ID and it was a great experience. During the event, we had a real hot spell with highs hitting over 100 (once to 107)each day. Plus, we were limited to 30 amp power in the parking area and we worried about how the basement air would work.

Fortunately, the basement air on the 2004 Meridian worked great. In fact, our neighbors had a 43' coach with 3 roof airs, but could only run 1 with the 30 amps and it was over 88 in their coach.

Now, I really appreciate the Winnebago A/C and power management systems. Nice engineering that worked great.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have read a number of posts on basement air and was wondering how it would work in really hot conditions. We just attended Life On Wheels University in Moscow, ID and it was a great experience. During the event, we had a real hot spell with highs hitting over 100 (once to 107)each day. Plus, we were limited to 30 amp power in the parking area and we worried about how the basement air would work.

Fortunately, the basement air on the 2004 Meridian worked great. In fact, our neighbors had a 43' coach with 3 roof airs, but could only run 1 with the 30 amps and it was over 88 in their coach.

Now, I really appreciate the Winnebago A/C and power management systems. Nice engineering that worked great.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 07-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

RV Rick: I am also pleased with the basement air. We stay at Lake Havasu AZ sometimes and will spend a week at Sacramento Delta in the 100 plus temps. The basement air cools nicely and what also helps us out is the Franks Electronics autoformer (voltagebooster.com). I don't know how it operates but it will boost the volts so we are able to run ac and other appliances when friends in the same park have to shutdown due to park demand. It also saved me due to a faulty shore power post that smoked when I hooked up. Have a good summer.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I just spent a week in Tucson and drove across the desert to CA. Tucson never dropped below 100 deg. I was pleased with the system performance (2002 Itasco Horizon). When it is this hot, you do need to run it all the time. When we passed Desert City on I10, it hit 123 deg!! At that point, the unit was only able to keep the rig down to 90 deg (this was traveling on hot pavement), so performance understandable.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Spent 2 weeks in Utah, some of it hovering around 110 degrees. I don't have the basement air, but the power management did great for our two roof top airs on 30amp power. I did put our Endless Breeze fan in the bedroom to blow cool air up front though.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv rick:

Now, I really appreciate the Winnebago A/C and power management systems. Nice engineering that worked great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What temperature were you able to cool it to?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We were able to cool it down to the mid 70's without problems. We did cover the windshield with solar reflectors and they really helped.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Funny. I've been thinking the same thing after hearing so many people complain. Went to Vegas with the grandchildren in June. Temps got up to 109 during the day. I had the exterior shades up and inside temp was a steady mid 70's. I also rolled out the awning on the sun side so the sun wouldn't heat up the side of the MH. The next thing I'm installing is window awnings.
I'm very pleased with the basement air.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We are happy to hear the basement air works so great. We were kinda bumbed out that we lost so much storage space, but the comfort might make up for it. Our last Suncruiser was 32" had the roof air, and had a lot more storage. Will have to admit though, this one is a lot nicer.
Kevin
Kevin & Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hello,
Tempts here in Fallon NV were in the high 90's to mid 100's for the past couple of weeks. Our B A/C keeps the Rigg right at 80 deg. DW and I work during the day, the dog stays confy....
Happy
Scratch

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Scratch & Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My basement air works really well also. I can actually get the rig too "cold" for the wife! Window awnings really help though. Windshield solar screens are next on my list.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

We also wondered if the basement air would keep us cool while in Branson at the IRV rally. We were parked in full sun and temps reached mid 90's most days. With window awnings deployed, patio awning out, black sunscreens on windshield and front side windows, and a foil solar shield in the skylight over the shower, we were able to keep it very comfortable...74-75 was max inside on hottest day.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I was "one of them" that complained but what I noticed was not a one of you had an Alfa so I guess maybe Alfa should go to Maridian and see how they did it. Also I have a 98 Alfa and live in Phoenix so I get a chance to test it quite often in that dry 116 heat day in day out.

Paul
Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I believe that one difference between the Winnebago basement air and Alfa's is that Winnebago ducts the air through ceiling vents while Alfa uses floor vents.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
I believe that one difference between the Winnebago basement air and Alfa's is that Winnebago ducts the air through ceiling vents while Alfa uses floor vents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was just reading some different posts and noticed they said it was mounted in the basement; mine is mounted under the trailer between for frame rails. Was told that one of the problems is it is taking in hot air that is trapped under the trailer. Also noticed some said "when the second compressor kicks in" I don't have the info with me but mine is the same as used in some park models and I do not think there are two compressors. Will nose around when I get a chance to go to an RV show or spend some time at Quartzsite.

Paul