Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

RV trip report and questions

I returned from our second outing with our 2003 31' Minnie, still a bit overwhelming but I am confident it will get better and easier.

Pictures are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPstvPhCVQWmMxDr9

I installed a Hopkins VueSmart camera and I am very happy with how that worked. $120 from camping world and I was able to have it be my rear view mirror by streaming it to my phone. It was easy to install and use. The only gotcha is to change the setting on the phone to not drop the wifi connection because there is no internet. I will probably hook it up to an old phone that is out of service to use solely for the display of the camera. It also has a view of the guidelines of where the backing will be when backing up.

New scissor and pyramid jacks for stabilization of the RV when parked only worked a little bit. I am hoping that is user error for not having them out enough, I just made them snug to the ground.

I wanted to expand the propane to have a tee that splits the propane out to use for stoves/grills that use the throwaway bottles. But the existing line is made exactly to length and I will need to replace it with one 6" longer.... sigh. I think I will need to go to a propane store for that.

Any advice is welcomed.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post

I wanted to expand the propane to have a tee that splits the propane out to use for stoves/grills that use the throwaway bottles. But the existing line is made exactly to length and I will need to replace it with one 6" longer.... sigh. I think I will need to go to a propane store for that.

Any advice is welcomed.
If you don't mind bringing an extra 20lb tank with you, there are adapter hoses to connect a 20lb (or larger) tank to portable grills that are designed to use 1lb disposable tanks.

20 lb. gas tank to 1 lb. gas regulator

Not as convenient if bringing an extra tank is a problem. On the plus side, you probably have a couple extra tanks at home for your grill, fire pit or heater, you are not so limited on where you put your grill, it can be used for other propane powered devices, and you have some extra propane if you need it.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We’ve used extend-a-stay type connections in past. For some site configurations, it didn’t work well, i.e. area I wanted to setup grill/stove was too far from RV. We ended up getting a small 5lb refillable cylinder. Work like described above with 20lb but much smaller to store and move around site. Initial cost is a little high.
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We got a 1 gal propane bottle for use with our portable grill. Hook it up to a tree (3 possible sources to fuel) and bought the adapter hose that goes between the tree and the stove regulator. Fuel last a long time and as a matter of fact the bottle went out of date prior to using all the fuel. Thats the easiest way for us. Got everything at CW but can probably find cheaper on amazon etc.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Those smaller tanks are pricey.....
Old 09-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
Those smaller tanks are pricey.....
Often less cost effective to refill as well. We hate not knowing if we have enough for the next meal or will we run out so we lug the 20 pounder. My wife seriously hates running out while in the middle of meal prep.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I called my local propane store and they said they can make me a longer hose from the regulator to the RV system. That will be how I go forward.

The stanbroil kit I bought comes with a 12' line for the accessories which will work fine for us. I could even go shorter because we have a table we setup basically in front of the propane tank by the outdoor shower station for handwashing.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The small tanks look to have increased cost a lot. I think we paid around $40 6 to 8 years back. As to filling, we just get Ace Hardware to top it off whenever filling the MH tanks. They only charge for gallons filled. A tank of propane will last us a long time.
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Check "E-Trailers" for the extended stay propane fitting. Its a really good thing to have, just use 20lbs tanks. I have never used the BBQ feature becasue its on the other side of the RV, good luck and happy travels
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santee2 View Post
Check "E-Trailers" for the extended stay propane fitting. Its a really good thing to have, just use 20lbs tanks. I have never used the BBQ feature becasue its on the other side of the RV, good luck and happy travels
I have the extended stay fitting, that is what causes the propane hose to be too short. I don't really want to carry and store a 20lb tank with me.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yes instal extena-stay
kg6vvo is offline   Reply With Quote