Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV fridge shuts off 2005 Itasca Spirit

Good Day all campers. I’ve just had my 2005 Winnebago Itasca Spirit out for the first annual camp out. Great Time!
One problem I noticed though. My fridge worked 90% of the time and kept really cool using gas setting (no power). About once per day, usually in the middle of the night the fridge light would flash indicating a fault ie lack of gas. I’d turn the fridge off, then back on and listen as the igniter would go and then I’d hear the compressor come on and it continues to work until the next night. Why is this happening? I opened the exterior fridge compartment and not much access to anything here. I cleaned out a bit but not better. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help all.
Happy Camping.
CanoeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

For the tech savvy types my fridge/freezer is a Norcold model N611.
Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm a bit confused, so some questions may help.

I found a manual for the model you say but I see no compressor on that model?
Are you hearing a compressor and I have the wrong book or is it the fire and fluid moving that you are speaking of hearing?

Can you tell us what light indicates lack of gas as that leans toward a gas solenoid not working as it should but I would like to look more closely at what series of flashes, etc you are getting.

This is the manual I've looked at for info:
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa..._N611vN811.pdf

EDIT:
A small point to consider is the way air can find it's way into the gas line. Has this happens enough times to prove that there is not air in the lines after storage? Not just air that got in when changing tanks?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:01 PM   #4
Site Team

RV absorption fridges don’t have compressors, just an FYI. But as to your issue it can be a simple gas flow problem. Are you seeing this issue every night and at some consistent time?
Old 06-24-2022, 10:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the replies. You are completely correct and I’m not hearing a compressor, but rather the igniter and flame start up.
There’s 2 lights on the fridge that state when flashing check gas.
This is the first trip of the year so air in the lines is a possibility after storage. The tank is built in so no exchange of tanks. I assumed it was a sealed system so not sure how air would get in.
The fault seems to consistently happen during the night. This would add the factor that it’s cooler at night.
To be fair I haven’t done much research in solving this problem yet but thought I’d post it to see if there’s a simple solution that others have found ie sanding off the igniter.
Take care.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The lights should be giving a much better idea on the problem, but they should be flashing in a "code" of sorts.
This does not sound like sanding the igniter is a good idea as it does relight when restarting.
I would look at the code for the lights and try to sort the problem using the troubleshooting list on page 12 of this manual.

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa..._N611vN811.pdf
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
Just Trying to Help

CanoeCanuck-

This is not a Winnebago-specific question, so I suggest posting your question again over on the "sister" Web site, iRV2.com, in this forum:

iRV2/RV Systems and Appliances

There are many similar posts/problems to yours on that forum. One iRV2 user, handle "Old-Biscuit," answers many refrigerator questions.

I'm on both fora several times a day, as are some of the "regulars" on this, the "WinnieOwners" web site.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

You have the manual posted by Morich and, rather than ask our opinions, you should go through the troubleshooting steps in it. Twenty different opinions can lead you on twenty different wild goose chases. Better to rely on the manufacturer. Try to think like an airplane pilot going through an emergency checklist.

Start on page 12. There's a section applicable to the LPG system starting on page 18 but try to avoid jumping ahead. You need to check out everything, keeping careful track of your results.

Fortunately, the LPG system is pretty accessible and easy to work on, but make sure your main tank valve is turned off before disassembling anything and you check for leaks after you reassemble anything.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I’ve tested my thermistor and was getting different values compared to the resistance numbers in the manual you posted. I’ve ordered a new one and we will see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for posting it.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Clean the carbon off the burner - likely all it is. You'll have to disassemble it in the chimney/burner. This needs to be done every couple of years or so.
If it's not staying lit, this is the problem. Once it goes out the thermistor is no longer hot and the controller shuts off the gas.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, fridge