Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Are the Sunblocker shades useful and can they be left attached to the awning roller?
Sunblocker worked well 4 66.67%
Sunblocker not worth it 0 0%
Sunblocker could be left attached to awning roller 4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool RV Awning Sunblocker Shade

Considering buying a Sunblocker drop-down shade for our coach awning. I know they attach to the extra track in the awning roller, and since the awning on our coach is almost straight out with little slope, we'd need one at least 8 feet high to be useful. Is it possible to leave this shade in place when the awning is retracted? Does the awning cover still work properly?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I don't think you can leave it attached. We use one on our 17 foot awning on regular basis. It's easy to install and even easier to remove
RolandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure I have the sunblocker, but mine does attach to the extra track. Only a 4 ft. section attaches to roller the rest of the shade attaches to that section via a zipper. The 4 ft section does roll up with the awning after unzipping the lower section. Hope that makes sense..
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The Sunblocker instructions state to specifically NOT roll up the awning with the Sunblocker in it as it could damage the roller & the shade fabric.

Can't check right now as ours is in storage, but I think we have the Patty O'Shade, which has a 2ft section that can be rolled up in the awning with a 6ft section that zips into it. We removed the 6ft section & store it in a bay, but the 2ft section stays in the roller.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Carefree sells a "EZ Zipblocker" that has a portion that stays in the awning, while the rest zips out for storage. I also have the straight out style of awning, and the EZ Zipblocker really make the awning much more usable.

Terry
2015 27N Vista
twjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Buy one that has a zipper about 2ft down from the top. It stays on the roller tube and can be rolled up. Open the awning and zip on the remaining 4ft section. Most shade drapes are 6ft long unless custom made and come in one ft. width increments. Arizona Awnings make a good product and will custom make to order. I've gotten 2 from them over the years, most recently last month.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I made my own ... about $100 with stakes/bungees/screen material/party light holders/hooks. The Photobucket link is not valid but you can get an idea from the picture. Yes, it's a valued addition. I wanted custom length so I made mine. No, you can't roll it with the awning and, if you have wind sensors, they need to be disabled. I can take mine down in under 3 minutes (not put away neatly ... just down for wind). I made mine with grommets on top and bottom so I can pick up the bottom and hang it from the awning to give me a 1/2 drop for more air.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/diy-a...ct-195599.html
Old 04-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

IT does make it a lot cooler when you have no patio-side shade... And it seems to help in high wind too if you are properly tied down

As for leaving it on the roller....I would not recommend that going down the road (though you can do it) but back before I gave up on my wind sensor (And even since in some cases) I have left it attached when I roll up for wind protection...Alas,,Just not it's not working right.. (Will fix later).
Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
IT does make it a lot cooler when you have no patio-side shade... And it seems to help in high wind too if you are properly tied down

As for leaving it on the roller....I would not recommend that going down the road (though you can do it) but back before I gave up on my wind sensor (And even since in some cases) I have left it attached when I roll up for wind protection...Alas,,Just not it's not working right.. (Will fix later).
The roll up issue on mine is that I have the metal cover at the body end. With the screen attached the diameter is too big.

BTW, my grommets are big enough for painters poles so you can actually extend the screen parallel to the awning.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
...Only a 4 ft. section attaches to roller the rest of the shade attaches to that section via a zipper. The 4 ft section does roll up with the awning after unzipping the lower section...
Quote:
...does make it a lot cooler when you have no patio-side shade... And it seems to help in high wind too if you are properly tied down...
X2 on both of these. Our drop-down section is only 36", however. Lower piece zips on as needed; adds six more feet to the bottom of the shade. Have used it when breezy, but not when gusty.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I don't have the sunblocker. I have tone by ShadePro. Very happy with it. You can order up to a 4 ft drop that stays on the awning roller. There is a 6 ft piece that will zipper to the drop. You can order from 8ft to 19ft width. I only got a 1 ft drop, no issue with awning when rolling up.

The fabric is thinner than my Patty O Shade so fits in roller with no issue.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Appreciate all of the experienced feedback. Didn't know about the type that have a section that can be zipped on to the section that remains attached to the roller, but that will be the type I need since my roller is about 10 feet above ground when deployed..

Thanks to all

Sid
Old 04-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Shafer View Post
Appreciate all of the experienced feedback. Didn't know about the type that have a section that can be zipped on to the section that remains attached to the roller, but that will be the type I need since my roller is about 10 feet above ground when deployed..

Thanks to all

Sid
My awning is high off of the ground also, so I have decided to go with the SunPro zippered awning drop as others have mentioned. Just haven't gotten around to order it yet.

RV Awning Drapes and Drops - Sunpro Mfg
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning