Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rust out under windshield

Just took my 2001 Itasca Sunrise in to get the windshields replaced. the glass company contacted me to let me know that the dash under the windshield is rusted out on the base of the dash and windshields cannot be replaced until the rust issue is repaired.

Is there replacement metal available for the base of the dash?
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Unfortunately, this is a widely reported issue with many Winnebago Class A MH and perhaps for more than 10 years. If you search for this issue, you'll find many similar reports. The solution is find the source of the leak, which is what caused the rust and then rebuild the frame around the window. As far as I now, there is not a replacement part.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I might also suggest you take a look at Youtube on this issue. There are a good many videos about the repair process.

Hope this helps.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb05 View Post
Is there replacement metal available for the base of the dash?
I'm all too familiar with this issue, having started and posted in many threads regarding rusted-out windshield frames for more than a 10-year model-run. Even though there are a zillion posts on the subject, if you call Winnebago, they will gladly tell you the've never heard of the issue!

That said, my experience involved having to pull out both pieces of glass and grinding down and cutting out all the rust, then fabricating and replacing the metal. They then will prime it, paint, re-seal the windshield glass and call it good. The only problem is that this does not actually solve the faulty Winnebago design with the fake (reveal) molding that allows water to easily get behind it and slowly rust out the windshield frame a second time, since the water has no where to go. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Any way to tell if there is rust happening without removing the windshield? I have a 2007 Adventurer 38J. One piece windshield.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Any way to tell if there is rust happening without removing the windshield? I have a 2007 Adventurer 38J. One piece windshield.
As you noted, you have the one-piece windshield, which Winnebago claims they made some changes from the two-piece design. I believe it still uses the reveal molding, which is a rubber molding that 'clicks' into place but doesn't actually seal the gap to the windshield. It can be pulled down, or even removed, and then snapped back into place without damage.

Looking under the molding without completely removing it would give you SOME idea, but necessarily the whole story as to the full extent of potential damage. I would think you'd be able to see enough to determine whether you have an existing problem or all is okay. The glass itself is sealed in place behind the molding, so to pull the glass to see the full extent of the damage means you take the risk of the glass getting broken.

This photo shows rust damage that when the molding was in place, I had no clue as to what was lurking behind the molding. I didn't know to ever look... a $4k repair surprise. Similar damage at the top of the windshield frame was causing the leaks down the inside of the glass and the cabinet over-head, with water landing on the top of the dash as my first clue as to what was going on. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield Frame Rust.jpg
Views:	1279
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	146892  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Thanks for that Ricardo. I'll take a look when things warm up here. It's been hovering around 0 to -5F here lately, and the rig is out in the unheated shed. Things are a little stiff! Hope I don't have to remove the w/s, but if it's rusting maybe better sooner than later? It's dry now and won't be out until April or so.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust