Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #1

I found this on the frame at the lower portion of the entry door to my Brave. I discovered it while performing maintenance on the steps.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2542

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #2

I found this on the frame at the lower portion of the entry door to my Brave. I discovered it while performing maintenance on the steps.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2542

Old 07-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago has an on going problem with rust that they address on a case by case basis. The topic appears in this forum now and then. Do a search on rust and you will find the posts. Bring it to their attention and have a factory rep inspect it look beyond the obvious in the photo there is probably more. You have a 50/50 chance at having it repaired at Winnies expense even though you are out of warranty.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'd be embarassed to show pictures of the rust on my 2004, and there wouldn't be room anyway.

But a 50:50 shot at Winnebago fixing it? Anyone have Winnebago do anything to theirs personally? I've only heard complaints.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sometimes you have to talk loud and long, but Winnie has treated me fairly in dealing with my problems. No complaints here. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
Winnebago has an on going problem with rust that they address on a case by case basis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't have a problem with rust. They have a problem with quality control. That applies to all aspects of building a Winnebago motorhome.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Your partially correct. The quality control problem is with ANY RV. Not the same stringent controls as with most auto manufactures.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
Your partially correct. The quality control problem is with ANY RV. Not the same stringent controls as with most auto manufactures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and that's what keeps me from trading my Brave. I'd just have to start over with some other brand. At least I can fix (so far) all of the problems that Winnebago overlooked. Some folks having problems with leaking slides, etc. are at the mercy and "good will" of Winnebago.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:23 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
Winnebago has an on going problem with rust that they address on a case by case basis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't have a problem with rust. They have a problem with quality control. That applies to all aspects of building a Winnebago motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

W certainly had a rust problem in 2004 and 2005 and perhaps other years. (see my posts on our rust problems and also bbk3's - who now has a Tiffin Bus). There is little doubt in my mind that many of the problems reported have been due to a power leak that has not only caused dead batteries for many in short periods, but that stray power, coupled with road salts (most of the problem MHs were delived in the winter, had no rust protection/uncercoating) and the resulted in galvanization of much of the undercarriage and a terrible mess. I sure hope they've solved this problem.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
I sure hope they've solved this problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While inspecting the chassis on mine I've found a couple of places where spot welds were made for brackets (e.g., the horn mount). They were then painted over with no prep except possibly wire brushed to remove slag. The paint has long since failed, and those welds are rusting.